Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2000 SV650 N
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Two weeks ago I saw a post, her first, by new member "Wendy", who was selling a gen2 for her friend. I thought it was odd that she posted a pic of her own Yamaha, rather than pics of the bike she was selling, but whatever. Here is Wendy's first post. Notice in the first pic the cameraman's reflection in the tank was imaged out. Further, Soulspinner asked her why she posted a pic of the ignition, she simply apologized and said she'd post more.

Wendy's first post Edit: Wendy's posts have been removed.

Later in the day, Wendy posted a Bike For Sale ad showing a few obscure pics of a yellow gen2. She indicated it ran 6 months ago, but sat, then would not start. She said it is probably the fuel pump because it was not making a sound with the key on. The price was $490. I immediately PM'd her telling her I would buy it. I figured any gen2 for $490 would be worth the risk.

Wendy's second post

A day later I received a text from someone about the SV for sale. He texted me a pic of a black gen2. Funny, Wendy's pic indicated the color was yellow. I supposed someone may have painted it black, and left the under seat bits yellow. I asked him/her/it what it was doing before it stopped running. He said it threw a C12 fault. That scared me.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle

He (for brevity I am going to use the male pronoun) said he'd sell it to me for $700 shipped. I told him my concern with the C12. He said "We have another bike." WTF? I thought Mr. Wendy was selling the bike for a friend. Now he has another? My ass started to twitch.

Font Terrestrial plant Screenshot

So he sends me a pic of a beautiful silver gen2 S. I love silver. But, the picture is watermarked. I thought this is getting weird.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Product

So I told Mr. Wendy to send a pic of him sitting on the bike. He said he sent the wrong pic. Then he sent me a pic of a blue gen2. I asked him where is the yellow bike his opening post referenced. He said "the yellow bike is here".

Land vehicle Motor vehicle Tire Wheel Vehicle

Finally, I started getting fed up. He sent some more bullshit texts.

Product Green Font Terrestrial plant Screenshot

Ultimately, I told him he was full of shit, and FO.

Product Terrestrial plant Font Line Screenshot

So, I guess this is how a scam works. Mr. Wendy was hoping I'd send him some bucks for a motorcycle he obviously did not have. Crazy shit. Be careful.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Seems to be more scams hitting motorcycle boards, I posted that I was looking for BST carbon fiber wheels (on another board), after a month got a message, started communicating thought I had something solid but alas no. No financial damage but certainly a blow for my trust in humanity.

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
It can happen in all kinds of forms. When I was selling the Ducati (FB Marketplace), guy messaged me wanting me to bring it to him, said he had cash and wanted it. The catch was where and when. A small off ramp town about 90 miles down the interstate from me, at 1:30 in the morning (when he "got off work"). Um Hmm, naw man, can't do it.
He never replied again..

·
Registered
2009 FJR1300A
7 Posts
That’s pretty egregious. Glad it became obvious enough that you didn’t actually get taken for a ride. No pun intended. Places like FB and Craigslist are super dodgy but the forum regulars (obviously not what you were dealing with) are a super stand up crowd.

When I sold my last bike on Craigslist the scam that came my way was actually pretty subtle and sneaky. They say they really want the bike but they just need essentially a “carfax” report for peace of mind. It only costs you $50 or whatever and no big deal because they’ll pay you back the $50 when they come pick up the bike. And of course your bike is clean so the report will come back fine right? No worries. Except they run the scam carfax site so they steal your $50 and your credit card info. I did not fall for it.

Stay frosty out there.

·
Super Moderator
9,433 Posts
But, but, it's "Wendy". She wouldn't scam anyone, would she? :unsure:

There is a new SVR site rule (4/27/2022) requiring 10 days and 10 posts before being allowed to post in the classifieds. It won't stop the scams but it will help evaluate who is legit.

"Wendy" will be banned shortly but leaving the thread up for now for context of Geo's post.

·
Registered
445 Posts
There was a scam running down here a few years ago when I was selling my mint Repsol CBR250. Had a Malaysian lady who wanted to buy it for her son because they didnt have that model bike in their country. (first alarm bell goes off) She asked me to send her a payment request through paypal which I did. Then I get an email from paypal that for all intents looked legit showing that the funds were ready to be transferred into my account pending $700 that needed to be paid for freight charges. $700 had been added to the purchase price to make me think I was going to get that money back once the funds were released. (alarm bell goes into overdrive). At this stage I did a quick google search of paypal scams and all I needed to know was in front of me. It had been going on for months, I just hadn't heard of it. Unfortunately people were falling for it and paying out as much as $4000 for 'freight charges' on cars to be sold to overseas buyers/scammers
What a shame we have to constantly be on the look out for these douche bags.

·
Registered
2000 SV650 N
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dear Wendy. She will be missed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
There was a scam running down here a few years ago when I was selling my mint Repsol CBR250. Had a Malaysian lady who wanted to buy it for her son because they didnt have that model bike in their country. (first alarm bell goes off)
I had to buy out of country for my CBR250, so out of country isn’t necessarily a scam. But yeah, the difference is I had a in person proxy buyer, then drove 2000 miles there and back to pick it up. Do you regret getting rid of it yet?

What a shame we have to constantly be on the look out for these douche bags.
Agreed.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I had to buy out of country for my CBR250, so out of country isn’t necessarily a scam. But yeah, the difference is I had a in person proxy buyer, then drove 2000 miles there and back to pick it up. Do you regret getting rid of it yet?
No, I dont seem to get overly attached to my bikes. I've had about 20 odd now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts