Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I have an oil leak coming from my front valve cover gasket. Ive replaced it. And ive tightened it down twice. I dont really want to tighten it down anymore. Looking for some more ideas. Im half tempted to hit it with some silicone gasket maker, but the thought of my next valve clearance insp. changes my mind. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
a little bit of RTV won't hurt, but with a new gasket really shouldn't be necessary. did you check to make sure the surface was cleaned of all the old gasket material?

don't get too tight, those bolts are spec-ed at @ 9 ft. lbs. and the threads in the cam caps will tear out easily.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Do not over-torque the bolts. Snapping a bolt in your cam box will make for a Very Bad Day.

In addition to checking the cleanliness of the mating surfaces, is there any chance that the valve cover or cam box are warped? The cover would be the more likely suspect; lay it on a known flat surface and check for any high or low spots.

Did you apply a bit of clean motor oil to the clean mating surfaces when you installed the new gasket? Are you sure the gasket is laying flat and was not torn or kinked when you installed it? Are you using OEM gaskets or aftermarket?

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
craig! i didnt even think about warpage! silly me, and im the mechanic. im probably going to open it back up this weekend and re-clean everything. ill check for warpage while i have it off. the gasket is OEM from the dealer.

as far as torquing. i didnt have a torque wrench to do it. being a mechanic im a pretty good judge of it and i couldnt have done much. after the ride home rom the rally i tried re torquing them while hot. they went maybe a 1/16th before i decided not to go anymore.

the warping also raises another question. does the 03 cover not like the head from an 06 that i have on there? maybe if all else fails, ill end up having to get a cover from an 06 as well as a gasket from the same year.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.