Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was noticing something about my riding style the other day. Of course, as I get more and more miles under my belt, I'm more and more comfortable taking corners faster and leaning over further. I just started paying attention to my foot position, and it got me thinking. When I have my boots on, I have the footpegs all the way back against the heel of the boot, so that my feet stick out...also, I tend to rotate my toes outward a bit.

Which got me to thinking...If I'm in a curve at speed, leaned over just a little further, won't the toes of my boots touch the ground before the peg? and if it does, wouldn't that bring my foot to a screeching hault, while the bike and the rest of me keeps going, ripping off an appendage that I would prefer to keep?!?!?

Or am I worrying too much?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Put the balls of your feet on the pegs when taking corners.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
isnt that... common sense?

and no, if you drag a boot it wont instantly make you crash, you should have plenty of time to adjust your foot or the bike when that happens.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
gahdzila said:
...... wouldn't that bring my foot to a screeching hault, while the bike and the rest of me keeps going, ripping off an appendage that I would prefer to keep?!?!?

Or am I worrying too much?
No your not worrying to much sir!!! It is a fact that moto riders have lost toes in lowside crashes due to boots being ground down to the flesh much like a block of balsa wood on a belt sander. Keep the balls of your feet on the peg while digging into turns and boots with sliders also helps. I haven't lost a toe yet but I fear that one day it will happen...

·
The Well-Leathered Mod
4,614 Posts
I used to ride the same way, but when i would get leaned over nice & far, my boot would touch down & rip my foot off the peg.
Made for a few pucker moments.

Since I started putting the ball of my foot on the peg, it hasnt happened once.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Good god! You guys worry too much.

You know many decades ago racers used their toes as lean angle indicators because they didn't hang of the bikes like we do today. Ago, Hailwood and Geoff Duke all did this and none of them lost a foot because of it. ::)

If your foot touches the ground all that will happen is the soft rubber will be worn away and cause a nice smooth bevel on the outside of your boot sole. Think of it as a badge of motorcycling honor like a scuffed knee slider. :)

Racers often drag their pegs on the ground and that doesn't cause the peg to be ripped off or the bike to crash and an aluminum footpeg is a LOT hard than your boot.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Keep the ball of your foot on the peg at all times except when shifting/breaking. That way you'll get into the habbit of keeping the ball of your foot on the peg.

·
Registered
198 Posts
If I drag my toes my flip-flops get ripped off my feet. ;D

Ball of feet on pegs, toes pointing forward. And proper footware so that you only sacrifice your toe sliders.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I've gone through alot of toe sliders at the track (average 1-2 sets a weekend) and never had my foot pulled of the peg or any instability in the bike caused by this.
If you are dragging toes on a regular basis then you should seriously look at boot with toe sliders (replacable style) and try working on you foot position.

·
Registered
336 Posts
yea, def. ride on your balls....... when you get to the point where you start touchin down toes with new rearsets and feet in rite positions, then you know you are really pushin it. i found that out this week, i swear i was 1/2 inch from lowsiding. i def. need to get my leathers soon so i can tell how far over i really am.

·
Registered
836 Posts
owndjoo said:
yea, def. ride on your balls.......

Sounds painful. :eek:

I used to ride with the arch of my foot on the peg and my toes hanging down...it took a few moments of sudden foot grabbing mid corner to change that habit. Now I only really feel comfortable with the balls of my feet high up on the pegs and the rest of my foot arched upward towards me(side note: is it "upwards toward me" or "upward towards me"?). It makes it easier to move around and hang off.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I understand riding on the balls of my feet but why is it that I feel more a part of the bike if the peg is on the arch of my foot?  It feels as though I'm in the saddle lower on the bike instead of on top? Not only this but I've also seen the GP guys ride on their arches especially in turns.

Grav.

·
Registered
836 Posts
GraVitY said:
I understand riding on the balls of my feet but why is it that I feel more a part of the bike if the peg is on the arch of my foot?  It feels as though I'm in the saddle lower on the bike instead of on top?  Not only this but I've also seen the GP guys ride on their arches especially in turns.

Grav.
You've seen motoGP guys riding on their arches? I could get anywhere near full lean on the SV with my feet on the arches...and that was with rearsets.

The kawi's had even more rearset pegs....

I felt weird at first, Grav...but now I feel weird in the other position. :-\

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
GraVitY said:
....I feel more a part of the bike if the peg is on the arch of my foot...feels as though I'm in the saddle lower on the bike instead of on top...
yeah, me too. Much more comfortable with the peg in the arch of the boot. I dunno, I just feel "twitchy" when I ride up on my toes.

I havent dragged a toe yet, nor have I scraped a peg or dragged a knee. I'm still a newbie, I'm not there yet. I was just noticing that my toes are kinda "out" in my normal riding position, and it kinda scared me a bit.

So even if I do drag the toe of my boot a bit, it's not gonna cause too big of a problem? I shouldnt worry about losing control or losing a foot? lol

I guess if I get to the point that they're dragging, I'll swap foot positions or maybe get some nice boots with toe sliders.

·
Registered
336 Posts
they do ride on the arches........the outside foot should be grippin the peg in the arch when leaned over. I raced mx for years, so i'm just comfy on the balls of my feet. i cant stand the peg bein anywhere else. especially with the new rear sets.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've scraped my toes before and it's usually just a gentle tug at your foot.
I guess if you cranked the bike over quickly and dragged them it might pull your foot off the peg.
I still ride with my arches on the pegs.. but now make sure I tuck my feet in rather than let my toes stick out wide.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Grabbed toe once. Scarred the begesus outta me but the bike stayed right. Gotta get that foot position into habit.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ben_JamminVFCC said:
You've seen motoGP guys riding on their arches? I could get anywhere near full lean on the SV with my feet on the arches...and that was with rearsets.

The kawi's had even more rearset pegs....

I felt weird at first, Grav...but now I feel weird in the other position. :-\
I remember seeing an on board shot of Colin Edwards from a few races ago that just showed his left foot for several turns,
and it was arches on the outside and balls on the inside. I think that's true for most of the motogp.

At least that's what I can discern from pictures and on board shots.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts