Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First the patient:

2001 SV650s
Modifications: Slip on Yoshimura Exhaust and possibly upgraded oil filter.

Symptom 1: Need to start with a little choke regardless of temperature or else it will cut out soon after starting. I turn down the choke 20 seconds later and it continues to idle fine around 950-1000rpm. The idle is slightly bumpy though and when I give it some throttle it seems to delay in response. Makes like a sputtering response then it catches to a smooth vroom. This sputtering only really occurs in the first 3-4 minutes riding.

Symptom 2: I can feel slight surging bucking even at even applied throttle which no matter the ride length continues to occur. It also has a pop every now and again while decelerating.

Ive ridden the bike for a few months and had a full service done at my suzuki dealer. It still does the above mentioned symptoms. Dealer will not touch the carbs while it has a yoshi exhaust because they say the bike needs to be rejet to account for it, which is something as a dealer they wont cover. They say shes running a bit lean.

So my question is: Do the above symptoms sound about right for a full carb cleaning/rejet/synch to you boys?

In all reality these symptoms arent so bad that I need this right now. I though am a perfectionist so I want to make sure shes purring as close to perfect as possible. Shes my baby and I love her haha. :vroom:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unless by raise the needles you meant adjust to allow more fuel for the exhaust on the carbs themselves since shes running lean.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
I'm talking about the jet needle that is part of the piston slide/valve assembly under the black plastic top on each carb. As the throttle is moved, the needle rises and lowers with the piston slide and meters how much fuel passes into the main air stream into the cylinder. The taper and shape of the needle also affects fuel flow, but for your issue with surging, raising the needle with one or two washers or installing an aftermarket adjustable needle from a jet kit will suffice in eliminating the surging.

You need to obtain a service manual to learn about your SV's systems.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
It's normal to need choke to start. The surging isn't normal. Could be a fueling issue, or even a worn out chain/sprockets, which happened to me on my 1gen. Pulled my hair out over surging, cleaned carbs, rejetted, finally gave up. Needed chain and sprockets eventually, and the surging went away. De-cel pops are pretty common, and not necessarily from being lean, although it could be.
You can get a "small washer pack" from radio shack, which has washers that fit on the slide needle perfectly, and work as shims.
I'd clean out the carbs, switch the pilot jets to 17.5, use a couple shims on the needle, and set the fuel screws to 2.5 turns.
I'd adjust the idle so when warm it is 1300 rpms. There is an adjuster on the left side which is a plastic dial you can adjust idle with.
$.02

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You all have inspired me. I went car mode on the SV. I bought a toolbox here in San Diego and I LOADED it with tools, especially specific to a motorcycle. I have offsets and every metric measurement known to man. I even have the Haynes manual and original suzuki manual.

To hell with having someone do it for me, im going to do it myself. I trust me more than a dealer any day of the week and im an electrician by trade so if I was scared I would go to church.

I have bought Mikuni 140 and 145 main jets and a 17.5 mikuni pilot jet. I also got the seals for the float bowls. I also bought two oem washers to use as shims from the dealer for my specific oem needle. I created a carb-sync guage setup as well.

This coming weekend will be carbs. The following will be my trail tech computer guage. The week after that I will install a Eastern Beaver relay kit on the headlights and rewire my stock R/R because ive read how its basically a time bomb.

Thanks for the responses.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts