Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ow... Always was told that it's not a 'if' you crash but a 'when' you crash. (For the record I think that is a BS phrase, just not in my case anymore...)

Thankfully my guardian angel was on duty. Minor damage to me, minor damage to the bike and no one else was involved.

Skipping work today though :p

The Story

I was going probably about 3 mph, but the impact was likely more like 10-15 mph. I was leaned too hard for the corner (right turn, semi sharp) and had dirt on my tire from my dirt road and gassed it to match the amount of lean I gave it. The rear wheel slid probably about 6-12 inches to the left due to lack of traction and then I steered sharp to not drop it on the right side (wish I'd have let it fall). Then both me and the bike whipped over and slammed into the pavement on my left side.

Following the impact and the split second shock I crawled off the road praying not to get hit by a car, then laid in the ditch for about thirty seconds. Knowing a fair bit about medical stuff, starting giving myself all the self administrable tests possible (wiggle toes etc). I decided I was good and jumped up before folks called an ambulance.

Picked the bike up with help from an unknown passerby who said he was looking at getting a bike soon, checked the ride-ability, hopped on and took her back home.

Damage to the bike:

Scratched the anodizing on my left bar end mirror and my clutch lever, didn't break either.

Broke my shifter peg and bent the small piece of metal that it moves to actually shift.

Scraped my top box and my windscreen lightly.

No tank damage, no plastics damage (not much plastic to damage being a nekkid bike and all...).

My cheap (~$40) frame slider took the vast majority of the force from the impact and then the sliding there after. Getting a better set this round. Also probably saved my shin/knee from getting smashed by the bike at all...

Damage to Myself

My left hip took the brunt of the force for my main body. Having a slightly oversized jacket means it got brushed up and I took a slight road rash (1" x 3"). My right hand (still can't figure this one out) took a slight scrape on my the second knuckle (up from the nail) on the thumb. My left knee took a slight scrape through my kevlar riding jeans. Last to impact was my head, I heard a good smack when it impacted with the ground, and my visor partially popped off due to the quick release.

That's the extent of my injuries.

I'll have some good bruises and have some minor scrapes. Rode back to the house, I'm walking with no head or neck trauma so far.

All in all, no complaints. ;)

Oh, yeah...

Any one have a shifter I could buy? :hiding2:

·
Registered
905 Posts
You need to clean that windscreen and headlight off, man. It's an insect holocaust on there!

Otherwise it's remarkably similar to my first 'Oops,' only I low-sided instead of a high. My foot also somehow got stuck under the bike (not an SV), and I couldn't get the old steel monster off me. Had to chill until someone happened to drive by and I explained my situation to them. Fortunately because it was an old steel monster, the only damage was a slightly bent brake lever which I used a big ole' pipe wrench to bend back. :p

Don't forget you'll likely need a new helmet now.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
New helmet, a proper fitting jacket, new frame sliders and a shifter before I'm getting back on for sure!

For a high side I got lucky both myself and for the bike. Will need to double check the forks but I'm pretty sure they are fine.

Thanks everyone, and seriously - anyone have a shifter? :p

·
Iron Butt Moderator
9,271 Posts
Screw, no, bolt yes. Drill, tap and put a bolt on the shifter, much stronger and you can shorten it some so it won't snap again.

Your ok, that's the important thing.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Glad to hear all good! and +1 on the folding shifter, they are cheap to buy and probably hold up, although I have yet to test mine...

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Well.....that saying was said for a reason. I'm in the 'been down' AND 'been down HARD' categories.:) Just wondering what kind of tires you are running and their condition? Granted, the best rubber doesn't work as well when covered with dirt, but this might be a good way of hinting that you need to upgrade your interface with the road.

·
MOTORADOR
10,969 Posts
Man, it sucks that you went down... but I'm really glad you're relatively ok.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Im sorry, but this sounds like a hell of a lot of hooplah for a 3 mph "crash"... Ive done this probably 1000 times messing around on my old dirtbike...

I also find it hilarious you had to lay on the side of the road to "recover from shock"... but w/e. Im gonna go back into hiding now to avoid the inevitable, resulting flame war.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Im sorry, but this sounds like a hell of a lot of hooplah for a 3 mph "crash"... Ive done this probably 1000 times messing around on my old dirtbike...
I would almost have to agree .. except high-siding onto asphalt might just have a teensy-bit more impact than high-siding on dirt; wouldn't ya agree?

·
Registered
818 Posts
Glad you're okay & hope you find a shift lever soon.

One more possible explanation of the highside may be that you chopped the throttle when the rear slid. That is a common survival reaction, and you may have done it w/o even realizing it.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
I think the same thing on nearly every "I crashed" thread (except zabrow's http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=160041). I've gone down hard many many times on almost every dirtbike I've owned. (about a dozen of them) Crashed into trees, dirt, asphalt, and ice. High sided, low sided, gone over the front, and back of the bike. Busted up bikes and myself but never had an issue getting back on. When I went down on the street, I got back on the bike (after sending one of the guy's I was riding with home in an ambulance), did a few wheelies, and rode home. Then the next day I went back to the corner and took it 10 times in a row to make sure I was still in the game.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well.....that saying was said for a reason. I'm in the 'been down' AND 'been down HARD' categories.:) Just wondering what kind of tires you are running and their condition? Granted, the best rubber doesn't work as well when covered with dirt, but this might be a good way of hinting that you need to upgrade your interface with the road.
I've got Metzler z6 Interacts with maybe 2k on the rear and about 10k on the front. Pretty sure it was the dirt, cold tires, my tiredness (I spent all last night in the ER with the GF) and me wanting to get on the throttle.

Man, it sucks that you went down... but I'm really glad you're relatively ok.
Thanks buddy!

I dirtbike too, but the whip of my head into the pavement was definitely worse than any dirtbike crash...and as for the "Hooplah", sorry I chose to spend my new found day off analyzing my mistakes and sharing?

·
Premium Member
4,845 Posts

Good thing you had minor injuries!

I can't figure out what the deal is with that slider. I had some cheapos that mounted to the front cylinder bolt and now I have Motosliders that mount with the through bolt. But I've never seen sliders mounted where yours are, way out back and very high up. All the other sliders I've seen mount forward of the one in the picture.

At least it seems to have worked, regardless of the mounting position. :eek:ccasion14:

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Good thing you had minor injuries!

I can't figure out what the deal is with that slider. I had some cheapos that mounted to the front cylinder bolt and now I have Motosliders that mount with the through bolt. But I've never seen sliders mounted where yours are, way out back and very high up. All the other sliders I've seen mount forward of the one in the picture.

At least it seems to have worked, regardless of the mounting position. :eek:ccasion14:

I wouldn't be surprised if I installed these in the wrong spot - my knees almost hit them when I was scooted forward on the tank. Although they definitely did the job...

Couple quick questions:

Are these the motosliders everyone always talk about: http://www.svracingparts.com/products/#ecwid:category=633297&mode=product&product=1626505

and whats the story on the "no cut" versus the other?

Also, anyone know where I can find the shift linkage? I've been searching online to no avail. Probably go with the Outlaw shifter off fleabay...

Thanks! :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts