Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how do i tighten the chain? whats the amount of play i want when it is tightened? thanks...
My stepdad said my chain looked loose and i would say so as well... any info would be great! thanks

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
spuds said:
how do i tighten the chain? whats the amount of play i want when it is tightened? thanks...
My stepdad said my chain looked loose and i would say so as well... any info would be great! thanks
There are nuts and bolts at the back of the swingarm, you tighten these to adjust for chain slack. when you do, make sure that you do so equally for each side. THere are little lines and notches on the swingarm where the axle is. Make sure they are exactly the same or the tire wont track right. As for how loose is loose I go by the 1" rule. there should be no more that 1" play from the highest point you can raise the chain, to the lowest point you can pust the chain down. This is tested under the swingarm where your chain hangs. you dont want it to tight either or you will wear out your chain and sprokets really quickly.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
The amount of play you should allow in your chain depends on how you are adjusting the chain - whether you have the bike on the sidestand or not. Erring on the loose side is safer than setting the chain too tight. The reason you need to have slack in the chain is because the distance from the countershaft sprocket to the rear sprocket changes with suspension travel. When the countershaft sprocket, swingarm pivot, and rear sprocket are aligned, the chain will span the longest distance.

On the rear stand, I usually set my chain so there is 1 inch of slack. With the bike on the sidestand, you may want to allow slightly more slack.

You may want to try consulting your factory manual. Also, if I were you, I'd download the service manual as well. Many questions just like this one are explained in detail in the manuals.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
You want it even looser in a race setting, which most of us are not doing.
In fact, the instructors go around checking to make sure it's loose enough before you go out (ie looser even than for hard street riding)

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
i think that 1" is too tight, if it's too tight you can shear the front bearing, i have about 1 1/2"-2" of slack on mine (on the side stand), looser is better

loosen the axle and use the adjusters in the back or the swingarm, measure from the swingarm pivot point to the axle on both sides, the measurement on both sides should be equal, when you tighten the axle nut it is gonna want to pull one side over, so measure a few times

1 - 5 of 5 Posts