Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes...but this one IS different!:) It is because I just came back from my first ride on a Sargent. Had the Suzuki Gel, which is a big improvement over the stock plank...but wasn't getting the job done for me. Took the cover off and cut about 1 1/2" of foam out pretty much just leaving the gel pad and this helped a LOT. But....the buttocks were still petitioning the brain for a better seat after a few hours.

So....today we ride on a Sargent.:) YES! That is MUCH better. It is low, very low which gets me down out of the air blast a bit more and makes sharp turns seem easier. The 'pocket' is back pretty far which forces a bit more lean, but it feels good even if pushed back against the pillion. The Gel didn't feel right if I slid back to the pillion pad....like I was over the edge of it. This Sargent is much, much thinner up against the tank too....so scrunching up against the tank feels better and offers an alternative seating position for putting maximum weight on the front wheel.

Big impacts (like frost/heat heaves) don't launch me like before. The seat absorbs them better, and having my legs tucked a bit tighter makes it easier to unload the bum in preparation for the hit. This seat allows some moving around to different positions which seems to help maintain the blood flow better. After 150 miles I wasn't dying for an excuse to stop! Amazing.:)

So, I just wanted to share my butt-joy with my friends.;)

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Thank you, I have been searching for a seat and while Sargent seats seem to be the go to, it is always nice to read a review from a board member.

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
ive tried stock, not awful but not comfy. survived a 5hr ride home and i could still walk normal lol

tried a corbin, couldnt stand it for more than 15 mins.

ive got a modded gel seat, really nice in comparison.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have a Sargent as well and love it.

My dad used to have an SV with a Holeshot (Corbin-based) seat, which was okay, but I prefer the Sargent.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Awesome that you found a seat that works for you! Congrats on the Butt Joy :)

I had my stock seat modded by Spencer and I love it :D

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
had all three on my SV at one time or another...

the Suzuki seat felt like you were gonna roll offf the back of it...

the Sargent was day nite better than the OEM gel seat, but, it was to 'sticky' for me...my butt would stay more planted...

ahhh, the Corbin, 2nd mod i did... i settled with this seat after a spirited weekend ride..i could move around on it much easier then the Sargent..39XXX miles later, it died with the bike... and i put one on my 08 when i got it...the seat is firm, yet soft/pliable...no monkey buttt, achey buttt..and trust me, i got a bony assss...

·
Registered
76 Posts
I got a sargent as well. I just put some meaningful time on it the past two weekends. Very comfy as opposed to stock. Also, I haven't noticed the height difference. In fact, it seems to ride higher.

The sweet spot of the seat is definitely toward the back, and that's cool....unless you are super short.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Great review!

I also tried my Gel seat for the first time this weekend on a 3+ hr ride, it worked perfectly, my bum did not hurt at all. I'm just not used to the U shape positioning it gives you (higher in the rear, slumps in the middle, crotch hugging tank a bit). But it's not too bad, I also noticed when leaning off the bike the seat is narrower (not visually though), so instead of having the pad holding me on the bike, I was kind of in the air a bit when taking the tight long turns (not good for the track). So ill be swapping to the OEM seat at the track, but thats not what the Gel seat is intended for anyway.

·
Registered
274 Posts
If the words "Butt Joy" are mentioned in this thread one more time, Google will start filtering it out of search results for "sargent" or "corbin" + sv650.

Oh, whoops..

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have had the original seat on my 01 for 28,000 miles now. It wasnt to bad when i was 20 but now at 31 i want to ghost ride the bike into a ditch after about 40 miles and just walk homd. Maybe im just getting old or i need a new seat. I have a 200cc dual sport that i can ride 200+ miles of gravel/offroad without any real problems. I think its about time for an old man bike for this old man. The bad part is every time i test ride a different bike they feels like a buick compared sv. Nothing seems to dart and weave as quick as these little bikes.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Ignorance must really be bliss because while my wife regularly amuses herself by pointing at my hind quarters saying that there is nothing there, the OEM seat seems to work for me.

I ride with my rearset pegs pretty high and I have long legs. I think that a decent portion of my weight is put on those pegs.

I'll ride long distances and not even dismount when fueling up.

·
Registered
274 Posts
What's the reason you don't dismount while fueling? In a hurry running from the cops or something?

I'd think it would be a bit precarious, and asking for trouble, to go through the process of fueling up while balancing the bike. I'm sure you're comfortable with it, but that's just my uninitiated view.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I hated the stock after 60 miles. I tried to mod it myself and that was a fail. I got a seat modded by spencer off of ebay. It would be great but its really meant for up upright riding position. The little butt cheek cradle is all the way to the back. I have a 1KS and hug the tank so this isn't much more comfortable than the stock...unless i sit all the way back and upright, at which point i can only reach the throttle with my ringer tips. I just did a 400 mile weekend and my ass was killing me.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
What's the reason you don't dismount while fueling? In a hurry running from the cops or something?

I'd think it would be a bit precarious, and asking for trouble, to go through the process of fueling up while balancing the bike. I'm sure you're comfortable with it, but that's just my uninitiated view.
Running from the cops?

Its really not that hard to balance the bike when fueling up. I do it all the time, especially if I have a tailbag on there which requires me to take a long step over it.

Pull up, turn around and open tailbag for wallet, fill up, put wallet back, ride off. Less than 5 mins and you're moving again.

Been doing this for 7-8 years and never once had a problem.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I have a Sargent saddle as well and like it much better than the OEM gel seat.

I am sending a stock seat to Spencer to modify to see if I can get something even better.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Spencer's seat mod is better than stock, but definitely not better than a Sargeant.

I didn't notice TOO much of a difference with his LD mod, but it is better than stock, I also have a bony behind though

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Spencer's seat mod is better than stock, but definitely not better than a Sargeant.

I didn't notice TOO much of a difference with his LD mod, but it is better than stock, I also have a bony behind though
I'm a fatass :lmao:

·
Registered
173 Posts
What's the reason you don't dismount while fueling?
Quicker, easier, and the tank gets completely full (a habit I developed on my 250r, which would only go to almost full if on the side stand).

If you don't have problems sitting at a light, you shouldn't have problems fueling up on the bike. Just pull up right next to the card reader, so you don't have to lean to reach it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts