Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone polished their frames/passenger pegs hangers?

Looking for tips/products to acheive my mirror polished frame this winter while bike is parked. Also how did you remove the stock coating?

Thanks in advance

E

·
0 Posts
Stock coating can be removed with oven cleaner or have it plastic bead blasted at a commercial blasting firm. Blasting will run around $50-75. Aircraft stripper will also remove the coating, but can be tricky to work with as it eats everything.

The best polish job, one with no waves in it at all, is achieved by hand sanding and polishing. Buffing wheels, drills with pads, etc will give it some wave unless you're damned skilled at polishing. Hand polishing takes forever though!

After you've polished it, be sure to use a sealer such as Zoop. This way, you'll keep the shine without having to constantly buff the oxidization off. Zoop runs $100-150 per kit and has enough to do 2-3 frames in the kit. See http://www.zoopseal.com/zoopseal.asp for info. You can get it at just about any automotive finishing store or on-line. I'm sure there are other products just like it that you could try as well - I'm just not familiar with them.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
a buddy of mine did something similar to his honda where he polished things and than clearcoated it. after a year, it still looks very shiny

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the tips, I used oven cleaner on an aluminum lawn mower part once and it made all these pits basically ruined it. Did I leave it on too long? I guess the paint removal from the frame is my biggest obstacle.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HA! after much practice and Trial and Error. I am the polish f'ing master. Did my heel plates this week and they are chrome like. I'll tackle the rear peg mounts next, one of which I've started already. This winter I'll tackle the entire frame and if it goes fairly quick, the wheels. Any other tips/hangups etc. are appreciated.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Frame's gonna be B. Gonna have to sand down all the rough casting. Could be worse. Try polishing the full wheels.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the link. read some of their other tech articles too. 15 pages to explain anodizing :-\

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
trick said:
did my rear sets to a mirror finish, takes for-f**kin-ever
:eek: :eek: :eek:
So what was your approach?

C

·
0 Posts
sicksv650 said:
a buddy of mine did something similar to his honda where he polished things and than clearcoated it. after a year, it still looks very shiny
Clearcoat, I never thought of that.
I always just had to repolish to fight the rust from forming on the polished aluminum.

T

·
0 Posts
acedeluxe said:
So what was your approach?
bench mounted angle grinder(1.5bhp) with polish adapter, three stage mops and three stage polish. took original coats off with oven cleaner as mentioned before. nice finish and i get compliments from people all the time but it was just such an effort to do, real blood and guts work, worth it though i think, and at least i can say ive worked for it.

trick

p.s. im sure there are easier ways but the finish i got really is very good so at least you know this method does work. hope it helps

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
;)right on, sounds like what I've been doing. Everyone tells me the whole frame polish is gonna be a bitch.

·
Registered
139 Posts
acedeluxe said:
;)right on, sounds like what I've been doing. Everyone tells me the whole frame polish is gonna be a B****.
It's just a whole lot more of what you've been doing. Plus quite a bit of sanding to get to the point where you can start polishing.  It's kind of a major PITA to sand down and polish the recessed areas where the swingarm pivot shaft and one or two engine bolts go. 

I polished everything on mine(frame,wheels,swingarm,forks,rearsets/heel plates,exhaust bracket). Looked very blingy. ;D The frame is the only polished piece left on the bike(due to more mods and... a cliff ::)).  That grinding wheel motor with the polishing wheel is gonna be your best friend(works the best). ;D  I'm not telling you not to do it, just saying be prepared.

Best advice to give ya would be to just keep on sanding it down with finer and finer sandpaper. You'll know when it's time to start polishing(starts to shine from the sandpaper alone).  ;)

For the guys that have had success with clear coating. Everytime I've seen polished items clearcoated, It made the item look like it was already oxidized. Hazy. Takes a good bit of the shine away. I'm talking cast aluminum, like sections of the frame.  I've seen forged aluminum clear coated where it wasn't near as hazy.  But cast polished aluminum would always get dull from the clearcoat.  Experience is based on polished automotive wheels (Worked for a custom wheel manufacturer for thirteen years). So... You're not getting that hazy appearance???

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
you da man rivited. about how long did it take you (hour wise) to do the frame, cause if there's time this winter, I may also consider the swingarm and wheels. I plan to start this sometime in November maybe early December when I park the bike for the winter.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Riv, do you have pics of the fully polished Sv? just curious to see the final product.

·
Registered
139 Posts
acedeluxe said:
Riv, do you have pics of the fully polished Sv? just curious to see the final product.
Only one. But I'll prolly have to wait til the weekend to send it to ya. It's on a computer about an hour from me. I had 6 or 7 of em', but the computer crashed HARD and I lost em' all. Luckily I had sent one into the photo album on here and was able to retrieve that one. Would guide you to it, but the website's album isn't working right now.

This is what it looks like now, but like I was saying, the only thing left polished is the frame.
From a friends photo album:
http://goskaguy.com/photoalbums/svrally2005/DSCF1036.JPG
In need of polishing when this picture was taken. Hadn't been polished in over 5 months at that point.

I'll try to Email or PM ya a pic of what it used to look like sometime Sunday.

How long did it take? The little recessed areas took a while.  I'm sure you could knock it out in a day or two if ya have the right tools and are very patient. ;D I did it off and on over a period of about two weeks. Was able to do most of the sanding with an orbital sander. Muscle power is all fine and dandy, but power tools are the shibit! Used some of what I'm gonna call sand paper flapper wheel bits(Wouldn't go to home depot and ask em' for that. Might get ya some funny looks.) and an old drill for most of the tight areas. I polished a lot of it with an old worn out buffing wheel on a right angle Pneumatic grinder with some rubbing compound(the orange stuff). Came up pretty easy. Had it sanded down good with some very fine grit paper though. Was already shinny from the sand paper.

I would seriously warn ya against polishing your wheels though. MAJOR PITA!!!! Lots of rough casting to deal with and most of the sanding is done by hand. A total PITA to keep clean!!! Always gotta keep on em'. Like wiping them down after ya ride in the rain. The frame surprisingly hasn't been that bad to keep clean.

The best polish(for the lazy man) I've found is from a company called Busch(like the beer). Think it was called Super Shine. It's the fastest I've found to get your polished stuff looking good from any bad state of corrosion. Mothers polish is great for getting it super shinny, but it sucks for badly corroded aluminum. Used to get customers calling up all the time saying their wheels were ruined. They were using the Mothers polish and it wasn't cutting it.  Busch polish would always get them out of my hair.  Don't get me wrong. Mothers is great stuff. It'll give it more shine than the Busch will ever give ya. Just doesn't handle the nasty stuff.

I'll get back to ya this weekend, Brad

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
i just looked at the pics and i want to know ALL the details of this bike. OMFG- soo soo hot!

like what seat, swingarm, tail, bodywork, etc......

-excuse me whilest I go change my pants

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
alright, update, I've got my heel guards, radiator sides and passenger peg hangers all polished like chrome now 8) I perfecting my skills to tackle the frame and maybe the wheels this winter. I need to post pics I know. I think I could speed up the polishing process by chemically removing the anodized coating as opposed to grinding it off like I've been doing.

I've been taking the coating off with a brass wire wheel which leaves alot of work to smooth out later in the polishing process. I've also tried sanding it off with a 150 grit sanding pad on a D.A. It seems like all my work is removing the scratches I put in by removing the anodizing.

I'm fearful of using the wrong chemical as I once put easy bake oven cleaner on some aluminum lawn mower barrels and it ruined the surface( bumps all over the aluminum, also became brittle.)

Is aircraft paint remover safe on aluminum. 1st hand accounts prefered. thanks in advance.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts