Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased an '07 SV650S with Angel Eyes installed. The low beams were disconnected. Now, to ride at night I have a choice of Angel Eyes only (illegal) or high beams (annoying and possibly illegal). Given that the Angel Eyes cannot be seen with the headlights on what do "Eye" users here do?

A. Eyes connected to separate switch and only use them when bike is off (Seems worthless)?

B. Eyes connected to running lights (or switch), low beams disconnected, high beams only for night?

C. Same as C: with high beam wires connected to low beam lights? (Run lights off during the day and low beam only at night by engaging the high beam switch.)

D. Other options?

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
if they are just in the svs housing like those in the link, I'd hook up your highs and lows like they are supposed to be and wire the halos to the running lights.

TBH, I don't like them so I would unhook them until I had time to remove them.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
They are in the housing. Let's assume for the sake of argument that they are wanted. Hooking up the lights as default means they are never seen as you cannot see them even with the low beams on.

Another consideration. I live in the New York City. When I go outside the city there is still so much traffic I can never run with high beams - this isn't Iowa. I can count the number of times I've ever used high beams on a bike for something other than flashers - one.

So what are my options?

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Legally, and for safety, you should have high beams on during the day (low is legal too of course) and low beams at night. The only time you wouldn't have high or low on is when parked, so I'm going to stick with my first suggestion.

nyc cops really have been *****es lately so they will stop you for this but I also really feel high beams in the day help a lot with visibility.

I guess I would run them off the running lights and install a switch to kill the headlights completely for those occasions where you want the halos seen. I have leds in my plate and marker lights so I leave them on when I'm parked on the street at night; I don't know what the draw is on those halos but if it's low enough, that seems like a good optiion.

Or, maybe install a delay to keep them on for a minute after you turn off the bike or something.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Legally do I need headlights during the day? What about LED body lights? Are those legal in NYC? My bike came with blue "ground effects" as well. Oh, it also has Clear Alternatives integrated brake and rear signals. Any idea if those are legal?

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
yes, almost every state requires motorcycle headlights on during the day.
The highway cops will absolutely also harass you about the integrated signal lights as well, assuming they are as annoying as they were last year. I don't know about the blue leds.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So it sounds like I have two options:

1. Switch the high/low headlight wires and leave high disconnected so low = off and high = dim. Then ride normally with the switch on high - thus running low beams and occasionally turn the switch to low (off) and run with "Eyes" only.

2. Reconnect the lights to the default factory settings, connect the "Eyes" to the running lights and only see them when I turn the parking lights on.

3. Any other options? What does everyone else do?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess I would run them off the running lights and install a switch to kill the headlights completely for those occasions where you want the halos seen. I have leds in my plate and marker lights so I leave them on when I'm parked on the street at night; I don't know what the draw is on those halos but if it's low enough, that seems like a good optiion.
Alright. The weather finally cooperated with me enough to ride my new SV to work today. I realized that you are right. I am hardly ever going to run with the headlights off so I'm going to hook the factory back up.

That said... I'd like the option to occasionally disable the low beams and show the halos... I also want to avoid cutting the into the factory wiring harness.

Any recommendations for a headlight kill switch?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Can Somebody tell me if Angel eyes or halos are available for K1 sv650s?? and whether they can get to new zealand. cheers i would love to get some

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also. Several people have asked me for pics of the Angel Eyes with the low beams on and I cannot seam to get a good pic of it. The low beam light washes out the picture. Any photographers know how to take this picture?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey all! I?m just reading through these posts doing research for upgrading my headlights in my 04 Sv650s. I really like the look of the angel eyes, but my question is, of course, if they are washed out by both the high and low beams, what?s the point? I would never keep my lights on when parked. Are they bright enough to use as running lights and low beams? If not, Is it possible to have the angel eyes as running lights, and still have two other options for low and high beam?

·
Greetings Program
6,281 Posts
Legally do I need headlights during the day? What about LED body lights? Are those legal in NYC? My bike came with blue "ground effects" as well. Oh, it also has Clear Alternatives integrated brake and rear signals. Any idea if those are legal?
Most (if not all) states require motorcycles to have headlights on at all times. Which is why it's very hard to "turn them off" on anything built post-80's.

Different states/cities have different rules about "underglow". Most don't specifically say anything, but here are some rough guidelines:

1) Most state rules specify that any direct lighting must be white or amber from the front, and red or amber from the rear when the vehicle is in motion. What this means is that the underglow lights may be there, but that the lights can not be directly visible.

2) States differ greatly on whether the lights can be on when the vehicle is in motion, and what colors may be used. In SoCal, blue is a no-no, as it is a reserved color for police vehicles only. In some areas in SoCal, red is also a no-no (Orange County Sheriffs will stop you for red), but most other colors can be used when in motion as long as the bulbs are well tucked out of direct view.

As far as the integrated turns, again check local statutes - in CA, there is a specific amount of distance (9") required between left and right signals, some cities enforce and others don't.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts