Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike didn't come with the manual so this may seem like a silly question but what do the adjustments on the top of the forks do? And what adjustments can be made to the rear shock? I'd like to increase my ride height a bit but don't know how. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No one knows anything?

·
OberKommandant
6,128 Posts
You shouldn't use your suspension adjustments to increase/decrease ride height. The stock 1k suspension is adjustable for preload, compression and rebound damping.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So what do the adjustments on the top of the forks do?

·
OberKommandant
6,128 Posts
one is for preload, it can change the ride height, but that's not it's purpose, its supposed to be used to set static sag. The other is for either compression or rebound damping, I can't remember which at the moment and I'm nowhere near a manual. The other damping adjustment is at the bottom of the fork near the brakes.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
See that's my confusion, because there's the blue adjustment, and then another one below (looks like a hex bolt) I don't know which is which. Also, I heard that the right and left forks do different things. I don't know, frustrating???

·
OberKommandant
6,128 Posts
Both fork legs perform the same function. The outer adjuster that looks like a hex is your preload adjustment. The one inside it that looks like screwdriver slot is your damping adjustment. I no longer have the stock forks and I just can't remember if it's rebound or compression on the top of the fork. The other damping adjustment is near the bottom of the fork.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Both fork legs perform the same function. The outer adjuster that looks like a hex is your preload adjustment. The one inside it that looks like screwdriver slot is your damping adjustment. I no longer have the stock forks and I just can't remember if it's rebound or compression on the top of the fork. The other damping adjustment is near the bottom of the fork.
An easy way to remember which is which......

Rebound is Right in front of you.
(compression is the one at the bottom)

·
OberKommandant
6,128 Posts
An easy way to remember which is which......

Rebound is Right in front of you.
(compression is the one at the bottom)
Thanks. I keep getting it mixed up because on inverted forks its the other way 'round, so I just always check the manual.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Thanks. I keep getting it mixed up because on inverted forks its the other way 'round, so I just always check the manual.
I don't know what year/model USDs you have, but K6+ 600/750 Showa forks have the rebound adjuster on top.

This is straight out of the service manual.

·
OberKommandant
6,128 Posts
I don't know what year/model USDs you have, but K6+ 600/750 Showa forks have the rebound adjuster on top.

This is straight out of the service manual.
Do you have the same page from the SV1000 manual? Because I suspect it says something different.

·
Registered
437 Posts
As a matter of fact......

The assemblies are different, but the adjustments are in the same place.

·
OberKommandant
6,128 Posts
Then I stand corrected, I was mis-informed at some point.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts