Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my first bike and was wondering if anti-theft equipment is worth my while. If it's all just to make sleep better at night while it actually doesn't provide much protection, I'd rather save the money.

I live in an apartment complex and have no garage to put it in, so I'm worried about the ol' "pick-up and leave with the bike routine". There are a couple of sign posts I could anchor it to.....

Also, get insurance to cover theft, etc. or no? Any thoughts?

Seabass

·
Registered
6,316 Posts
Cover it up,wth the nastyest painters tarp you can find :lol: or a really grungy motorcycle cover,if you can find one. make it ugly :lol:

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Post + cable lock

If they want it they'll get it. Using a cable lock and attaching the bike to a post will slow them down enough that they may skip your bike and go to something easier.

I use a long Kryptonite cable with a padlock and I park close to a convenient post on the left side of the bike. I use a 3/8" cable that's long enough to go through the rear wheel, over the right side of the bike and around a post on the left side of the bike. That way it can't be tipped over either.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Yes, get comprehensive to cover theft. That's the only sure way to cover your ass.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
+3

even though i don't have it. I have powerguard but then I also have a locked garage to park it in.

·
Registered
176 Posts
agree completely with the insurance comments already posted.

my scenario:

1 ) full coverage - minus $300 deductible
2 ) bike is in my carport, chained using both a U-Lock and a chain to a metal post that is housed in concrete
3 ) Xena XN15 Disk Alarm
4 ) bike is wedged in the carport between my car and the side of the house
5 ) bike's steering column is locked
6 ) motion sensing lights sweeping the carport and area directly in front of it
7 ) 2 "sensitive" dogs sleeping within 25 feet of the carport, and they like to bark
8 ) trusty handgun and 12ga at my side :D

but, yes, i'm still worried every night that it will be gone in the morning.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts