Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Can someone look up the law on motorcycle plates?!? Please.

I was going down University. Going 35 exactly and the cop was coming the other way. Pulled a U-turn for no reason really, then once he got behind me - pulled me over. Said he couldn't see my plate and thought the bike was stolen. He even searched the bike for my vin number to verify. He told me that my tail light was not DOT approved (it's not) and that my plate was not legal.

So what is the law on plates? Mine is very visible from behind IMO, but it's not mounted at the rear of the bike. He said this is NOT a fix-it-ticket and that I would have to talk to the judge about it.

I ride becuase gas is stupid expensive, but this is borderline BS harrassment. For once I was being good too! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

What crap.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Its illegal. You deserve your ticket.

B

·
0 Posts
Well he is a university cop, so that had to be the most exciting thing to happen to him all week. I bet he felt like a Big man too. I have the up most respect for the police but campus cops should not have that kind of authority lets face it there is a reason that they're campus cops.......

N

·
0 Posts
Sorry man, but I think the cop was probably right.

Every state is different of course, but around here there would be no question- gotta give you credit for running a LP light though. Google Texas vehicle code or some such thing as they frequently have the actual code posted somewhere.

As to campus cops and arrest powers, what else could you do? If you want to have real (arguable, I know) police protection on campus it's either them or the city cops, and you know the city cops don't have the resources to cover any size campus properly.

:(

·
site supporter
6,095 Posts
He told me that my tail light was not DOT approved (it's not) and that my plate was not legal.

So what is the law on plates?
So you're running a non-legal tail light and you don't even know if your license plate set up is compliant with TX law? Isn't it a little late to be asking this question?
If you removed the stock (legal) set up, why didn't you ask if what you were doing was legal then? I don't see why you've got your undies in such a bunch if you don't have a clue about what's legal under the TX vehicle code and whether or not the cycle you're riding is compliant.
When you mod your bike, whether adding a "race" exhaust or doing fender eliminator as you did, you always take the risk that you're making your bike illegal for the road. It's YOUR responsibility to know IN ADVANCE whether your bike is legal and YOU are at risk for exactly this kind of consequence.

·
Registered
920 Posts
The plate is visible from the angle and position you were in to take the photo.......I don't think it would be readable from anywhere else.

It also looks like any dirt, oil or tar from the roadway would make it illegible pretty quick.

If the Officer is going to be taken to task for anything, it should be his handwriting. I kind of feel sorry for the Clerk that has to go through the citations back at the station and try to make heads or tails of the scribbling.....

N

·
0 Posts
treoff said:
+1 to blue hair.

Appear in court and argue your point. You might get a break from the judge.
+1, sort of. Show up in court, look and act like a good citizen and I bet he'll let you slide (unless your driving record is somewhat, uh, checkered...). BTW, fix it and take a photo for the court. The judge isn't likely to allow much (if any) discussion on the matter.

Good luck!

:)

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
the taillight is probably not DOT because it looks like it has integrated signals.

Yes, your license plate has to be visible from behind, meaning CLEARLY visible.....
so he was justified in your ticket.
sucks, but theres a reason why suzuki puts a snow shovel on the back of the bikes they sell- it places the license plate in a perfectly legal place to conform with states laws (all states)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Now take a picture of it with you sitting on the bike, and then as the back wheel moves up and down going over bumps. Then try and argue it's clearly visible at all times. It's a dumb ticket becuase it's such a simply one to avoid. The plate belongs behind the wheel, not infront of it.

Andy

·
Registered
280 Posts
I say, fix it first. Make sure it's all legal and kosher, then take pictures and bring them to court with you.

If a judge sees that you've already taken the necessary actions to fix it, he'll probably throw out the ticket.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
Part of the telltale is "Texas A & M University Police".

University police - in general - are not nearly as lenient. Doesn't mean your bike isn't illegal - just means you ran out of luck.

You were on a sportbike - which stunters give a bad name - and the guy had a reason to pull you over. Lots of these incidents are fishing expeditions to attempt to find something else.

If you want a break on the ticket - your best chance is to fix the issue and take pictures so the judge can see.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I would not dare that on my campus... they would have tagged me in less then 10 mins of driving around. They are pricks around here... Rode my bicycle one day. Was doing 23 in a twenty - ticket!! Campus cops around here are really strict and there are A LOT of them just riding around on bicycles and motorcycles all over - I guess with forty-five thousand students, they kinda have to be.

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
Let's say somebody stole your bike and rode it away. Wouldn't you want the cops to be able to read the plate and recover the bike? THAT is the whole point to having a plate a cop can read from his driver's seat - it's not harassment. You don't have a light on the plate, and I'd guess that's the 'non-compliant taillight' infraction. I'm surpised he didn't get you for not having turn signals, but state laws vary on integrators, so I guess Texas allows them.
I'd attach a little angle bracket to that silver screw you have right under the brake light, and attach the plate to that, with an LED to illuminate it. I don't understand why it isn't a fixit ticket...take a dated photo of the corrected assembly to court with you and see if the judge buys the fix. Fortunately, it should be a points-free fine, as it's not a moving violation.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
your plate mount is not legal.

the side mounts are not legal either.

I don't know the exact verbage but the plate has to be in the rear center with a light above it and nothing in the way...

·
Registered
397 Posts
just throw on a pair of flush mounts and get a tag bracket to stick your tag out more and you should be fine! GL with that!!!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, considering I made the post when I was angry and at 2 in the morning...I sure got a shitty PM from some jerk about I'm a something hole and he would by the cop a drink etc.

Yeah, so what. I knew the plate was iffy, I was just upset. So what, I'll fix it. It would have been nice to have a warning is all I'm saying. Now I have to deal with a Class B moving violation...

It's not that its bad enough that I got a ticket (I know there are a lot of SV riders out there with this same setup that are not speaking up), but now I get called names in PM's?

I have worked hard to document everything that I have done and make a web site to share my mods. Granted some may or may not be smart or legal, but that's my choice. If nobody ever modded their bike, we wouldn't know as much about our bikes as we do.

Thank you for the people that make honest contributions to this board. Some others....well, Karma is a bitch, and I don't mean that little number count by your name.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Jared McDonley said:
I... Rode my bicycle one day. Was doing 23 in a twenty - ticket!!

;D

Did the ticketing officer get some sort of award for his sterling public service? ::)

1 - 20 of 50 Posts