Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon everyone,

I just started having a starting issue with my bike today. I've done a fair amount of searching and testing already to try to determine the issue. I'm just looking for some feedback in case there's something easy I've missed.

The bike has started fine in the past, I last rode in about 5 days ago without issue. I woke up this morning to take it to get inspected and it wouldn't turn over. I fiddled with the connections on the clutch safety switch to make sure that something wasn't off there, and verified that the engine cutoff switch was in the correct position. Still nothing. Lights were powered but the bike wouldn't even crank when I hit the starter button.

I checked the battery connections and the tested the battery with a multimeter - things checked out ok there. Next I disconnected and bypassed the clutch switch with a paperclip to see if it had gone bad. Still not cranking. I did not bypass the kickstand switch, but did try to start the bike in 'N' with the stand in the up & down position in hopes of eliminating that as a possibility.

I checked the fuses and everything looked ok there. At this point I think I've narrowed it down to the starter switch or the engine cutoff switch, but I'm not sure how to test those 2 items.

Any suggestions on how to check those, or any ideas about what I might have missed? Thank you!

·
Registered
683 Posts
I see some time has passed since your post. Here are some quick ideas:

1. Make sure your kickstand switch is clear of debri.
2. Tighten your clutch lever a tiny tad...it may be out of spec and being fickle.

You mentioned all the other obvious easy fixes.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I checked some more, clutch lever is okay and the kickstand switch is as well.

I was able to get the bike started by putting a screwdriver across the solenoid terminals - does that mean the starter switch has malfunctioned/gone bad?

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Jumping the relay bypasses all the other switches including the clutch switch, sidestand, start button and kill switch. A malfunctioning sidestand switch would allow the motor to crank but not start by interrupting the power to the coils. Since you bypassed the clutch switch with no results, your problem I would guess could either be the starter relay(solenoid), start button or kill switch. You would need to open the right switch gear to meter for voltage at the kill switch and the start button with the ignition switch in the on position. If you see power coming out of the kill switch in the off position and also coming out from the start button to the relay, I would then check the power at the top of the relay connector from the start button. You need to trace where the power is and isn't.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the help so far. I opened up the switch area on the handlebar to see where power was getting to. The engine cuttoff switch does have power, but the start button does not. I was testing with the ignition in the on position and the start button pressed in.

Do I need to be holding in the clutch to test it like I would for a normal start? Or is this just if there's any power getting there or not?

I also checked the power at the top of the starter relay and it was about 12.4v, for good measure I checked and the battery was at 12.8

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
If I have this correct, the clutch switch interrupts power to the starter relay. The start button should be sending power to the clutch switch. Therefore, I don't think the clutch switch has to be closed to see power at the output side of the start button. With the ignition on and the kill switch off or closed for normal starting, you should see power at the incoming side of the start button and then power on the other side when you depress the button.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, so no power there leads me to believe it may be the start button. I'm going to re-test it tomorrow just because it was a pretty tight squeeze to get the multimeter in there. I'm almost positive that I had a good connection, but I just want to verify before I look at what's next.

I'll have to look for a wiring diagram to trace it all and see where the power drops off, maybe something just unplugged somewhere...hopefully.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Found the correct wiring diagram, but still no luck in tracing the problem. Electrical work always seems to bug me the most! Go figure that once I finally get my bike in great running condition something like this will happen.

After looking at the wiring diagram I've noticed that everything eventually runs back to the starter relay, is there an easy way to test if that's the issue? I haven't been able to find any power going all the way back to it so far.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
You could jump the start button with a short length of wire and see if there is a change. You could also disconnect the plug at the starter relay and jump power from the battery and see if you can get the relay to energize. When everything is working okay, you should see power at the relay on the Y/G wire when the button is depressed. Are you sure there is no power at the start button on the O/W wire side and also on the Y/G when depressing the button? Jumping the low power side of the relay you want to jump power to the Y/G terminal.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm also having similar problems - @ILuvCurvy, are you getting anything when you press the starter button? Mine won't even make a noise under the seat or anything. Died just like yours did on the road...I'm thinking mine might be fuse - at least I hope so :) GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I'm also having similar problems - @ILuvCurvy, are you getting anything when you press the starter button? Mine won't even make a noise under the seat or anything. Died just like yours did on the road...I'm thinking mine might be fuse - at least I hope so :) GOOD LUCK
I know I'm not curvy but mine just wouldn't start one morning. I click the engine start/stop switch which makes the normal noise but the starter button does nothing. Checked all fuses, played with the clutch cable tension, replaced the battery... nothing.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I've been having similar issues. Randomly, my bike won't start. Lights come on, FI kicks in, but no start. I was stuck in the middle of nowhere and I pounded on the right handlebar thinking maybe it was a loose connection. It eventually started. I haven't had a chance to look at it, but I suspect a loose or dirty contact in the start button assembly.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You could jump the start button with a short length of wire and see if there is a change. You could also disconnect the plug at the starter relay and jump power from the battery and see if you can get the relay to energize. When everything is working okay, you should see power at the relay on the Y/G wire when the button is depressed. Are you sure there is no power at the start button on the O/W wire side and also on the Y/G when depressing the button? Jumping the low power side of the relay you want to jump power to the Y/G terminal.
I've got some time finally to pull stuff apart and look at it again. I'm a bit of an electrical noob and I wanted to see if I could get some clarification.

In regards to jumping the start button, I should be running a piece of wire from the inner connections to the connections on the button to trick the system to thinking the button is depressed - correct?

In terms of jumping the relay from the battery once the plug is disconnected, how would I accomplish this? Cables?

I'll start from there, I'm really confused with the remaining parts. I've yet to be able to get power on any of the connections from the starter button to the relay, but I have confirmed the relay does have power. I'm gonig to try to re-test the clutch safety switch as well just to cross that off again and make sure I didn't miss something easy.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok so I'm able to get 12v on O/W with the key turned on. I'm NOT able to get 12v on Y/G, with either the started button pressed in or not. I did bypass the clutch switch again and it didn't make a difference, so I can cross that off my list.

·
Super Moderator
9,148 Posts
Ok so I'm able to get 12v on O/W with the key turned on. I'm NOT able to get 12v on Y/G, with either the started button pressed in or not.
12v into the switch on O/W, but no voltage out on Y/G with the starter button pressed confirms the switch is bad. You might try pushing very hard on the button to be 100% sure. If a hard press makes the starter operate then you know for sure the button is the problem.

Did failure happen suddenly? Usually button contacts become intermittent before crapping out totally. Looks like you found the problem though.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah it just happened with no warning. I didn't ride for about 5 days and went to start it and had nothing.

So 0v to Y/G means the only thing that is bad is the starter switch?

Would I have to buy a whole new control unit set to fix it, or is there something easier?

Edit -- I did try the hard push on the starter button like you suggested and it was able to start - but you could tell the connection was really struggling.

·
Super Moderator
9,148 Posts
... So 0v to Y/G means the only thing that is bad is the starter switch?
If 0v is directly on the Y/G wire as it exits the switch with button pressed, then yes. If tested down at the starter relay, then it could also be a break in the Y/G wire somewhere between the switch and the relay.

The Y/G wire itself is almost never the problem, and the starter button switch is pretty reliable too, so I would verify before going further.

Do you still have the switch housing apart? If so, try simply bypass the starter button contacts with a little piece of wire, or a paper clip. If that makes the starter crank then you will know for sure. Don't forget to pull the clutch in. :)

If the contacts are the problem, cleaning and a bit of dielectric grease sometimes works. The entire switch assy is over $100, so certainly worth a try! Good luck.

Edit -- I did try the hard push on the starter button like you suggested and it was able to start - but you could tell the connection was really struggling.
Oops, I missed that. Since it works with a hard press, 100% it is the button. Yay, you got it!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks so much for the quick reply. In terms of bypassing the starter button contacts. Should I just connect the inner O/W to the Y/G with the clutch pulled in? Do I need to press the starter button in still?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts