Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to commute daily to work on the freeway.. now this is fine on weekends and nights when I can take it easy but I do not feel safe under 5k rpm when there is an army of SUVs on my tail.. Is it a problem to take it up to 5.5k or 6 or maybe even 7k in short burts to pass/stay out of the way etc?? I know i should not be redlining and I am also doing quite a bit of low RPM stop/go city driving too.. by the way the bike has 200 miles on it if that matters.

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
When breaking in, they recommend that you load and unload the motor.
Revving up and down is better than droning on a freeway for 2 hours.

Peaking at 6.5 k occasionally and bringing it back down immediately to get out of an SUV's path will not hurt it.

Take it easy, don't redline it. It is a tough motor and if anything bad happens it will be under warranty

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I mean im only on the freeway for like 30 minutes at a time and I try to very the speed even then.. but sometimes I just need to get away from those cars! But when I am in the city i bring it up thru the gears, vary speed etc... Hopefully it will be ok, worse comes to worse and I will have to rebuild the engine later on or burn a little extra oil

·
Registered
899 Posts
When I was breaking mine in and I had to ride the freeway I would run it up to 6k then let off the gas, back up to 6k and let off the gas, etc. Kinda weird driving, but you don't want to run at a constant RPM during the break in. BTW, I don't think hitting 6k is a problem on the new engine.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cyclerider105 said:
When I was breaking mine in and I had to ride the freeway I would run it up to 6k then let off the gas, back up to 6k and let off the gas, etc. Kinda weird driving, but you don't want to run at a constant RPM during the break in. BTW, I don't think hitting 6k is a problem on the new engine.
yeah thats what I was doing, speeding up to 6k or so then let off when i was ahead of traffic and then repeat when they catch up

·
Registered
629 Posts
I have been very careful on my motorcross bikes and try to get at least 4-5 good easy rides in and let the bike cool down overnight between each then the 5-6 ride I would start really getting on the gas and the 6-7 ride drive it like I was racing it. Then one day I let a buddy of mine do some porting/polishing to the motor and we basically cranked it up a few times and drove it around the house and then let it cool...few hours later we were running it like we were racing and I never had a problem out of the bike. I talked to another friend this weekend about the break-in (he is a mechanic at a dealer in town) and he stated the 500 miles in his opinion was pushing it to keep it under 5k and really pushing it on the 1000 mile mark under 7.5k or should I say a litle excessive. He did state that he would not redline it for the first 500 but he has always rode his bikes (dirt and street=Ducati) like he normally would once he got a few hundred miles on them. Heck the first night I rode mine I think I hit 7.5k due to the same reason but it was only for a second. I had 30 miles on it, but would rather get out of bunch of idiots way than be sandwiched between two cars.

I think that you will be fine as long as you aren't riding it like you are racing it. I would not run a full synthetic oil in it until you get at least 1000-1500 miles on it so the motor can properly break-in then I would start running full sythetic. My dirtbikes..I did both, full synthetic from the start and others I waited...never had a problem granted they aren't made to last 100,000 miles but I never had anything break or and adnormal wear when I would change the piston and rings.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im gonna throw some Rotella T in there tomorow, Im not sure what kind of oil they put in it at the dealership

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
You're doing fine. Short bursts as high as 9K are not a big deal. I'm pretty conservative about break-in, but brief shots to get out of traffic won't do any harm.

Rotella is a good choice. Diesel-specific oils are all good choices, including Delo and Delvac.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My sv650s has 330 miles on it now. I can totally relate to reving up and letting off when cruising on the highway during break in. I've been doing some highway mileage during the break-in period. In addition to varying the rpm's, when I'm on the highway, I also turn off the highway. Even if its for a minute or so I bring the bike to a complete stop, or I'll go slowly down a side street for about 1/4 mile. Then I turn around and get back on the highway, and I vary the rpm's again. I think the highest I've gotten the rpm's up to is 5.5k.

I saw the previous post about not riding it like you're racing it. I've read differing opinions. Some experts say riding the engine hard during the break in is a good thing. And that this may actually improve the bike's performance, even if its only a slight 5-10%. I think Suzuki knows well given their experience so I'm going to stick to keeping it below 5k for the 1st 500 miles. However, I do accelerate pretty quick at times to "push" the bike just a little bit- to stress the engine a bit, plus I like the way it feels  :D I do this rarely- does anyone think it can hurt?

I think its going to be hard keeping it below 7.5k rpm's between 500 - 1000 miles!

·
Registered
408 Posts
I broke in my wife's 05 and we(the bike and I) hit 10.5k when the bike was still showing 0 on the odometer. My wife said she saw a little puff of black smoke come out right at first and that was it. Ride it hard and you will be rewarded with a good piston ring seal. Baby it and you run the risk of glazing the cylinders and losing compression. Suzuki won't tell you to get on a brand new bike and throttle it because when you kill yourself acting like an idiot mommy will come with a lawyer wanting money. Why do you think the first 10 pages of the owners manual don't even mention the bike you just bought? All they talk about is riding saftey.

Use this link and follow it to the letter and you'll be fine. Trust me, I've broke in 4 different motorcycles like this and it's never failed.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Gulf Coast, if you have any questions just PM me.

·
Registered
184 Posts
To break-in, all you need to do is just vary the engine load. Don't drone at one RPM for longer than 10 minuets. You don't need to baby the engine- these things can take abuse. I think too many people baby their engines during break-in and end up glazing the cylinders which looses compression, or they never break-in their engine right and and end up back at the dealership with serious problems by 1500 miles. Just basically take it easy on the throttle- no full-throttle attacks, and don't redline and you'll be fine. That's it. Break-in isn't such a white-knuckled, stomach turning tense-fest that most crack it up to be.

Dave

·
Registered
69 Posts
What do you think about healthy accelerations that are not full throttle, but still obeying the "less than 5000 rpm" rule for the first 500 miles?

·
Registered
408 Posts
maq said:
What do you think about healthy accelerations that are not full throttle, but still obeying the "less than 5000 rpm" rule for the first 500 miles?
This is just me but I've never obeyed the RPM break-in rule from any manufactuer. On a SV650 you're not even in the powerband under 5000 RPM. If you don't feel comfortable bringing it up to 10k than at least get her up to around 9k. The first couple hundred miles are so critical for getting rings set in properly. Once you pass that, if you glazed things up all you could do to undo it is have the cylinders pulled and rehoned. Full throttle will NOT hurt a new motor as long as you do one thing. Make sure you warm it up completely first.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Yep, that is one thing I forgot to mention is that I always allow my bikes to warm up properly before doing any hard acceleration or reving of the motor like I see so many people do...crank it up and then WAAAAAA thinking they are cleaning it out and warming it up properly..wrong.

Saw a buddy who is very knowledgable when it comes to bikes and he stated the same thing, he breaks all his bikes in like he is going to ride them. Of course use common sense and don't try to blow it up and it should be ok. I have 450 miles on mine and I have gone as high as 10k also. I stayed below 5k the first 30+ miles then hit 6-7k a few times.

Soooo...open it on up a little and enjoy the bike! ;D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.