Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know how long these will last but they are so much nicer then my pilot roads. I finally got to really scrub them in today and compared to the pilot roads, the profile is perfect and they feel immeasurably much more supple and forgiving, even pumped to 41 PSI in the rear (which is what I kept the PR at).

The most interesting thing is that they appear to fit our rims really well. I was going pretty easy today as there was sand (plus i'm rusty) but the wear is right to edge of the tread. On the pilot roads and d220, the tire was pinched to the point that there's no way you (well, I) would ever be able to use the whole profile. Again comparatively, this profile appears perfect. [[on the side pictured (left), my toe touched once, on the other side, there is a 1/8" chicken strip.]]

I hit a very jarring (but unseen) pothole or rock or something leaned over and the front stepped out half a foot and caught as if nothing had happened. (mind you, I was taking it easy; this was a tight 40mph curve so it wasn't totally heroic but nonetheless very reassuring.)

~so far, 200 miles and many grins on these: (now, will they last the same 11000+ miles as the pilot roads?)

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
I'm glad to hear good things about these tires. ZeroSpawn did a great review here for those who might have missed it.

I've got Michelin Pilot Power tires on my K6 and although the grip is really terrific, they seem to want to "fall" into corners or tighten my line for me. I guess that if I tripled my speed into the corners this might not be a problem ;D. From what I've read, the RoadSmart tires are more neutral handling, but still have very good grip.

I'll be ready for another set of tires soon and RoadSmarts are on the short list, for sure.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I just put a set of RoadSmarts on my SV a couple weeks ago. Got roughly 100 miles on them.(been busy, and the weather has sucked here or it would be more miles) and I love these tires. Very smooth when cruising long stretches of straights, and they've handled whatever I've been able to throw at them thru the curves so far without flinching one bit.

I run them at 36psi, and they feel good under me.

Hope to get out tomorrow to ride some, and this coming week, the weather looks good, so I should put some miles on the bike.(as well as my new bars once my grips arrive)

·
Banned
296 Posts
Is your duel compound extremely distinct shades? My last set wasn't, it's got me a little concerned...

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I believe between this and ZeroSpawn's review I have been swayed from the Pilot Road 2's I've been leaning towards.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
tcl,
When you refer to Pilot Roads, you are referring to the originals, not the PR2's correct?
ac
Right, original single-compound PR. Basically, I kept the Pilot roads at ~41 PSI and could tell (they were a bit harsh). I also thought the profile was a bit round so turn in was on the slow side. Aside from these things, I really liked the tires; the PR compound and tread was second to none in the wet/ cold and they wore like iron. I have heard that the PR2's have a much better profile, which you are likely aware of.

Maybe ass sensors are mis-calibrated but with the roadsmart, I couldn't really tell the difference between 36 and 42 PSI. If anything, 42 felt better.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Well I have 1500 miles on mine and feel that they stomp my old conti road attacks in wet and dry grip. I have locked the front under braking in the rain, and the tires kept goin for grip. I feel a ton more grip and confidence leaned over and pretty much apply throttle when ever I feel like it. Turn in and stability are perfectly medium. I'm totaly sold on them, just wonder what my milage is gonna b as they ask me to give them a whoopin every time I get on the bike.

·
Registered
639 Posts
~so far, 200 miles and many grins on these
YA BABY!! Welcome to excellence. :highfive:

I'm glad to hear good things about these tires. ZeroSpawn did a great review here for those who might have missed it.
Thanks for the bump. :rock:

I believe between this and ZeroSpawn's review I have been swayed from the Pilot Road 2's I've been leaning towards.
Dood don't fight it. Just relax, let it consume you. Let the RoadSmarts have their way with you, I won't tell anyone.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
[Shaggy rampage]

It would have made a lot of sense to post this thread in the Product Reviews section - http://forum.svrider.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9

[/rampage]
I'll at least amend nex's thread later. I posted here because I hoped someone would have some insight on the mystery of why I have no chicken strips with these tires. In Zero's thread, someone mentioned that they measured 1/2" narrower. I'm guessing that mounted they are the same width.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts