Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
If you don't race I just don't see the AMA membership. You can subscriber to a bike mag for less than $10 a year, 3 mags for $30.

The AMA has around 250K members. Compared to the number of riders in the US, that's not too many. If you take all the dirt and track racers out of the membership number it means they have **** few non-racing members. Many organizations require AMA membership to participate in their races.

When was the last time you visited a shop or a website that offered a discount to AMA members?

I think the AMA does some good things with legislation but they just don't have much clout. The Harley Owners Group (HOG) probably has 10 times the membership.

I was a member back when I competed in MX, enduro and cross country.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bike bandit, and the only dealership in my area actually. I really liked the idea of the free roadside assisntance... I feel like that alone could be worth 40 a year. Since I'm in florida which doesn't require any insurance on bikes, and my insurance with roadside assistance would be over 2,500 a year... For all vehicles you own too. I've heard good things about the magazine so far, so its a plus. Also seems like a easy way to keep track of AMA racing which I'd really like to get into watching.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
AMA has free roadside assistance now with membership which is what is really useful. Plus supporting the AMA does more for your rights as a motorcyclist than most other organizations in the country. If you have no idea what sort of ridiculous legislature they try to keep from becoming law, you should look up some the crazy stuff they save you from.

I don't really care about the magazine as much as the above.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
When was the last time you visited a shop or a website that offered a discount to AMA members?
As mentioned already, bikebandit.com gives a discount to AMA members :).

·
site supporter
6,051 Posts
. Plus supporting the AMA does more for your rights as a motorcyclist than most other organizations in the country. If you have no idea what sort of ridiculous legislature they try to keep from becoming law, you should look up some the crazy stuff they save you from.

I don't really care about the magazine as much as the above.
Your health insurance company wants to deny you coverage for injuries suffered while riding your motorcycle.
Your employer wants to exclude you from your health plan because you ride a motorcycle.
The mall wants to keep you and your noisy motorcycle out of their parking lot/garage.
The Podunkville Police Department wants to keep you from riding on public trails in their jurisdiction.
The Gotham City police department wants to seize your motorcycle becuase you have an aftermarket can.
The Gotham City PD tickets you for operating your bike in an HOV lane, even though under federal law, your motorcycle is an HOV
The Riverside City Council wants to deny you the right to ride your dirtbike on YOUR OWN LAND.

There are all actual situations (in some cases, the names have been changed to protect the idiotic, or because I can't remember them) where your right to ride has come under attack. In each situation the American Motorcyclist Association has lobbbied to preserve and/or defended the rights under attack. I belong to the AMA because I want to be able to enjoy the rights of other vehicle operators and not suffer unfair/expensive discrimination becuase I own and ride a motorcycle.

Don't confuse the real work of the AMA with the NASCAR-style superbike racing you see on SPEED. That may be the most visible AMA-branded activity in your sights, but it's by far the least important. Sometimes I disagree with an AMA position, but that's very rare.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
what fatass said!!
still a member, joined in the early 70's for MX racing..

Jermey McGrath, among others, was involved bigtime in the Riverside deal, as he lives there.... can't ride on your own land??!! WTF??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts