Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I think I've really lost my keys. If I can't find em, I'll have to get keys made. Working keys.

So here's what's happened so far:

Lost my keys, can't find spare
Went to dealer and had keys cut from tag that came with bike, no dice
Went to another dealer that said pretty much those tags are a 50/50 chance
Called a locksmith and they said they'd need the ignition to find the code so they can cut a key

Is that really what my option is? To take apart the bike enough so that I can get my hands on the ignition? Is there even such a code on the ignition?

So now, let's talk hypothetically:

What if the ignition code were in such a place that I could use a snake cam to see it without taking her apart? Possible?

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Good luck with the code. I'm pretty sure it's nowhere. When this happened to me, a locksmith had to come out and pick my gas cap, remove it, and use that. From there, he had to guess at possible combinations to add on (the gas cap has 4 of the 7 notches or something like that) for the ignition. After removing the ignition (had to replace it due to attempted theft), I would say your easiest / cheapest option would be to remove the ignition and take it in. It really isn't a hard job. Undo the upper triple, flip it over, and unscrew the ignition. Lift the tank and unplug the connector.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
3 options:
1) time travel. This solution is predicated on the bike key not being on the same key chain as the DeLoren's.
2) try a less lazy dealer. The keytag code should work fine.
3) remove ignition and have a locksmith make a new key. this does not involve the keycode.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm

I see... thanks guys. I'll see if anyone at work has some tools and stands that I can borrow.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Hmmm

I see... thanks guys. I'll see if anyone at work has some tools and stands that I can borrow.
I don't think you need to put it on a stand to take off the top triple- the bottom will hold the forks fine.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
You don't need stands. What you will need is a special torx bit called a safety torx to remove the ignition. You can find them in your local auto parts store; I bought a set of bits for about $10 that had a few safety torx and a bunch of other various bits. It's a torx bit but with a notch cut out of the middle.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have a first gen and lost my key. Took my gas cap off and they made me a key for it using the info from the cap and supplemental info from a database. It cost $45. This is a simple way to sort it out. I found my key a week later.

·
Registered
244 Posts
safety torx is prolly your most important tool for that process. harbor freight will have them cheap also, that's where i got mine from.

and yes, there should be a code on the ignition itself for any locksmith to make a good working key from.

good luck!

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Ummm- I just took the locksmith my gas tank cap... they knew the key had to have a long shoulder on it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts