Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have kind of a odd situation, that just occurred in the last week. I have a 05 naked, with clubman bars installed. When I am riding in a straight line, the handlebars look and feel as if they are angled or turned slightly to the right. The handlebars are centered in the holders. The entire steering head looks to be off center as well, but the bike is traveling straight. It's angled/turned to the point that it is uncomfortable to ride because my hands and arms are in different positions. I rode for about 50 miles then parked and ate. When I came back for dinner, the above problem was there, and I don't recall it being that way for the previous 50 miles or anytime before. The only thing that was slightly different was that I parked on a slight hill, and the wheel was turned opposite hill, but I have parked like that many times before.

Does anyone have any idea what caused this or how to correct this problem?

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
I have kind of a odd situation, that just occurred in the last week. I have a 05 naked, with clubman bars installed. When I am riding in a straight line, the handlebars look and feel as if they are angled or turned slightly to the right. The handlebars are centered in the holders. The entire steering head looks to be off center as well, but the bike is traveling straight. It's angled/turned to the point that it is uncomfortable to ride because my hands and arms are in different positions. I rode for about 50 miles then parked and ate. When I came back for dinner, the above problem was there, and I don't recall it being that way for the previous 50 miles or anytime before. The only thing that was slightly different was that I parked on a slight hill, and the wheel was turned opposite hill, but I have parked like that many times before.

Does anyone have any idea what caused this or how to correct this problem?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sounds like your fork got tweaked a bit in a fall/collision. Hopefully, the tubes aren't bent and loosening them in the triple clamp will do the trick.

I'd try loosening both sides of the upper clamp and also the center nut on top.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Mind did this- it road straight but as soon as we un did the front axle it all popped loose and you could see that one of the forks was tweaked.

So you either get a new fork OR figure which fork is bent- You can run a straight edge around the fork and it will be reall obvious the high/low spots.

When you find the high spot get yourself access to a 20 ton press or the like :) buffer it with some wood blocks and press that high spot real good till its straight.

Many people will tell you this isn't worth doing or that its "wrong" but frankly it knocked a 2mm low spot out of my fork and now im riding straight and solid no problem.

While you are the whole project get yourself some RICCORS or RT Gold Emulators, Sonic Springs, and new Fork Seals :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions and sorry to bring back an old topic, but with regard to the possible bent fork leg, why would the problem become apparent now? The bike hasn't been laid down or even fallen over in almost 5 years. I will try the loosening approach first and hope this will cure the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 6 of 6 Posts