Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I came into work this morning and found out that a co-worker’s son had an accident. He, my co-worker, showed me a few pictures and I asked his permission to share a couple with you guys. He told me to go ahead, that he wants other riders to take notice of how important it is to wear a helmet as well as proper gear when you ride.

Here is the story. I am keeping thing vague on purpose.

The rider was going west bound down a highway. A driver approached and stopped at an intersection with the intent to head east bound on the same highway. The driver lunged forward but stopped again which the rider took that the vehicle operator did notice him.
When the rider was about 20 feet from the intersection the driver then tried to pull out. The rider applied his brakes leaving a skid mark but there was not enough room to make a complete stop. The rider impacted the driver’s front bumper and/or front quarter panel, sending the bike and rider over the vehicle. The rider first made contact with his head then both he and the bike skid across the pavement across both lanes and into the shoulder. By luck, or the grace of God, there was no oncoming traffic.

The rider has sustained a number of lacerations and abrasions but walked away with no broken bones, and sustained no head trauma. His Icon Domain 2 helmet, pictured below, saved his life. Unfortunately this rider did no protect the rest of his body in like manner. Skater shoes, jeans, and a backpack did little to nothing to save the rest of his body from the road rash. In fact his father said the shoes flew right off and his little toe sustained a good bit of rash. It does sound like the backpack did save a portion of his back.

Please take a couple of things from these pictures. First, his helmet is the reason he is still with us today. Second, wear all of your gear. The rider’s father told me he did not wear gear because it has been so hot lately. Sweat washes off; road rash has to be scrubbed out.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Please keep comments respectful as I am going to be sending his father the link to the post.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,871 Posts
Very sad. Best wishes on his recovery.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Definitely sad. I was trying to convince my brother this weekend to throw his jacket on when we went riding but he just said its too hot. I am going to end up buying him a mesh jacket just so he has something cooler than his textile one and hopefully, he will wear it on hotter days.

·
Registered
190 Posts
That's terrible,
I like to think that I'm the opposite stereotype of young-aged riders, don't drive crazy, no sleeveless, flip flops, sunglasses, etc. The only thing that has the less protection on me are my jeans, which I'm looking into buying a few pair of Kevlar jeans, can anyone vouch on how better their protection is vs regular denim jeans?

·
Registered
688 Posts
So that looks EXTREMELY painful. I must be a real wus- I did a baseball dive to catch our cat escaping the apartment this weekend, slid three feet on the carpet with my elbow and have no skin there now- its like a 2 x 1 " area...

And it hurts like HELL. I cant imagine my whole back being like that... jesus.

Best of luck to him and his kid-

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Wow.... wear your gear people, no matter how hot it is im always geared up, and this is why.

·
Registered
850 Posts
That's terrible,
I like to think that I'm the opposite stereotype of young-aged riders, don't drive crazy, no sleeveless, flip flops, sunglasses, etc. The only thing that has the less protection on me are my jeans, which I'm looking into buying a few pair of Kevlar jeans, can anyone vouch on how better their protection is vs regular denim jeans?
I think you'd e better off with mesh over-pants, like the Joe Rocket Phoenix 3.0. I'm pretty impressed with the pair I just got, and they have armor, unlike kevlar jeans.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I think you'd e better off with mesh over-pants, like the Joe Rocket Phoenix 3.0. I'm pretty impressed with the pair I just got, and they have armor, unlike kevlar jeans.
Not entirely true, there are several kevlar jean offerings that either come with or make provision for adding your own armor.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I forgot to mention that the rider was on a 02 sv650 n. Welds at he front of the frame are cracked, tank smashed, and the usual damage from a slide.

Ride safe guys.

·
Registered
7,584 Posts
I put my mesh jacket on for the first time this season, after wearing race-level leather since mid-spring and holy crap...the mesh breathes nicer, but it feels so much flimsier.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
I put my mesh jacket on for the first time this season, after wearing race-level leather since mid-spring and holy crap...the mesh breathes nicer, but it feels so much flimsier.
I know the feeling. Went on my first ride since last July this past Saturday. I rode a friends EN500 Vulcan on some of the main Georgia mountain roads. I had my AGV Sport Solare mesh on. I scraped a peg in one of the first turns because I thought I was taking it easy and wouldn't have to focus on body positioning. After that little pucker moment I made sure I brought back all my Total Control skills. Like hell I was going down in that jacket.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was contacted and told that the rider is ok with the pic posted again. So now you can see a portion of the damage done.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Sweat washes off; road rash has to be scrubbed out.
And that's why I'm sweating my ass of under a jacket... I agree with the others about going from leathers to mesh. There is no comparison, leathers will definitely hold up better in a crash, but mesh breathes way better.

Hope a speedy recovery for the rider. It was a painful lesson, and hopefully he learns from it.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts