Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been researching the rear shock swap and I am finally ready to pull the trigger. I have a 2003 sv650 naked, and I weigh about 185-190 before gear.

The shock is from a ZX14. I have read a lot of the threads concerning shock swaps, but I just want to confirm that I am purchasing the right replacement shock.

The things I am concerned about:

1. Is this a "no-cut" replacement shock for the 2003 sv650? (I understand that the 2003 has a bit more room to work with.)

2. Is this going to raise the rear of the bike a bunch?

3. Am I the right weight for this shock?

I don't know the year, but the description says is can be used on an sv650.

Thanks for your help guys, I know there is a lot of knowledge and a lot of helpful people on SVRider!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just put one in my 03.
1. went it really easy noting to cut on my sv, also naked.
2. I cant really tell you for sure. I also swapped from a 160 rear tire to a 180 but with both its doesn't feel a whole lot higher then it was before.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
I put that exact shock on my '08 SV and it was a direct bolt on. I had to remove a plastic piece between it and the battery box but that was it. You won't need any of that hardware bolted to the bottom of the shock though. I think I used one of the nuts and bolts from that assembly but nothing else other than the shock itself. It was almost the exact same length as the OEM shock I removed from my bike and didn't change the ride height at all.

Might be a bit over sprung for your weight but try it and see. You can always dial out a little pre-load.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I put one on my '03. Unlike the '08 above, you won't have to remove the plastic piece near the battery box because of the '03's unique frame. I did not notice any change in height.

The 14 shock will probably be a bit stiff for your weight (I am 250 all geared up and it's perfect for me).

It took me under an hour to swap out the shock.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How do we five out which shocks are compatible? I was thinking an 03/04 gsxr1k shock was my best bet for my 03s.
There is a lot of good threads concerning this topic on SVrider. The ZX10/ZX14 shock works a little better than a GSXR shock because you will not have to cut away any of the plastics on your bike. Notice how the fluid reservoir on the shock is lower than on a GSXR shock. It is the really high fluid reservoir on most shocks that make them less than ideal for our SV's. It is also a direct bolt on.

If you have any other questions post them in this thread if you want.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have a 03 sv650n what rear shock can i swap rite out no fab i weigh 170. Is the 636 shock anygood.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a 03 sv650n what rear shock can i swap rite out no fab i weigh 170. Is the 636 shock anygood.

I think the rear shock you want is from a ZX10, rather than the ZX14 one that I am using. The ZX10 is sprung a little less and should be ideal for your weight. I am not sure which years ZX10 will work, but it must have the same configuration as the pics I have posted above (the fluid reservoir must be low). If you use the proper ZX10 it should be a direct bolt on. Make sure the shock you get is in really good condition! There is no use getting one with 50,000 miles on it.

!!Make sure you confirm this with other experienced users as I am not one of the suspension experts who frequent this site!! But if I am not completely correct, I am leading you down the right path.

·
Registered
675 Posts
what you are looking for is the resivor on the shock to be at a 90 degrees...its it not you will have some cutting to be down...i think the years are 2006-07

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

·
Registered
129 Posts
What about an 07 r6 traxxion dynamics shock never used what do u think and will it fit.

·
Registered
37 Posts
There is a lot of good threads concerning this topic on SVrider. The ZX10/ZX14 shock works a little better than a GSXR shock because you will not have to cut away any of the plastics on your bike. Notice how the fluid reservoir on the shock is lower than on a GSXR shock. It is the really high fluid reservoir on most shocks that make them less than ideal for our SV's. It is also a direct bolt on.

If you have any other questions post them in this thread if you want.

Thanks gws.

I know from reading that my stock shock is 330mm and for my body weight I need a 480 lb spring. I thought the 03/04 gsxr shock was my best bet.

Now I just need to figure out which shocks are contenders.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What about an 07 r6 traxxion dynamics shock never used what do u think and will it fit.

Thanks gws.

I know from reading that my stock shock is 330mm and for my body weight I need a 480 lb spring. I thought the 03/04 gsxr shock was my best bet.

Now I just need to figure out which shocks are contenders.

There are some good threads in this form that describe specific rear shock compatibility issues. I have posted a link to a very helpful spreadsheet that I found on an old thread. This should at least point you in the right direction. Make sure that you cross reference any specific information you find on the spreadsheet with at least one other source.

With this information in mind, I would still highly recommend a replacement shock with a low fluid reservoir, such as the ones you can find on 2006-2008 ZX-14's, 2006-2007 ZX-10's, and several other shock listed on the link.

Also, I am pretty sure that unless you have a 2003, there will still be a little cutting, but with the proper shock it should be minimized. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...enIwQjg2MTcwS2swVFF0TU5UX3c&f=0&rm=full#gid=1

·
Registered
37 Posts
There are some good threads in this form that describe specific rear shock compatibility issues. I have posted a link to a very helpful spreadsheet that I found on an old thread. This should at least point you in the right direction. Make sure that you cross reference any specific information you find on the spreadsheet with at least one other source.

With this information in mind, I would still highly recommend a replacement shock with a low fluid reservoir, such as the ones you can find on 2006-2008 ZX-14's, 2006-2007 ZX-10's, and several other shock listed on the link.

Also, I am pretty sure that unless you have a 2003, there will still be a little cutting, but with the proper shock it should be minimized. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...enIwQjg2MTcwS2swVFF0TU5UX3c&f=0&rm=full#gid=1
I have an 03. :p

·
Registered
594 Posts
So how about an 09 zx10r shock?
fits but requires cutting the battery box
length of 338 mm. a good thing for handling (stock is 330 mm.)
spring rate of 510 lb./in. - good for riders around 180 - 210 lb.
has both high and low speed compression adjustment, as well as rebound

·
Registered
996 Posts
Use ETSBK, Google and SVR to find what you need and current/previous threads.

I put on an 3 way adjustable stock 05-06 ZX-6R(636) shock, Raised the tail 10-13mm and quickened turn in on corners. A little stiff for my weight 200+# with full gear, works perfect with passenger/a weeks worth of gear.

Had to cut battery box on my 06 and used a smaller but better battery ( http://www.batteriesplus.com/produc...36312-Honda/CBR600F4i/600CC-2001-to-2011.aspx )

Great improvement over stock.

http://eviltwinsbk.com/forumz/index.php?topic=69.0

·
Registered
37 Posts
fits but requires cutting the battery box
Even on a 2003?

length of 338 mm. a good thing for handling (stock is 330 mm.)
spring rate of 510 lb./in. - good for riders around 180 - 210 lb.
has both high and low speed compression adjustment, as well as rebound
Sounds perfect for me. I weigh about 185-190 without gear and my gf will be on the back pretty often.

Use ETSBK, Google and SVR to find what you need and current/previous threads.

I put on an 3 way adjustable stock 05-06 ZX-6R(636) shock, Raised the tail 10-13mm and quickened turn in on corners. A little stiff for my weight 200+# with full gear, works perfect with passenger/a weeks worth of gear.

Had to cut battery box on my 06 and used a smaller but better battery ( http://www.batteriesplus.com/produc...36312-Honda/CBR600F4i/600CC-2001-to-2011.aspx )

Great improvement over stock.

http://eviltwinsbk.com/forumz/index.php?topic=69.0
Thanks for the link, I always thought that was an svrider link. My boss has an 09 zx10r shock and based on what I'm reading here I think it will be just about perfect for me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts