Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching the race from road Atlanta on Speedtv last night and the racing was pretty exciting and very competitive if you were looking at the second place battle. Between josh Hayes, Tommy Hayden, Blake Young and others. The Only problem with the whole race is one Matt Mladin. He is devastating the whole field, he qualified a second and a half over second place Josh Hayes. During the race he was lapping a second quicker then the whole field. His teammates are on the same equipment and they aren’t even close to him. This is Tommy Hayden second year with the team he should be at least a little bit closer to Mladin than he is. The only kryptonite to Mladin’s dominance was Ben Spies and know that he is gone nobody seems to want to step up there game or is just that Mladin is that much better than they are. Wow is a shame.

If the DMG wants to have the competitive series that they have been talking about there is only one thing to do get rid of Mladin and you’ll have a great series if not is going to be a The Mladin Show 2009.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
can you say a fully sorted bike!!

the poor Yammers are still in develpoment!! NO TESTING!!

the difference is obvious!!

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
yeah, get rid of the premier racer in the series.

and I thought DMG had some bad ideas. :jerkbag:

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
so supercross should get rid of james stewart because he is by far the fastest? Chad reed only stands a chance if stewart goes down.

Mladin is a great rider and you want them to "kick" him out because he wins? wow.........

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
****, what kind of pistol should I use?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Mladin has bugged me for a long time, I always wished he would move up to WSBK but he seems to relish being the big fish in a small pond.

The only hope is that the '09 Suzuki which they will begin using soon is a POS and they have to spend the rest of the year sorting it out...not likely.

Of course there would be less issue here if they used the same spec as WSBK then they could use the much larger development budgets there in combination...but that would be too easy!

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Yea, after the race Mladin mentioned the '09s are coming soon. While I guess Matty will continue to dominate it may take them a few races to get the bike fully sorted, meaning the field may get somewhat closer. The R1's seem to be getting better every week so that is promising.

I also wonder why Mladin hasn't moved to WSBK?? Spies is having a good year so far and even he commented about how a few of the AMA riders could be successful over there. While I don't really pay attention to SBK a few of the AMA guys going over would probably get me more interested.

·
Registered
105 Posts
He won't move out he is to busy cherry picking,AMA should give him the boot, all BS aside.

·
Registered
30 Posts
He won't move out he is to busy cherry picking,AMA should give him the boot, all BS aside.
I don't think you just "move" to World Superbike, I think you have to have a team willing to take you! Mladan is just that much better than everyone else at this level, hate to admit it, but he is.
I thinkl DMG is doing an admirable job all things considered.

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
It's amazing how much ignorant commentary Mladin seems to generate. :rolleyes:

In order for him to go to WSB he wanted a ride that:

A) Was on a bike capable of winning the championship.

and

B) Paid at least close to what he was making in the AMA

Intelligent requirements list if you ask me. Such a ride was never offered so he stayed here, making money to support his family.

One of the problems he had was that historically Laguna was his worst track, and the WSB movers and shakers only saw him in person there. It's also pretty clear that the European crowd doesn't place much value on AMA wins and championships. Obviously that Suzuki didn't realize what they had in Spies.

I've never been able to understand the anti-Mladin sentiment I'm always hearing. He's an incredible talent, and shows up at the track with the goal of being fastest in practice, fastest in qualifying and winning the race. No BS, no drama, just total focus on the job at hand. He's also not afraid to say exactly what he thinks, and doesn't care much who likes it or doesn't.
All admirable traits in my book.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
It's amazing how much ignorant commentary Mladin seems to generate. :rolleyes:

In order for him to go to WSB he wanted a ride that:

A) Was on a bike capable of winning the championship.

and

B) Paid at least close to what he was making in the AMA

Intelligent requirements list if you ask me. Such a ride was never offered so he stayed here, making money to support his family.

One of the problems he had was that historically Laguna was his worst track, and the WSB movers and shakers only saw him in person there. It's also pretty clear that the European crowd doesn't place much value on AMA wins and championships. Obviously that Suzuki didn't realize what they had in Spies.

I've never been able to understand the anti-Mladin sentiment I'm always hearing. He's an incredible talent, and shows up at the track with the goal of being fastest in practice, fastest in qualifying and winning the race. No BS, no drama, just total focus on the job at hand. He's also not afraid to say exactly what he thinks, and doesn't care much who likes it or doesn't.
All admirable traits in my book.

+1, I agree with everything Rich just said!

I like Mladin. I must admit that watching the last race on Speed we never really saw him because he was so far ahead and only really got the 2nd place on battle, but I have to give it to the guy he can rail.

Asking for a good ride and a comparable paycheck is nothing wrong, I'd stay too if I were in his place.

Maybe his and Suzuki's dominance is slowly making other riders and teams better, espically once AMA/DMG irons some other things out to close a bit of the Suzuki gap. I doubt that all the other teams or Hayden are all sitting around writing off 1st and racing for 2nd place on.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
All I’m saying that is sad to watch a race were everybody is racing for second place, and I’m 95% sure that the whole season is going to be like this unless they add to him a weight penalty or something to slow him down. His teammates have the same bike and I’m sure they have to share setups with in the whole Yoshimura team. The whole point of the AMA/DMG is for the races to be more competitive and so far they are if you’re looking at second place.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Not AMA/DMG's fault that he is that much better than everyone else.

Maybe we should have made Michael Jordan tie a hand behind his back or Roger Clemens not allowed to throw fastballs over 90 mph or even have Barry Sanders retire early...Oh wait that actually happened.

Maybe he is wanting to stay big fish in a small pond or maybe the money and team in WSBK isn't there. Either way the man can haul @ss here in the USA and if he can continue to dominate the field more power to him. I'll keep watching...

Why does everyone seem to hate winners?

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
All I’m saying that is sad to watch a race were everybody is racing for second place, and I’m 95% sure that the whole season is going to be like this unless they add to him a weight penalty or something to slow him down. His teammates have the same bike and I’m sure they have to share setups with in the whole Yoshimura team. The whole point of the AMA/DMG is for the races to be more competitive and so far they are if you’re looking at second place.
Dude, that's moronic. You want to penalize Mladin just because he's good?? You want to penalize excellence?? You don't want racing, you want some stupid dumbed down "entertainment".
There's a lot more to racing then 2 guys directly battling for the lead. If you don't understand what going on that's fine, just go watch wrestling or NASCAR and leave real sports in peace.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Then all they have to do is go faster and keep his pace. It is, after all, a race. It is a competition to see who's machine/pilot is the fastest. People want to dilute it down so that no one can be faster than another in the name of "racing"?

Ben is showing that he and Mat are among the top 10 racers in the world. I feel priveleged that i've shaken his hand and seen him race over the years. He has been putting the smack down on some talented racers for a long time.

I actually admire Mat Mladin for staying here. The reason that he has stayed is that he is raising a family HERE. He can make top dollar doing what he loves (Spies took a pay cut this year) and be home to tuck his girls in practically every night. He flies his own plane and makes it home every sunday night after he races. He has his priorities in order and doesn't give two hoots about what people think. I say good for him!!!

It isn't his fault his competition is behind. People should be upset at the other teams for being off pace, not at Mladin for being too fast. ?????

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
If you want to see a race where they punish you for winning by too big of a margin, I suggest you start watching NASCAR. ;)

Now that I said that, since DMG is running the show, They probably WILL punish Mladin for being too fast.

·
Registered
105 Posts
it is my opinion that they did just that last year. (and for running his mouth).

I'll duck and run for cover. This was beaten to death last year. :)

He's already on probation this year for missing an autograph session.

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
...Now that I said that, since DMG is running the show, They probably WILL punish Mladin for being too fast.
Edmonson was pretty adamant about that sort of thing when they first took over. I forget the exact quote, but it was along the lines of "it's stupid for a racing series to allow runaway winners." In other words, "work hard, do well, get penalized for it."

What's really funny to me is all the redneck flag-waving American-way commie-hating yahoos who love NASCAR, when there's a fundamently Communist philosophy behind it. ;D

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dude, that's moronic. You want to penalize Mladin just because he's good?? You want to penalize excellence?? You don't want racing, you want some stupid dumbed down "entertainment".
There's a lot more to racing then 2 guys directly battling for the lead. If you don't understand what going on that's fine, just go watch wrestling or NASCAR and leave real sports in peace.

Maybe you don't know how to read “moronic” I never said that I wanted to punish him I said that maybe DMG will cause He is damaging their plan for a competitive series by being that much better then the rest of the field. They already try to suspend him for not signing autographs who knows what they’ll do next. “And he is foreign and not ridding a Buell”

1 - 20 of 42 Posts