Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a 220lb rider and needed to upgrade the suspension on a 2005 naked 650. After researching options on svrider I decided to go with the ZX-14. I found one on eBay and ended up getting it for $65 with shipping. In preparation I bought the M10 x 1.5 x 50mm bolt recommended in another post (definitely a perfect fit). I installed a ZX-14 shock over the weekend.

After some possibilities of snow I finally got to ride it yesterday. For all of the big riders out there that haven't upgraded your suspension - it's worth every penny. Granted the front suspension is still stock and the sag still needs adjusted the change in the ride is tremendous. No squishy, bouncy feeling. On accelerating, you don't feel the back end sink. The bike feels solid with better control.

ZX-14 +1

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just installed my zx14 shock this past weekend - can't wait to finish off the rest of my mods-in-progress so I can take the bike off the stands and give it a test ride :)

·
Registered
375 Posts
I am 215lbs without gear, but ride in full leathers, etc. (heavy)

I did the ZX14 shock this winter, along with .95 sonic springs and 20wt oil.

Although not perfect, it is a HUGE improvement from the stock setup. Not to mention the money saved got used for a lot of other parts.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

Regards
Darryl

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
.95 sonic springs are on my wish list. Hopefully I'll get them early this summer.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I didn't have much compression remaining on the stock forks during hard braking or hard turn. (checked by tying a zip-tie around the bottom of the fork and check how far the fork compressed, zip-tie moved up, after a hard ride)

I installed Sonic Springs .90 with 20wt oil.. (210lbs)

The bike rides much nicer and doesn't super dive during breaking or dive during engine braking. I did increase the Pre-load on the stock shock, to help balance the bike out after the test ride, and sag check. I don't think I am going to ZX-14 shock in the rear, after doing ALLOT of reading on it.. Unmatched shocks to the bike throws the Shock and Linkage out of whack, which greatly effects how the bike handles in a turn, also greatly effects the Geometry of the bike. Which could lead to increased Head shake or Tank slappers. From what I read, Solid Tires make a incredible difference.. They are my next purchase..

·
Registered
789 Posts
does the ZX14 lower or raise the seat height?
is there any "battery" removal/relocation/box-mod'ing required?

I've got the ZX10 (06/07)... just waiting to be installed :(

·
Registered
134 Posts
The ZX14 helped my turning greatly, if you think it won't be my guest get something else better for more money : )

Tires do help but not as much as this did as I had tires before this and not much on the bad compressed forks riding around, that didn't help me out at all.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have an 04' (2nd gen) 650 and was wondering if there is a specific year of the ZX14 i would need to fit without too much mods?

·
Registered
130 Posts
What year ZX14, also I see some concerns here about throwing things out of whack by doing this. I plan on sonic spring 1.1 front with oil then on the rear just need to figure out what I am going to do without killing the bike's handling characteristics. Also what bolt do I need from the ZX if any do I install it like for like or do I need to reposition the shock in any way?

·
Registered
15 Posts
What year ZX14, also I see some concerns here about throwing things out of whack by doing this. I plan on sonic spring 1.1 front with oil then on the rear just need to figure out what I am going to do without killing the bike's handling characteristics. Also what bolt do I need from the ZX if any do I install it like for like or do I need to reposition the shock in any way?

It is a 08 ZX-14 shock. I bought it from a guy that parts out brand new bikes and he has 0 mile shocks. I don't think it has 'killed' the bikes handling characteristics in any way. I personally feel the bike is much more stable in turns. Keep in mind I am 235 and when i removed my stock shock from the bike i could see where it was completely all the way compresed when i was on the bike. I didn't use any bolts from the ZX-14 shock i just used the stock bolts.

One side note on the ZX-14 shock however.. there is a SLIGHT clearance issue on my model.. I was not able to install it without taking out a small piece of unnecessary across from here the top of the shock bolts in. Once that piece was out it installed quite easily.

·
Registered
130 Posts
It is a 08 ZX-14 shock. I bought it from a guy that parts out brand new bikes and he has 0 mile shocks. I don't think it has 'killed' the bikes handling characteristics in any way. I personally feel the bike is much more stable in turns. Keep in mind I am 235 and when i removed my stock shock from the bike i could see where it was completely all the way compresed when i was on the bike. I didn't use any bolts from the ZX-14 shock i just used the stock bolts.

One side note on the ZX-14 shock however.. there is a SLIGHT clearance issue on my model.. I was not able to install it without taking out a small piece of unnecessary across from here the top of the shock bolts in. Once that piece was out it installed quite easily.
Which piece did you have to move? The piece from in front of the battery? Is that what you mean? Sorry maybe I am tired and not reading this correctly but I don't understand.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts