Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What type of mileage are the Michelin Pilot Road 3's getting compared to other brands. I currently have Bridgestone battleax bt023 but have less than 5K on them and there about shot on the rear they were great tires just looking for more mileage and heard the Road 3's were getting upwards of near 10k . I mostly commute about 50 miles a day not many twisties in NW FL looking for a good quality tire I'm looking to keep the rear under 200$

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
That's very poor mileage for the 023s since your not shredding the twisties. I thought they were better tires than that. I would think most sport touring tires would get ~8k with average commuting riding, not aggressive on the SV. I got 8.5K on a set of Dunlop Qualifiers mostly sport riding. I suppose type of road bed is also a factor in tire wear. A lot of cement roads where you ride?

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I have about 11,000 miles on my rear PR2 and still have a good chunk of life left in the centre. I'd expect the PR3 to be just as good, if not better.

I'm replacing the front PR2 (~19,000 miles) with a PR3 this Friday, the sides are at the wear bars but the centre still has meat.

I mainly commute, weekend 'sport-touring' and the odd track day.

Once the rear PR2 is toast I'll try the PR3.

·
Registered
5,871 Posts
I took off a rear PR2 with 6k miles on it in preparation for the track and I would guess it still had 40% tread life. So I would guess 10k to be pretty fair.

My riding is pretty aggressive, I wear the sides out before the center. So a commuter may have different results.

I put a pair of PR3s on in exchange. They are marginally better if at all in normal conditions, but notably better in wet. I did 100 miles in the rain on Saturday, and they are phenomenal in the wet.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I took off a rear PR2 with 6k miles on it in preparation for the track and I would guess it still had 40% tread life. So I would guess 10k to be pretty fair.

My riding is pretty aggressive, I wear the sides out before the center. So a commuter may have different results.

I put a pair of PR3s on in exchange. They are marginally better if at all in normal conditions, but notably better in wet. I did 100 miles in the rain on Saturday, and they are phenomenal in the wet.
Have you find the PR3s scallop any more/less than the PR2s? (possibly due to the different sipes)

I'm looking forward to trying the PR3s in the wet. I've been really happy with the PR2s in wet conditions.. so if the PR3s can perform better than them, it's all gravy now.

·
Registered
5,871 Posts
Scalop?

Yea, when I went to 3s I heard they were better in wet, but was so happy with my 2s I really couldn't image them being much better... they are.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[/IMG] this is what my battle\ax bt023 rear looks like with 4,941 miles on it i don't think it has much life left in it

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Commuting miles will do that to a tire, squaring off the middle with plenty on the edges. Maybe you should look at a pure touring tire.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Dunno about the 3, but I have PR2's on my SV and with 5k on them so far, they hardly look worn at all.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks whats your thoughts on the Michelin road 2 or 3's im looking for a good all around tire with higher mileage i have no real problem handling wise

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well I called the shop today and talked to them about there goof they said a lot of guys request the larger tire and said if I wanted to come back and change it back to stock size they would have no problem doing so. He seemed shocked that it had happened, I also mentioned the rims size difference and the chance of the tire profile being changed. He agreed and said it would only change it about 2mm and I measured the overhang of the tire compared to the rim and its about 1/2 to 3/4 of a inch looks good so I am going to ride it like it is and keep everyone posted on wear and mileage on it. The weather has been crappy this week so still 0 miles so far.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts