Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Probably should've read your post 1st Brad, I was thinking about the Busch as I've seen it in Truck Stops for trucker's to use on alum. wheels. But figured it was just like Mother's (which I use a ton of)

Brad, can you explain the different Rouge compounds. I've bought some Tripoli and Jewlers Rouge which work well, but I think there are other grades I'm missing. Also I'm wondering if the colors of rouge sticks indicate the same product over different brands. I've never seen orange.

sorry to keep bugging you but based on your posts and pics. You the polishing guru 8)

·
Registered
139 Posts
acedeluxe said:
Brad, can you explain the different Rouge compounds. I've bought some Tripoli and Jewlers Rouge which work well, but I think there are other grades I'm missing. Also I'm wondering if the colors of rouge sticks indicate the same product over different brands. I've never seen orange.
Sounds like you have all you need. I used the same stuff you're using when I was using a buffing wheel.

This first to cut it:
http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/...ODUCT&iMainCat=433&iSubCat=435&iProductID=985

Then this to finish buff:
http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/...ODUCT&iMainCat=433&iSubCat=435&iProductID=842

Same stuff right? From what I remember, the other compounds are specialized for for other metals and plastic buffing.

The orange stuff I was referring to was an old liquid auto paint finish buffing compound my pop had lying around for like the last 20 years. It's just a rough cut clearcoat buffing compound I used with a paint buffer. Sorry if I confused ya. Sounds like you're on the right track.  I didn't use the Busch stuff too much when I initially polished it. Just for maintenance polishing. Don't know what to tell ya to use for a stripper.  I used the D.A. where I could and just hand sanded the rest. Also used some of these http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/...ODUCT&iMainCat=439&iSubCat=443&iProductID=995, but ya have to be careful with em' or they'll dig into the aluminum and you'll end up having to sand out the gouges you just made. :-\

Dackler, thanks! There's a few more pics of it in Igor's Rally gallery. http://goskaguy.com/index.php?view=photoalbums&gallery=svrally2005

Davidant_21, the swingarm is off a 04' Yami R1.

The rest is:
Seat/CF solotail - Honda 954
Frontend - 04' GSXR750
Exhaust - pieced together from a Full Yosh SV system and a Yosh Honda 600RR slip-on.
Headlights/mirrors/windscreen  - 01' Yami R6
Fairing  - Ken Glenn SVR6 kit
Rest is little bit and pieces from other bikes and a bunch of aftermarket tidbits.
Lots of homemade pieces too.

I spent WAY too much time on Ebay over the winter!  ;D Often joke about putting Ebay on the side of the bike.

Recent mods include a dented and scratched tank and duct tape holding that once pretty carbon fiber tail together ::)(track day boo boo). 

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Cool beans then, I thought for sure I was supposed to step down throughout a range of rouge but tripoli does do a pretty good job. I think the jeweler's rouge I've been using is a waste of time, the Tripoli alone produces a great shine after sanding.

My process:

-sand off anodized finish with 150 grit on D.A sander
-hand sand the 150 grit marks using 180 grit in one direction
-step down to 240,320,600 grits still sanding in the same direction
-sand with 1200 grit and maybe step back up to 320 or 600 if I spot deeper scatches
-buff with tripoli
-buff with red jewler's rouge
-protect with Mother's aluminum polish
-bore the wife with before and afters ;D
-put back on bike
-blind self with chrome like parts in the sunlight :D

Any body with suggestions please pipe up. I intend on doing most of the bike's aluminum so If you've got timesavers, please correct me.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Davidant_21 said:
was there much work in fitting that swingarm?

YES!!!

Was a total nightmare! Had to shave down the swingarm quite a bit, make sleeves for different bearings and make lots of pieces from scratch.  Would not suggest it to anyone!!! Plus you have to go with the undertail exhaust or reroute it anyway.  The lower support of the arm is right where the normal exhaust comes out on the right side. :-\

Ace. I didn't go near that fine grit sandpaper. Have a feeling you will be the polish guru from now on. ;D

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.