Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking at anodizing my rims but before I jump into it, I want to be certain of what they are made from. I believe they are cast aluminum. But many times cast wheels are impregnated with a plastic sealant that is invisible to look at to keep them from leaking in tubeless applications. This can cause the anodizing to look splotchy. Also many aluminum wheels are clear anodized to prevent them from corroding and this is almost invisible.

If its not going to work - any suggestions on a different coating process would be great.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Jason

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
No experience with this but I've heard multiple times that cast things look like crap anodized.
You can do a clear/ translucent candy powder coat.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks -- I guess powder coating is the way to go. Cast Al dosent work so well

thanks everyone.
Jason.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I used to work in an anodizing factory. Cast parts are not good candidates for anodizing. The surface does not come out evenly.

Your choices for cast aluminum are pretty much limited to paint, varnish, or powder coating.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I had some parts annodized for another bike and threw in the cast aluminum gas cap to see what would happen. I asked for silver annodize, and it turned out brown. It looked awful. The billet items looked great, though.

Fortunately, they can do amazing things with powdercoat these days.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had some parts annodized for another bike and threw in the cast aluminum gas cap to see what would happen. I asked for silver annodize, and it turned out brown. It looked awful. The billet items looked great, though.

Fortunately, they can do amazing things with powdercoat these days.
Good to know - thanks. I think im going to go the powder coat route.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts