Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

First off, I cant seem to get enough of this site. Since the first thought came along about picking up an SV, I have been glued to my comp, reading everything I can. 

I bought an EX 500 (my first bike) about three months ago and rode the crap out of it. Got fairly comfortable with it and started looking around for something with a little more zip. Stumbled upon an 02 SV650S, did some reseach (mainly on this site) and eventually traded my EX in for it. I couldn't get the grin off of my face on the ride home!  Left my house to show some friends my new baby and when I went to make a slow right hand, 90 degree turn...somehow the bike just went totally out from under me. Bike went sliding, I went rolling and luckily there were no cars around for me to run into. Had full gear on except for the jeans I was wearing, so needless to say I have a nasty road rash on my knee.  It feels GREAT.   Oh well, lesson learned.

I don't feel like I was going too fast by any means, nor do I feel like I over-accelerated through the turn...but before I knew it...I was down. After fixing the brake and turn signals, I rode for a little and the bike just seems very 'loose' when turning. Way more so than my EX.  I've read a lot on suspension mods and am contemplating it for the future. Meanwhile...just gonna have to take extra care and take some more time getting used to the new bike. 

Anyway...I felt obligated to share one of my first accident experiences on here since Ive been doing nothing but reading everybody's input these last few weeks. I don't expect any responses but if anybody has any suggestions on the handling, they would be greatly appreciated.  Glad to be a part of the SV community.....

·
Registered
284 Posts
Congrats on the SV and sorry to hear about your spill.
The suspension isn't the best but it won't spit you on your ass.

My advice:
-Check tire pressure.
-Make sure no one tried to Armour-all the tires.
-Make sure you arent leaking oil or other fluids on the tires.

-josh

·
Registered
551 Posts
at least it wasnt another "red sv crashes into tree video"....can someone please post that just to humor me! hahaha

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gracias on the reply.... How would I know if someone armour-all'd the tires. Would they just be extra shiny?

·
Registered
551 Posts
MyotteFBS said:
Gracias on the reply.... How would I know if someone armour-all'd the tires. Would they just be extra shiny?
yup...all over the sidewalls! like the tires on cars in a dealership showroom

·
Registered
284 Posts
The other cause of spill is just a guess but... did you downshift just prior to turning? The SV's engine braking is much more abrupt than most bikes and can easily cause the rear to lock up especially when turning if you arent careful.

-josh

·
Registered
283 Posts
gravel in the corner?

fluids that may have contributed such as oil or coolant or other car gunk?

Weather conditions?

Granted, it might be overkill, but take at least take it into consideration while you're trying to figure out what happened.

There's no reason for a bike to just spit you out around a slow, 90-degree turn except for an external factor.

Glad you're okay.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Do new bikes suffer from New Tire Syndrome?  Anytime you get new tires they need to be warmed up or worn in (there seems to be some debate about which one) to remove the oils that protect the tires' rubber during shipping and storage.  I'd imagine that new bikes need it, too, unless they address it at the factory.

Sorry to hear about the accident.  Getting used to a new bike is tough, especially with just a couple months of experience.  Hopefully its your last get off!

·
Registered
1,973 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think it was a mix of being on the rear brake and closing the throttle. I definately notice a huge difference in the engine braking. And there's always the possibility of a few loose stones. I dont believe that the tires have been armor all'd and Im defanately not as much of a noob as the guy in the vid....hilarious! Thanks for all the help...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts