Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a ninja 250. I put 3,500 miles on it. I plan to have it for this year as well, which will get me up to around 9K miles. I am a college student and will owe 9 thousand bucks after graduation for my freshman year alone. However, I am an accounting major, and self proclaimed "smart" (11th in hs class, deans list with flying colors) so I am not too worried about a job after graduation. Also, this job will pay bundles.

I have 4800 saved up now, and will be making another 2.5-3 grand by the end of the summer. Also, next school year I will be working 20 hours a week. Would it be dumb of me to sell my 07 ninja for 2100 (hopefully) and upgrade to a $4-5K bike in November? I have such an urge to do so but I don't need my dad to end up being right, and me selling my 2 month old bike to go back to a 250.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
****it. i was hoping other 19-21 year old would answer to egg me on lol (no disrespect if you are in fact that young. you just seem more mature (compared to me i suppose)). I know that waiting is the right thing for me to do. I was looking for justification to be dumb. Is any bike, maybe on that is 3500 (only 1400 more) acceptable for me to jump too?

·
Registered
667 Posts
+1

I've made that mistake before, I almost made it again a couple of years ago, but my wife was the voice of reason.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Long list of pros and cons here. Socking your money into a CD and keeping the 250 longer may the better way to go, financially speaking. Basically it boils down to a purely economic decision vs. an impulse-driven decision to obtain a more powerful bike. Unfortunately, the desire for more power never ends if you let that way of thinking drive your decision-making process.

Have you checked into insurance rates on a bigger bike? For younger people, it can get expensive very fast. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm 19 also and bought my SV back in May...I would say go for it. It sounds like you have it planned out and it's not like you are borrowing more money to buy the bike and you will be working next year. The SV is amazing as I am sure you have heard. In the end you should know if it is a smart decision or not.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Have you checked into insurance rates on a bigger bike? For younger people, it can get expensive very fast. :thumbsup:

For me it is about $600 a year through progressive and I'm 19 with a clean driving record...the only thing is I don't have collision =( which would add another grand. So needless to say I take it easy most of the time.

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
I'm 19 also and bought my SV back in May...I would say go for it. It sounds like you have it planned out and it's not like you are borrowing more money to buy the bike and you will be working next year. The SV is amazing as I am sure you have heard. In the end you should know if it is a smart decision or not.

That's a really weak argument.

In the end? Yeah, he's trying to make sure that in the end it was a good decision.

If you have to ask, it's not a good decision. Then again, you can listen to other 19 year old kids who haven't the experience that the rest of us do.

It's up to you.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For the insurance issue, it will be in my fathers name, much like my 250 is now. Since I'm going to avoid an I4, I'm sure it won't raise too extremely (currently 220 annually).

Sorry ASC, I remember your bike now, which makes me remember who you are.. That Homer picture threw me off.

·
Registered
539 Posts
If you can buy it out right go for it! Don't get caught up in more loans and get over your head in debt.

This is just my .02 in the end it is your decision ;)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My new question, which was briefly brought up before, is a $3500 out of question for me? I respect all of these answers guys. I'm trying not to seem like a spoiled kid or anything.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We don't know if $3500 is out of the question. We have no idea of your finances. It seems you don't either.
Touche (sp?). All I know is that for the next 3 years, I owe for car insurance/bike insurance and texting. Those are my only expenses( my car should be good for a number of years to come). I am very good with money management when I get my mind set to it. Also, not to read the future or bank on a job, but paying off college shouldn't be too hard with a 45K entry level job while living in NE PA (not a crazy cost of living for a single guy **prays not to knock up some girl**).

This thread was quite the buzz kill but also a punch of reality. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Do it. You have been riding for awhile and if you think you are ready for something bigger then go for it. Trust me, you won't want to go back. If you were to sell you 250 for even 2k, and spend a portion of you saved money on a used SV then I think you're on your way. You can get an 04-06 for under 4k-4.5k so it's not like you are going into debt for it if you stick w/ paying cash.

The SV is a great bike but you should check into the insurance rates. You will see an increase but when I was 21 and had my first SV I was paying about $130 p/month. Get full coverage if you can afford it or at least liability, theft, and medical. Good luck.

Oh and I was 4th in my high school class, was on the dean's list in college etc. and I consider myself a smart guy but i made a slew of mistakes. Don't assume anything, experience is king.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
$2100 for an 07 ninja 250 with 9k miles? You can get $3500 EEEEEEEASSSSSY! add that with the money your going to have saved and you can buy a nearly new Sv cash for about half of what you'll have in your pocket...and be able to carry minimum coverage and save money there too.

I'd see where you are after this year plays out and make your plans then, accounting does pay pretty good but not untill your actually employed as one.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
$45K IF you get a job.
Well my college brags up their accounting reputation. It's also a very demanded field. If I don't get a job, my professors'/dean's getting a slap (not really). I guess I'm going to be a man for the first time in my 2 years of owning the title and reevaluate my financial situation this time next year.

Thank you everybody. I appreciate the honest opinions.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
$2100 for an 07 ninja 250 with 9k miles? You can get $3500 EEEEEEEASSSSSY! add that with the money your going to have saved and you can buy a nearly new Sv cash for about half of what you'll have in your pocket...and be able to carry minimum coverage and save money there too.

I'd see where you are after this year plays out and make your plans then, accounting does pay pretty good but not untill your actually employed as one.
For an '07 aka the ugly one? I'm planning on putting that puppy on CL and not taking below KBB retail. If i get near 3K i would be ecstatic.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts