Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past 3 weeks, I've been trying to get rid of my ninja 250. I have a beautiful svs waiting for me, and all I need is a buyer. Today was the day!

The people showed up, liked the bike, and we were set at 2100. One problem, despite me telling them cash only in e-mail, they brought a check. The deal was off.

Depressed, I rode the 250 that I suddenly despised for a solid 2 hours. I hit tons of turns and now don't feel too bad. Everything felt right today and she stuck to the ground like glue. I enjoyed keeping her at a solid 9.5 rpm constantly. It was an absolute blast.

Moral of the story: I can't wait for my SV, but the "girly" (or should i say, girlier) 250 will be missed dearly when our separation occurs.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
The dude that I bought my SV from wanted cash, but I will not carry that much money on me, ever. I drove almost 90 miles to look at it, and I wasn't going home empty handed. After some b!tching and moaning, he took the check and I rode it home.

I like when I see ads on craigslist and people say "cash only" when their asking price is $10K or more.

·
OberKommandant
6,127 Posts
Really? I've carried that much, and more, several times to purchase vehicles. WTFE. If it says cash only, that means cash only.
Seriously. Is there a sign that says "Hey! Crooks! This guy's carrying a wad of cash!"

·
Registered
794 Posts
Really? I've carried that much, and more, several times to purchase vehicles. WTFE. If it says cash only, that means cash only.
Exactly. I've also done the same, you just watch to see no one's watching you when you pull the cash. Put it in a non-obvious envelope, pocket it and be on your way. I've only done this when I KNOW I'm serious about the purchase.

OP: Sorry to hear about them d*cking you around like that, but I'm sure you'll sell it. I still have to sell my 500R and I know what you mean about it being sad to sell, but after taking it for a ride, then immediately riding my SV, it's nothing I'll lose sleep over. The SV is just that much better. Good luck with the sale and future acquisition. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
362 Posts
I would have offered to go to the bank with them, have them withdraw the cash, and sign the papers right there, and have them notarized at the bank.

And I've never done a cash transaction like that in a public place. Every time I have bought a vehicle from a private owner, its been on their private premises. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
Yes, cash only doesn't always mean dollar bills. I consider a cashiers check as acceptable payment for a cash only sale.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was willing to drive them to a bank and withdraw the money, but they deposited the money today so it wasn't even in the system yet. It just seemed shady. I would have done it cuz I'm young and dumb, but my dad (who is technically the owner) wasn't having it. Oh well.

Located near Allentown, PA btw.

·
OberKommandant
6,127 Posts
I was willing to drive them to a bank and withdraw the money, but they deposited the money today so it wasn't even in the system yet. It just seemed shady. I would have done it cuz I'm young and dumb, but my dad (who is technically the owner) wasn't having it. Oh well.

Located near Allentown, PA btw.
Yeah, that does sound shady, your pop is a wise man.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
The dude that I bought my SV from wanted cash, but I will not carry that much money on me, ever. I drove almost 90 miles to look at it, and I wasn't going home empty handed. After some b!tching and moaning, he took the check and I rode it home.
If it was my bike, you would have went home empty handed.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If it was my bike, you would have went home empty handed.
+1

I only take cash for bikes, and I say so when someone wants to look at a bike I have for sale. Scam-proof and easy. I'll go to a bank with someone to withdraw it on the spot, as mentioned.

As a buyer, I'm all over cash. Someone whose price is 'firm' can get less firm when you have cash in hand. Again, as mentioned - put it in a plain white envelope, withdraw it just before you go, and have a friend go with you.

·
Registered
57 Posts
going through the same thing..trying to get rid of my 2005 ninja 250..well maintained...and for some reasons there hasnt been a ton of interest yet (at least anyone serious)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
going through the same thing..trying to get rid of my 2005 ninja 250..well maintained...and for some reasons there hasnt been a ton of interest yet (at least anyone serious)
yeah. 2007 here w/ just under 4000 miles. must be all the newbs going for the spring deals for gixxer 600's.

About the money method, does anyone else check the bills? I have a pen and I'm sure as hell using it. Can't wait to see their face when I start doodling on their money.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Can't hurt...

But be sure you count it bill-by-bill as soon as you get it, in front of the buyer, before anyone has had a chance to get out of anyone's sight. Sometimes buyers 'accidentally' forget a bill.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts