Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to say hello and introduce myself. Hopefully I'll be seeing a few of you sometime next year as I get started racing with CMRA.

I've been lurking on SVRider for a while (even before I registered). I had an '03 SV650 'n' which was my first bike. The bike was purchased in '10 and ridden ~9K miles in the year I owned it. I'd come from drifting and driving cars at a decent pace so the learning curve wasn't as steep as it may have been for some and I really enjoyed the bike, and it's probably the reason I'm here again instead of posting this on a Ninja 250 forum.

Oddly enough, a friend of mine would end up purchasing this SV from the person I sold it to almost exactly 1 month afterwards. I still see it often and it's well taken care of.

About a week before I sold the SV, I had lined up a deal on what I thought, and still consider to be one of the best 'nakeds' out there, a gen 2 Tuono.

After putting a few thousand miles on the priller and meeting some of the fine folks at AF1, I had come to the conclusion I'd like to progress my riding by going to the track. It's taken me a little while, but I've begun putting the items together to get there, and it's started with another SV.

In this case, an '08 already put together for the track. I spent some time looking locally and this is what I ended up with. Some weren't as nice as advertised, others I didn't pull the trigger quickly enough, but in the end, I think I've got a great bike to get started on.

I'm sure a few of you that are already involved with CMRA may recognize this bike (used to be numbered 646). It is well prepared for SSD and I know it is capable (in capable hands of course, not mine) of being quick in LWT. I look forward to getting it on track and having some fun. I've been just going through it in my garage and other than a few odds/ends to 'clean up' or 'make mine' i really have no reason to change anything.

A few questions. The upper fairing was mounted with the stock S brackets (cowl brackets that go from behind the frame spars to the fairing) and they were bent from a previous off I assume. Is there a better way to mount this bodywork? Does anyone happen to have a pair that aren't bent?

Where is a good place to locate a PAIR delete kit? The less unnecessary junk, the better is how I see it, and it seems pretty easy to do.

One thing I never liked about my old SV was the brake master felt like junk even after a solid bleed. Are there any superstock legal upgrades or options out there? I will say this one does feel a little better and I'm sure that's attributed to the Vesrah pads and SS lines, but it's still like a Suzuki master (Tokico I think).

This bike was built off an 'N' so it's still got the naked bike triple clamps. Would there be a reason to swap to the S clamps to get the S rake/trail?

Cheers,
Corey

·
Registered
835 Posts
Welcome! I also race CMRA (along with several others on here), but haven't been on the track since the engine died in May. Good news though is that I should be getting the replacement engine today, and with any luck, installing it on Sunday (pending a good compression test). My bike is a 1G and is easily recognizable due to the bare metal gas tank.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Ryan Max Johnson's old bike, nice! That bike had 28 novice wins, 4 CMRA championships, and a couple WERA GNF championships last year, so it's definitely capable of being quick.
I know what you mean about the master cylinder feeling kinda crappy...but honestly, with the Vesrah pads, it's got more than enough stopping power.
Welcome!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

snlsmith, perhaps I'll see you out there.

andygill17, you're correct. Ryan was very nice to deal with and him on that bike saw quite a bit of the top step! I'm going to stick with what it's got and just make sure I bleed the hell out of it. Hopefully, when I do get on track, I don't make the bike look too bad.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts