Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I just signed up tonight to try and learn whatever I can about the SV650SF w/ ABS. I'm planning on buying one once I return home (Virginia Beach, VA) from deployment. It will be my first bike, so I need to sort out my MSF course/licensing deal..but plan on trying to get my hands on a used 07 or 08 model. So far I'm having a lot of trouble finding used ones in my area, but I think it might be easier once I'm off this ship!

Other random facts about me, I used to have a bunch of spiders, snakes, scorpions and centipedes before I joined the Navy, play electric guitar (mostly metal), and love cooking spicy food. I'm a relatively recently commissioned Ensign in the Navy and have been on deployment for the last 5 months on a DDG (guided missile destroyer).

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Welcome aboard, sir !!
There are a bunch of SV riders here.http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=88014
Hope that link works. If not, the thread is Hampton Roads area riders.

I had a tarantula for about 10 years. Her name was Rosie. RIP

I'm sure you'll find the bike you're looking for. I bought mine on eBay from Florida. You can easily arrange to have a bike shipped from anywhere in the US for a little over $500.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi & welcome!

My son is headed for Anapolis in June (Naval Academy). We're planning a bike trip together before he heads out. He has a blue SV650S that I've just about put back together since the layover.

Thanks for your service!

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Come here often Sailor?

Sorry I had to, that was too easy. I'm a zoomie, don't mind me.

Welcome to the site!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the welcomes! I still haven't had any luck finding a used 07 or more recent SV650 w/ ABS but I haven't given up yet. After reading the FAQ thread about the SV being a good or bad beginners bike, I'm wondering if I should continue to explore my options. The idea of buying a 250 sounds safe and a great way to learn, my only problem is that I really don't like the idea of buying it when I know I'll just be turning around to sell it in a relatively short period of time.

Thanks for the link Terry. It will be some time before I'm out riding with any of you, but sounds like a blast. The Navy has been getting up in arms on motorcycle safety recently (not a bad thing) and my ship is actually putting together a group ride.

Heh wasn't expecting to see too many spider or snake lovers here but I guess we're everywhere. I had ~40 tarantulas, a bunch of jumping spiders (one female had a lot of babies), various scorps and centipedes, and 3 snakes..2 corn snakes and 1 king snake. Actually going to pick up one of the corns that I didn't sell when I went off to OCS. My friend took it for me for a bit.

Sorry to hear about the snakes 918SV; if they were ball pythons, I hear they are very picky eaters some of the time.

Tumbleweed - Good luck to your son up there in MD. Shouldn't be too bad. The majority of the officers on my ship are from the Academy. I'm one of the few OCS guys on board..nothing like spending 3 months with Marine DIs!

DieTrying - My best friend is a zoomie too, works on the AWACS as a "scope dope".

·
Registered
281 Posts
Welcome! Think of it this way, Marine DIs made you what you are today. Man up and get the SV (from a female Marine) LOL. Really, hope you find what you are looking for. Good luck and be safe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts