Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

Another GSXR Front End

16K views 41 replies 14 participants last post by  sj2000 
#1 · (Edited)
'07 GSXR 600 front clip on '03 SVS using Hayabusa Wheel/Rotors & GSXR Speed Sensor

Well, that's the executive summary above!

I had multiple reasons for selecting the Hayabusa wheel -
1) It's silver, so matches the rear;
2) Has 320mm rotor so BIG brakes;
3) Have used this combo (Hayabusa wheel/GSXR front end) on my TL so already had the spacer dimension down.

A couple of things are required to integrate the Hayabusa wheel:
1) 320mm rotor requires 5mm caliper spacers
2) Rotor spacing on center is 134mm vs GSXR 132mm
- requires 1mm machined off inside face of each rotor to bring back to 132mm centers
3) Wheel center/spacing;
- Hayabusa is 214mm fork spacing (on center); GSXR is 207mm.
- requires (214-207)/2 off the right GSXR axle spacer. (12.25 - 3.5 = 8.75mm net)

Here are the rotor mods & caliper spacers:

First image is actually off my TL but spacing is same - that dimension - 137mm - is after the rotors have been machined - is the dimension across outside faces of rotors so minus thickness of one rotor (5mm) leaves 132 center - center.

Machined Rotor (above & below)

These are my own custom caliper spacers which I designed for my first GSXR transplant onto my Triumph over 2 years ago - I have these CNC'd. (My Daytona, TL and now the SV all sport GSXR front ends with 320mm rotors)

After machining the spacer to correct dimension, that takes care of the wheel/rotor/caliper alignment. Last piece of the brake install is to mount the Radial Master & re-orient the reservoir bracket to match the radial inlet tube. I have temporary brake lines on there for testing - the radial master's brake-line connection is 90 deg off vs 'conventional' master & lines require to be a couple of inches longer, because the banjo connection is lower on the radial caliper. Temporary configuration worked fine for now.

Next up is the speedo drive:

I happened to have in hand a GSXR final output drive speedo sensor off an 01 GSXR 600.
Now that sender actually reads off the edge, not the face like the ones that are typically being used.
(I had a well-intended suggestion from a member on another site that I had it mounted incorrectly and should have the front face towards the magnets - but I can assure it is in fact correct in the orientation shown.)
I realized that in this appication the edge of the 'base' actually would be closer to the rotor, compromising ability to align with the magnets. So I took my dremel and ground away the edge that would be adjacent to the rotors. Even after you break throught the casing proper, there is an epoxy filling inside the sender - so I just continued to grind further, just keeping a watchful eye for anything that wasn't just epoxy! No worries though, was able to remove all I needed without interfering with anything internal. Literally 2 mins work with the dremel to re-profile it.
Of course the cable is really short, but the plug is correct to fit the SV harness; simply cut the plug off the cable, spliced in a 3 wire extender and heat-shrunk everything together again.
Made a simple bracket off 3/4" x 3/4" aluminum angle. The screws were cut really short so I can use the fender mounts on the inside. (the fender screws are cut shorter to match) This allows the bracket to be easily mounted & not interfere with the fender. The nice thing is it's all hidden behind the fender (you can see I wasn't too concerend about getting a quality paint job on the bracket!). Of course used the GSXR fender so that is a straight bolt-on.
Actually prefer the black fender than the OEM body color item.
Last up, glued 4 trigger magnets on the rotor using 60 sec epoxy. These were simple ceramic magnets and actually do the job just fine, but I'll probably replace with some rare-earth once I source them.

(note that in a couple of the pics below it shows the spring washers between the bracket & the fender mounts - I thought it needed to be closer to the rotor but subsequently removed the washers from between & relocated convenytionally under the screw head on top of the bracket.

The result is it works great! Was not able to do a specific cal test but it is certainly 'in the ball park'. Definitely at 4 counts per wheel rev in the same range as OEM - but as reported elsewhere with somewhat of a correction because of the slightly larger tire.

The Triple Tree/fork install is pretty straight forward on the '03+ - bearings are the same & the steering stops on the 06/07 lower triple co-ordinate with the fixed frame stops. Different story if it was a Gen1 of course, that has a single fixed stop at front of the frame so something would have to devised there - but fortunately not for me to worry about.

Last piece of the retrofit is of course the top clamp. I received the left-sided-ignition top clamp with the '07 series forks. To mount the ignition simply required the mounting holes in the ignition assembly to be elongated to allow it move further out radially from the stem, as well as closer together to centralize the holes which are 2mm closer than the GSXR mount posts (48mm vs 50mm). 2 min operation with a rat-tail file. I also wanted the std bar risers on there even though this is an 'S' model - I had already converted to bars using an 'N' top clamp before the GSXR conversion.
In order to align the holes for the riser clamps to be spaced perfectly symmetrically I first made a pattern with the main fork clamps, steering stem & riser holes all laid out correct dimensionally in CAD program (2D only required) then printed on transparency.
This was then aligned & taped over the clamp and the centers marked through the transparency onto the yokes top surface. Then drilled out to 10mm for the OEM bar risers from the 'N' model.
Finished up with the same Rizoma bars that had previously been mounted - I hadn't replaced the throttle cables so these were a little tricky to get a sweet spot where they would operate yet not interfere with the brake. You can see the best location in one of the attached pics, over the top of the master.
Clutch cable was already replaced with an 'N' model previously. The ignition cable now runs through aperture on the left side of the steering head.

Once the top clamp was installed I discovered an issue that makes the 06/07 600/750 item not a good solution - when bars turn to the left, the ignition will actually hit the frame & effectively become the 'stop', before the proper stop hits! So that will be replaced with an alternative clamp - more on that later.

Here's the (almost) final result - at least a running entity.

Still to do:
Replace the brake lines with Galfer twin braided lines, designed for Radial Master orientation & 2" longer than Std. 'N' lines.
Install OEM fender hardware in place of the temporary generic metric screws.
Source & install rare-earth magnets in place of the ceramics
Replace the top clamp to overcome the left side ignition interference.

See less See more
#6 ·
D: Do those spacers need to have that extra littler insert like that?? I make(made) spacers for the radial swaps too, but have only ever made ~10 mm ID, ~22mm OD, and 5 or 10 mm thickness. I did have one person approach me to make them like you did....but of the 50 or so sets I have made...there was only that one person.

Did you do them on a manual lathe or a CNC?

#8 ·
.... Similar to what I've done to my ride,
but I used the Bandit 1200 wheel and have 310mm rotors....
That's a great looking bike nille - I'm sure it was more practical swap without the rotor machining also!
Hayabusa wheels are probably more plentiful - although even those are hard to find in silver.
TLR wheels are same as the 'busa and were also available in silver.

#10 ·
..Will the OE speed sensor from my SVS work on this setup?
No - the SVS sender is for the SV axle and won't fit the 25mm GSXR axle - nor does the GSXR wheel have the detent to drive the rotating magnet.
You need to do something similar to above - there are quite a few threads with other alternative methods.
This is one of the popular methods as detailed here

#11 ·
I just bought 05/06 GSXR 1000* Top Clamp to replace the 06/07 600/750* that is mounted in the pics above.
That should resolve the interference issue of the ignition contacting the frame before the actual steering stop does. I suspect the lock will also work with wheel straight ahead without having to drill another hole in the head.
More pics when that swap is completed.

*These are the only OEM 30mm offset clamps that will fit the 06/07 600/750 triple tree - I believe the 05/06 1000 to be the better choice.

#13 ·
The wheel itself is no problem - not sure about the rotors.
Yes the SV is a 310 rotor - I know the hub center is same at 69mm but not sure if PCD is the same as the GSXR wheel - although you would expect so.

You could always fit the GSXR rotors that match that wheel and use the 04/05 calipers which will bolt right on your later gen forks, if the SV rotors don't match up.

#15 · (Edited)
....Where do you get all of your info and what do you do for a living?...
I'm in totally unrelated world work-wise - I work in the Silicon Chip business ;D
I do have engineering background though, although major is in electronics/electrical - but the basic disciplines are still there.

A lot of the info regarding the fork swaps, especially dimensional was gathered through painstaking measurement on my first swap of K5/6 1K forks onto my Triumph - I taught myself how to use CAD and designed all the parts - top clamp; steering stop; axle, rotor & caliper spacers.
Then I use as many internet resources as I can to see what info is already out there - for example I'll use the EBC or Braking catalogues, which have useful dimensional data on the rotors. The on-line parts fiche & reverse part finder on the RonAyers site is a really useful resource - especially the reverse look-up when you're looking for used parts on E-Bay - you can tell if the part from another model will work. Sometimes that can fool you - things like wheels might be the same with only a colour change so different number; or rotors on TLS, TLR & 'Busa are different OEM part numbers but same fitment (that's where multiple resurces like the brake catalogues help to supplemement things)
You can use the fiche to determine things like steering head or axle bearing sizes, so you can figure out what will swap between different configurations.
Especially within the suzuki range, you can usually find a part of another bike that will go together easily as available bolt-on. Sometimes, it just doesn't work out so lucky - like the Gen 1 guys who need a custom top bearing.
One great asset re the forks swap is a collaborative effor we put together over on the TLZone site with a table of all the various front end configurations (the table is in the fork swap sticky thread on this forum) - it was put together for the TL's in mind, but the data is still all pertinent.

Anyway, appreciate the kind thoughts and hope some of the tips above help in tracking down some information when you need it.
But happy to help at any time if I can.

#17 ·
As I mentioned, wasn't too happy with the 06/07 Top clamp - the ignition atually interferes with the top of the frame on full left before the steering stop on the bottom clamp contacts the fixed stop.
i.e. The ignition becomes the left steering stop!!!! :eek:

So I sourced an 05/06 1000 top clamp - that has same offset, fork & steering stem dimensions, but has a 'straight-ahead' ignition location.

Much happier with this result - not only more functional - the steering stops & steering lock now work (the steering lock is at center however) - but looks sharper to my eye at least

Anyone need a nice 06/07 Top clamp already prepped for risers? ;D

Here's the 05/06 clamp installed:

#20 ·
Somewhat related question, but has anyone found out why the ring around the barrel of the ignition switch in the above triples have that strange double radius? It seems funny enough to me to have a single ring in any case (as with the stock triples) but why the double .. I know its not the case, but it looks like someone made a machining mistake and couldn't be bothered fixing it.

... Gregg

#22 ·
Whoa! I see you have been holding out on us. Tell us more about your eight-gear mod. That is EXACTLY what I need. That way I can gear it down for hooligan antics and still get decent mileage.

Genius!

;D

Gregg, I cannot figure out that double radius thing. Maybe it is for looks? Weight savings? Do the gsxr's have weird ignitions or something?

#23 ·
Just think: we could install two of those special modules, and have 99 gears to choose from ... without getting hands dirty ;-)

Bossman, the Gixxer ignition switch has the same round barrel as the SV, so that's not the reason for the double radius ring around it. No one else has come up with a better explanation, so let's go with your "weight savings" idea !

.. Gregg

#26 · (Edited)
Too funny on the 8 gear thing guys - you don't see that normally, but the camera exposes all the elements of the display.
It wasn't even turned on in the pic (see, no ignition key)

On the ignition - the GSXR ignition switch does indeed have another part that protrudes off the front side even if the top itself is round.

#30 ·
... I plan on setting up a similar speed sensor on my GSX-R front...
Thanks!
Note the part about grinding away part of the base which allows the flatted detector edge to be close to the magnets without that base part interfering.
Now after replacing the ceramics with the rare-earth however (whose field strength is HUGE compared to the ceramics) I'm convinced the sendor could be mounted without shaving the casing - although it may still require a little depending on your mounting position. The rare-earth jobs are much more compact though so less likely to interfere.
As I stressed earlier, most important is that it MUST be mounted with the flat facing the magnets.
I should really post up some new pics with the rare-earth magnets installed.
That mount is also competely unobtrusive behind the fender and also easy to mount on the fender stanchions without 'fiddling'. Fender can be removed of course without having to mess with the sender bracket & vice-versa.

#33 ·
Great write up - thanks for sharing! Do you know if any GSXR final drive output speedo sensor will work?
Sure, they're all the same - also Hayabusa, TL, SV1K etc

For the second part of your question, not sure what instruments will just swap out - to begin with the speedo calibration will be all wrong (difference between final drive & front wheel), although that can be fixed with a scaling device like a SpeedHealer.

It can be done, as I have on my TL, but there is no simple swap - it may be more effort that worth.

I haven't looked into what would be involved in adapting a GSXR gauge to an SV - a lot depends on the communication protocol used by the ECM.

#37 ·
i really like the center key hole. just wondering if the k5/k6 1000 top triple fit on k5 750 forks? i expect it does, but would like confirmation if you have such info. tried lookin it up on the fiche, but with no luck. thanks

#38 ·
... just wondering if the k5/k6 1000 top triple fit on k5 750 forks? ...
No - Stem diameter at the top clamp is different
You would have to use K5/6 1000 bottom clamp also, if you want to use the 05 750 forks - those would have the correct bottom clamp fork dia - 54mm - and correct stem diameter.
The later 06+ 600/750 triples have matching stem of course, but their bottom clamp is for 53mm tubes - so have to use their own forks
i.e. won't take the 04/05 forks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.