Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems that lately there are lots of SV1000's popping up with loose magnets on the Magneto.

I've been very fortunate, while doing a valve check I couldn't get the generator plug cover off(stripped it actually). So I improvised, removed the entire Magneto cover and saw just one magnet had slightly moved forward a bit. I initially thought to myself, "Hey not bad! Just one moved a little." Nope, I was able to remove three of the six by hand. The other three were still extremely firm on the flywheel and wouldn't budge when I pried at them. I got some sand paper and cleaned it up a good bit. Got some fancy Epoxy by the name of JB Weld, and so far have two of the three buggers re-installed. I am considering this a temporary fix until I get a nice K5 flywheel. I have heard this can happen with K5's as well and a very good contact of mine has informed me to use the Epoxy to make barriers between the magnets. I am going to definitely shoot for this with my current Magneto to provide some additional peace of mind.

I just wanted to share that I, like a lot of others lately, am also plagued with the symptom. I wish we could determine the root cause of this problem. I have no doubt in my mind my bike was ragged on by her previous owner. She's probably very happy to be in my hands getting the attention she deserves.

I put a pic of my current progress, I'll try to update with more as I go along on my band aid solution. Yes, I do realize there is still oEM epoxy on the flywheel. I ran out of sand paper last night and wanted to be proactive so I mounted two of the three magnets and am sanding down the rest of the flywheel surface tonight before installing the third magnet :icon_biggrin:

Magnets when first removed, notice I was extremely lucky and epoxy is still stuck to them and not rummaging loose in my motor oil :)

Two of the three magnets with factory epoxy removed/cleaned up

Magneto with the three removed, prior to cleaning

Magneto with two magnets reinstalled as of this morning.

Again, this is my temporary fix until I get a K5 Magneto. Just wanted to share with all of you.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
+1 Have the same question

I also have a 2003, would hate to have this happen to me while I'm on the road on a long trip.

Glad to see you tackled it quickly.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Honestly I never felt any warnings of this coming on, I'll report back if I notice any changes once I have her reassembled and running again. I could have bought the bike with them already loose(really wish I would have checked sooner). In the past, I have read up about people who don't address this and the magnets collide into each other and shatter or hit the Stator and damage it.

It's really simple to check this, I definitely encourage anyone with a K3(or even newer) to check. It's especially easy with a swingarm or spool stand as this will balance the oil better and you will only have a few small drops come out when you pull the cover off.

Domiken, just a heads up if you are still taking your 1000 to the track, the K5 magnetos are a approximately 2 lbs lighter than the K3's :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have been through one rotor on my 05 already. You're lucky catching it when they were just loose two of my magnets were shattered.

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
Hey Mike! Do you think that potting the spaces between the magnets with the JB Weld would be beneficial? I was thinking that it would make all of them act as a unit rather than 6 individuals as it seems that one malcontent always breaks loose first, then starts working on its' neighbors and pretty soon everyone is crap. I can't think of any real negative to potting the whole shebang.....can you? Thanks!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Hey Mike! Do you think that potting the spaces between the magnets with the JB Weld would be beneficial? I was thinking that it would make all of them act as a unit rather than 6 individuals as it seems that one malcontent always breaks loose first, then starts working on its' neighbors and pretty soon everyone is crap. I can't think of any real negative to potting the whole shebang.....can you? Thanks!
I am not sure. I think the advantages would be as you have stated, but disadvantages might be balance and the risk of the epoxy breaking out and causing other significant issues.

Some people have seemed to jump on the 03-04 and synthetic oil band wagon. Lots of other things also need to be considered such as torque of the bolt that holds it on and total balance of the units. The last one I replaced for someone I was tempted to send out the new one and have it checked for balance along with a couple of other good 03-04 rotors I have that came from other motors I know some of the history on.

I service several other SV1000s in my area and I am concerned about one recently. He rode one of mine and said his seems to vibrate more and buzz his hands a bit and mine did not after a 100 mile ride... I might have another one with magnet issues...

I am going to check my commuter again soon too. My 04 had a rotor fail at 38K miles and it is now about 70K miles so next oil change I figure I am going to check to make sure.

-MS

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mr. Schmidt, would you mind elaborating more on the subject of the synthetic oil? I would really appreciate reading on your thoughts. I don't know what the previous owner ran in my bike. I am using synthetic however, Respol 4T to be specific.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
335 Posts
Mr. Schmidt, would you mind elaborating more on the subject of the synthetic oil? I would really appreciate reading on your thoughts. I don't know what the previous owner ran in my bike. I am using synthetic however, Respol 4T to be specific.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Some people have drawn a conclusion that this issue might be aggravated/caused by synthetic oil. I personally do not want to make any conclusions about this. I have observed failures on engines where the full history has been known some with synthetic and some not. I typically do not make any conclusion unless there is lots of data. My regular 9-5 job over the past 15 plus years has involved failure analysis and root cause analysis of integrated circuits, creating and executing Design of Experiments data collection and making some pretty high dollar engineering decisions based on the results. These things require lots of data and sound science, if I don't do this, I lose my job...

Head on over the SV1000 portal and search "magnets" I am sure several failures will come up, including a one I started when my high mile bike experienced a failure.

-MS

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mr. Schmidt,

thank you for your input. I tried researching what Suzuki recommended from the factory for the 1000(Suzuki Performance 4 motor oil). I cannot find any data if this oil is a synthetic or mineral type. I have found multiple variations of the Suzuki Performance 4 and only one stating specifically on the label that it is a Synthetic. This was also only a brief 5 minute google search.

I did clean up and install my 3rd and last magnet last night. I did not get time to add a pic, it was a very busy evening and I had to prioritize my time wisely. I will put one up tonight before checking all 3 again and reassembly.

·
Registered
78 Posts
As far as oil as a failure agent I don't believe it. I'm using Rotella Dino oil and it was in the bike when the magnets came loose. I attribute the failures to really shoddy work from Suzuki. When I replaced my last rotor/flywheel I noticed that the epoxy bonding the magnets to the shell. Two small lines of epoxy about 3 mm wide centered around the inner circumference of the shell. What is amazing is that the TL has the magnets covered by a thin shell like Yamaha and Kawasaki do. I consider my SV so untrustworthy that I won't take it out of town or my local area, I was a hundred miles from home when my charging system failed (magnets) and I had to buy a new battery just to make it home. I think Suzuki should make it right by us but fat chance of that happening so for my upcoming 1200 mile vacation/bucket list ride with 9 of my buddies I bought a Yamaha FZ1 to go sport touring.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Anyone know if the rotor off a v strom 1k will fit? I understand they're the same motors but I don't think i've ever heard of this problem with the stroms.

·
Registered
335 Posts
hm... Wonder if there is a way to make it work. Change of ecu? Not to familiar with with these ignition systems.
Could it be done? Sure It could, but is it worth it with new ECU, wore harness, different injection map, different timing map and another flywheel? THere are plenty of reported cases of the DL shedding the magnets also.

I ran out to the garage real quick and pulled out a DL rotor and an SV rotor. DL unit is on the left.

-MS

·
Registered
391 Posts
Hmmmm i have a k5 but im going to check this out anyways next oil change.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just wanted to update everyone. I have had my bike buttoned up for a few days now. Took it easy around the back roads of my neighborhood and all felt good. I took her on the highway this morning and have to say that there is a noticeable difference across the RPM range. It's not a completely different bike, however, it is noticeably smoother in the rev's. I really wish I had taken the time to open my bike up last year when I bought her and addressed some of the issues I was reading about. Especially since my bike was plagued with a few of them(Green connector, Magneto, crappy intake mods from PO, chain and sprockets, tune up, lack of pair delete on 2-1 exhaust, etc, etc). None the less, my bike feels...much better. I am definitely going to order the K5 Magneto first chance I get and take it easy on the current one. I know I have some clutch vibration but truth be told, after riding in to work this morning I didn't even notice the clutch basket vibration. Upon my next oil change I plan to open the clutch cover up for a visual inspection. I was hoping to put off any clutch repairs just a little longer, but we'll see what happens next. Ideally I would love to have addressed major issues like this with a motor rebuild. I'm not ready for it yet, so I'll be fixing all the little things I can along the way.

Too all SV1000 owners, I strongly recommend opening the generator cover and just inspecting your magnets. After going to the portal per Mr. Schmidts recommendation, I was pretty amazed how many people have this problem. It's worth opening the generator cover just to have peace of mind for your 1000.

Good luck everyone! Hope you don't have loose or destroyed magnets. If you do, just know there is hope still.

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
Man...I wish you would have been watching the voltage output all along just to answer the question: Do some loose magnets hurt the charging?

After reading about this issue before I took delivery of my bike...I had found a neat little volt-meter to install so the charging system could be easily monitored http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/14/71/984/8115/ITEM/Kuryakyn-LED-Battery-Gauge.aspx . It would be great if the magnets moving around would show something on a volt-meter and I suspect it might hurt the idle charging enough that you'd notice that something is wrong. But this is still just conjecture and will need to be verified down the road when my magnets come loose.:) Hopefully....I'll never get to answer that question!!

You have installed the Eastern Beaver headlight relays...right OB? If so....did you include a switch to shut them off? Being able to reduce the battery load might cut down the distance you need to push in the event of a future magneto failure. At least that is the plan. Man...you've made quite the improvement in your bike! Well done.:)

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks RR, I actually still have not ordered the EB headlight relay kit. I wanted to wait to see what would come of the Magneto repair before pulling the trigger on the headlight harness.

While moving I found one of my boxes full of electronics and connectors and fun little gadgets. Including a few on/off toggle switches. I need to confirm if any of them are weather proof. If not, I'll order one with the EB relay harness.

I'll be opening the Generator cover up one more time in about 100 miles to confirm all is holding in place. If it looks good, I'll get the harness next, then the K5 magneto. Kiddo's got football camps this month putting a bit of dampner on my bike funds :( Otherwise I'd already have a K5 magneto, eb harness and a nitrous injection system installed by now!

J/K on the nitrous, I know better.

1 - 20 of 172 Posts