Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to turn some aftermarket billet parts black through anodizing. Anyone tried this themselves? Its a handful of random parts (cfm rearsets, vortex clipons, shock bottle holder). Is there mail order place that does this for a reasonable cost? Anyone know of a place in or around Chicago?

Thank you

·
Registered
51 Posts
do it yourself, there is a ton of information all over the net. We learned about it in one of my college science classes and one of my friends does all his own paintball stuff.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I found a lot of good info on it here for doing it at home

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome. Thanks guys. I think I'll give it a try at home. Time to secure some chemicals.

·
Registered
367 Posts
You'll be dealing with some nasty stuff. Caustic soda to strip parts, sulfuric acid for anodizing. Nickle Acetate for sealing. You will need a DC power source as well. I'm not sure what this guy recommends, but when I did anodizing back in the 90's, the baths were set at 14-18 volts. Just to warn you, getting a deep, even black color is not easy, even with a full anodizing shop setup. I'd probably look around for a local anodizing shop that can do it for you.

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
You'll be dealing with some nasty stuff. Caustic soda to strip parts, sulfuric acid for anodizing. Nickle Acetate for sealing. You will need a DC power source as well. I'm not sure what this guy recommends, but when I did anodizing back in the 90's, the baths were set at 14-18 volts. Just to warn you, getting a deep, even black color is not easy, even with a full anodizing shop setup. I'd probably look around for a local anodizing shop that can do it for you.
100% agree - after watching my Dad do his own plating (which is similar, but not the same), I will just outsource anodizing - it's nasty stuff.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
FWIW..I tried doing my own anodizing as well. I did NOT get it right with a couple attempts. I think in all cases, my fail method was not enough amps from my cheapy battery charger, as well as not maintaining a correct bath temperature. Since it is nasty stuff, I was doing it outside at the end of winter/start of spring last year..it was 50 °F ish out.

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
Call around. IMO, if you're not going to be doing a LOT of anodizing, the cost of the setup and the risk of a botched batch is just too high.

a good number of choices in your area:
http://www.yellowpages.com/Chicago-IL/Anodizing

you could always contact Blair at Sv racing parts and see if he'd throw your stuff in a batch when he gets stuff done.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts