Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bike was acting weird recently, stall out at red light. Just had to wait a bit then it would fire up again.

Wasn't so lucky today after work. Put the key in, turn it on, lights all came on normally. Put it in neutral, flip the kill switch, pull in the clutch, push the ignition button and all lights went out after hearing one tiny click sound.

Turn off the key, turn on immediately, still no power. Waited for 20 seconds or so, turned on, power came up, retry ignition, same symptom, lost all power again. I knew the power is completely lost for a while because trip meter is reset to 0. I am guessing some fuses is blown, but would appreciate any other possible cause and suggestions?

Thanks,
Mark

·
Super Moderator
9,145 Posts
...pushed the ignition button and all lights went out after hearing one tiny click sound.
Also, make sure your battery is fully charged. Once charged,

1. Load test the battery. Monitoring the voltage across the terminals while you crank the engine. You should see around 10v. Much less than that means your battery still isn't fully charged, or needs replacement.

2. Check your charging system. You should see about 14.5v across the battery at 5K RPM.

Good luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
darn it, forgot to bring multimeter to work today. Will do the test tomorrow. I have done the battery and rectifier('08 1000rr) replacement two months ago. I sure hope it wasn't battery this time.

But completely lost all power when push ignition, that doesn't ring a bell for anyone? ;D

·
Super Moderator
9,145 Posts
...But completely lost all power when push ignition, that doesn't ring a bell for anyone? ;D
So far it sounds like a classic weak/dead battery problem. When you push the ignition, you engage the starter motor (heavy load) which then saps what little is left in the weak/dead battery. That's my guess. How old is your battery?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It was battery. I took it home, charged it and at first try, same symptom showed up, but power came back quickly. Tried again and it fired up.

Measured the voltage with bike reving at 4K only gives about 13.8. Gonna double check the rectifier this weekend. If rectifier is pumping out good juice, guess I'll run a 12 gauge wire directly rectifier's output to battery terminal.

thanks for the help everyone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.