Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was getting a little stiff in the knees, these old abused gams having had their fair share and then some of athletic overuse. The '05 SVs just folds me up a little more than is comfy after a couple hours. What to do?

I tried the Buell footpegs, and though I really like where they put my foot (that 1" makes SUCH a difference in the knee angle), hitting the brake and shifter peg was a little more contortion that I was willing to do on the road.

So I got a set of riser plates here on the classifieds to put on upside-down, and install the rearsets in the closest holes for the least amount of rearward movement.

I installed the shifter side first. Plate went on perfectly, using green LocTite. Then the rearset... Smooth. Put on the rod extender. Still an easy job.

Then I went to the brake side... And what I thought was going to be a 20 minute job turned into 2 hours as I had to hack off and grind away almost half of the riser so that it would clear the tabs for the brake light switch and the spring attachment for the brake peg. All I can say is I'm glad the rearset covers up the hack job for the most part. But I did get it on there.

The brake line had enough slack that it's actually a better run to the master cylinder (in the stock placement, the line almost looked kinked). I don't know if some after-market rearsets wouldn't have this interference problem, but even if I wanted to raise the rearset instead of lower it, I would've had to do most of the same mod to the plate to clear the spring attachment tab.

Just a little rambling on my "mod" from last night...

Carry on.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I designed and had machined some brackets to lower my pegs 3/4' and had NO problems. Probably because I designed them to clear everthing. I would be happy to share the pattern with any 1st genners looking for a little more room. Unfortunately the machine shop that made them folded, but any shop with a plasma or water cutter could make them for you. Cost me $50 for the pair.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I designed and had machined some brackets to lower my pegs 3/4' and had NO problems. Probably because I designed them to clear everthing. I would be happy to share the pattern with any 1st genners looking for a little more room. Unfortunately the machine shop that made them folded, but any shop with a plasma or water cutter could make them for you. Cost me $50 for the pair.
I'd love to see that pattern as I have a buddy who works at a machine shop. my email is [email protected] thanks in advance,

Jake

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
wierd, i had no fitment issues at all when i mouted mine upside down.
I was looking at my bike and it didn't look like there would be any problems either. Maybe the 04+ have different frames too? Would love to see a pic of this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts