Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you guys feel about the AMA Daytona Supersport class. Right now I think it's dumb allowing the Buell race in there. But being the hypocrite I am, Chaz Davies and his Aprilia to win every race. But anywho, I just wanted to get some opinions from other people on the subject.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I'll say this - it's the first time in my life that I’ve ever followed an AMA series. The machinery interests me just as much as any other single aspect of racing, so if there’s no variety then I’m not interested. By ‘variety’ I don’t mean four different makes of Japanese inline-four 600cc bikes.

That being said, if Buell and Aprilia don’t develop their bikes out of Supersport then they’re not trying very hard.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I'm ok with it as long as the racing is close and no one make has an unfair advantage. This is a learning year for DMG and I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt but for 2010 I expect things (rules, etc...) to be ironed out and running smoothly. The one thing I can't get used to and hope they do away with is the freakin safety car...

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
no different than running a 4stroke 250 in the "125" class!! and 400/450's in the "250" class!!

what happened to the good ole 125,250,Open classes??

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I am fine with the rolling starts..not a big deal to me. Saves clutches from multiple standing restarts.

I do think the yellow flag car coming out and group bunching back up each time is not a good thing. If you worked hard to build a lead..you deserve to keep it. This aint Nascar.

I know there is a lot of debate about the whole debate about the Buells and if there is an unfair advantage.....but I am happy to be seeing multiple makes all up in the top five and not one really stomping anyone else.

What is ghey is the new commercial....where they try to get more people into. I see better work on local cable stations.

That's all I got.

·
Registered
220 Posts

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
I think DMG has really screwed things up. How can you have an 1125cc Buell running against 600cc inline fours? If that were fair, why don't we just let the 1098 Ducati run in that series? The reason is that Ducati knows how to build a performance motorcycle and Buell doesn't. Just because the bike is a poor performer doesn't mean you give it twice the displacement! No one counts Danny Eslick's wins as real. Just because you can pull away from everyone down the straights doesn't make you a great rider (not bashing Eslick, just the Buell). The purpose of the class is to see who builds the best bikes and who is the best rider. Throwing the Buell in just screws up the whole mix. If anything, I would think it would hurt Buell's sales to be in the series. After all, they are getting beat by a bike half their size!

If I'm a manufacturer, I go racing to show my technology and in return, sell bikes. If I'm an engineer on a team, I want you to give me a set of rules, and let me build the best bike possible within those rules. If you give the guy in the next pit box a totally different set of rules, what's the point?

I also think the rolling starts suck. That's one of the most exciting parts of a bike race. that pretty much eliminates the chances of a lesser guy getting a really good start and mixing it up with the big dogs. DMG should stick to NASCRAP where the fans don't actually like racing.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well the reason the Buell is in there is because its not as highly tuned as the inline fours. I count Eslick's wins because he truly rides the hell out of the bike. Sure he has a straight line advantage, but he also has a heavier bike. But I still don't agree with the fact it's an 1125 racing against 600's. But for now, it makes for tons of good racing.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Eslicks got talent( read it again, they acknowledge that), and that is why he is winning..its not the bike alone. if it was, explain why Cardenas has the same number of wins, at three:

http://www.amaproracing.com/rr/events/standings.cfm?class=ds

And Hacking is the points leader.

Not to mention the Buell is much heavier, especially with penalty weight, and much harder to flip back and forth like the jap bikes.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Eslicks got talent( read it again, they acknowledge that), and that is why he is winning..its not the bike alone. if it was, explain why Cardenas has the same number of wins, at three:

http://www.amaproracing.com/rr/events/standings.cfm?class=ds

And Hacking is the points leader.

Not to mention the Buell is much heavier, especially with penalty weight, and much harder to flip back and forth like the jap bikes.
they were actually saying that the Buell was easier to flick back and forth.

im all for trying to make things equal. but why are they rewarding a company who couldnt build a motorcycle to be competitive in the class it was designed for.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
they were actually saying that the Buell was easier to flick back and forth.

im all for trying to make things equal. but why are they rewarding a company who couldnt build a motorcycle to be competitive in the class it was designed for.
I don't know man..all the races i have been watching, they have been saying the Buell is harder to throw around...they have said it each race.

As far as bikes being competitive, its not just one make on the box each week, so I am happy about that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts