Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Most of you that have been riding a while have probably tried numerous different chain lubes over the years, like I have, and found that they all fly off and make a mess.

What do you guys think of using something like this - Hornady 1-shot - https://www.amazon.com/Hornady-99901-Cleaner-Aerosol-DynaGlide/dp/B007TNXGMK/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?keywords=hornady+one+shot&qid=1578321902&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyUzNBMEsxUEozTDNVJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNDM0NjY4MlU1OFNIQVBSUVkxRiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUExMDIyNTgyM0oxUTJSUUxFQVM4QyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

In this test - http://www.dayattherange.com/?page_id=3667 - it topped 45 other lubes/corrosion inhibitors.

Hornady 1-shot would provide excellent corrosion protection for the side plates as well as lubrication for the contact areas without being a heavy lube or wax that would fly off.

My only hesitation would be compatibility with the o-ring material.

EDIT: I think I'll find an o-ring and soak it for a while to see if there is any effect.

Ran across this test of other solvents/lubes on chain o-rings - https://advrider.com/f/threads/chain-o-ring-wd-40-exposure-effects-study-and-results.345397/

EDIT 2: The article did test the products for their effect on polystyrene (Styrofoam) -

Photo, Hornady 1-shot is in the 4th row down, 2nd from left - http://www.dayattherange.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/compatability1_zpsf42cb59c.jpg

It had no effect on polystyrene, which surprised me.

·
Super Moderator
8,400 Posts
i like KY Jelly...

so what makes you feel the need to branch outside the industry chems?

seems like the gun/etc kinds of lubes would be much more likely to fling off onto the tire or your pant leg

·
Registered
502 Posts
Could be worth a try, assuming it passes the o-ring test.

The best way I've found to reduce fling / mess etc is to apply the lube to the chain with a 1-inch soft paintbrush.

I put the bike on its paddock stand, spray a little lube (about a tablespoon) into an old spray can cap, load the brush with the lube and then hold the brush on the inside of the chain while spinning the back wheel by hand. This spreads the lube evenly over the rollers and between the sideplates around the o-rings.

You still get the odd spot of fling this way but much less than spraying direct onto the chain, and a can of lube lasts for years.

Using this method (mostly with Silkolene chain lube), I was still on the original chain & sprockets on my old K6 at 28,000 miles, sprockets had no 'hooking' and the chain had plenty life left.

Then I wrote the bike off on a patch of spilled diesel fuel - so I can definitely say that diesel is BAD for chains ;)

·
Super Moderator
6,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i like KY Jelly...

so what makes you feel the need to branch outside the industry chems?

seems like the gun/etc kinds of lubes would be much more likely to fling off onto the tire or your pant leg
I've never had a cycle lube stay put that well. Even after leaving it sit for a while and wiping any excess it still seems to get thrown off.

The Hornady product is very thin, not like a typical cycle lube or wax.

I was just impressed with its combination of lubrication and corrosion protection from the test and though it might work well on o-ring chains.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I use Muc Off dry chain lube after using kerosene and Muc Off dry chain degreaser. Absolutely no gunk

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Dis stuff

https://www.amazon.com/ACF-50-Spray-Corrosion-Formula-Motorcycles/dp/B07HX3VFH3/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2XE4ESCZ2QHQG&keywords=acf50&qid=1578368853&sprefix=ACF,aps,198&sr=8-5

Get the chain completely clean and dry, spray a bit on ACF-50 on a lint free cloth, wipe it on and then use a dry lint free to wipe as much off as possible. Repeat every 600 miles or after riding in rain. O ring chains are permanently lubed and need only to be properly adjusted (not too tight) and protected from corrosion. ACF 50 will eliminate the mess of conventional lubes while insuring maximum chain life. Seriously. I've got 20K on the 530 chain on my ZRX1100 and it's not done yet. The above link is for a lifetime supply, it's also available in an aerosol can from Amazon for around $17.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I never actually thought about using ACF 50 as chain lube, probably the best use for it actually, as it makes a mess anywhere else on a matte black bike.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Dis stuff

https://www.amazon.com/ACF-50-Spray-Corrosion-Formula-Motorcycles/dp/B07HX3VFH3/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2XE4ESCZ2QHQG&keywords=acf50&qid=1578368853&sprefix=ACF,aps,198&sr=8-5

Get the chain completely clean and dry, spray a bit on ACF-50 on a lint free cloth, wipe it on and then use a dry lint free to wipe as much off as possible. Repeat every 600 miles or after riding in rain. O ring chains are permanently lubed and need only to be properly adjusted (not too tight) and protected from corrosion. ACF 50 will eliminate the mess of conventional lubes while insuring maximum chain life. Seriously. I've got 20K on the 530 chain on my ZRX1100 and it's not done yet. The above link is for a lifetime supply, it's also available in an aerosol can from Amazon for around $17.

+10 :)

I work on Aircraft and every now and then I can even snag a can from a facilities stores but if not I sill always buy a can and keep it in my Garage and use it on all my electrics.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Check out this RyanF9 on YouTube. His review of chain cleaners and lubes, plus his other videos are entertaining and informative.

(Sorry can’t add a link as I am new here)

·
Registered
50 Posts
I usually hate to get on these thread. The lube on an o'ring chain does three things, inhibit corrosion, keep the o'rings themselves lubed, and cushion the rollers. 80/90 gear lube does all these things, is cheap, and does not get all gummy on the chain. Most of the alternative lubes mentioned prevent corrosion and little else. Chains usually fail when the o'rings deteriorate and let bad the lube out and bad stuff into the pivots. A modern chain will last a pretty long time no matter what you do. You could probably **** on it once a week and claim it's a great chain lube but a moderately heavy oil with a good cling factor is what is ideal. Spray lubes generally value convenience over other things and I hate putting that sticky crap on my chain. Liberally brush on the gear lube once every 500 miles and wipe of the excess. That's what has worked for me. If you're a logger, chainsaw chain oil probably works good too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Scottoiler. Automatic system. I've had them on every bike except my track bike since I first heard of them. 200-300% longevity in the life of chain and sprockets.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
I've been using DuPont Teflon Chain-Saver Dry Self-Cleaning Lubricant on my sreet and dirt bikes for a while now and I would recommend it. It sprays on thin so it covers and penetrates and then dries to a thin wax-like consistency. It contains teflon and moly and is o-ring safe. It won't attract dirt, repels water, and doesn't fling off. Great stuff. I get it from Amazon, where it has a 4.5 star rating.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
I've been using DuPont Teflon Chain-Saver Dry Self-Cleaning Lubricant on my sreet and dirt bikes for a while now and I would recommend it. It sprays on thin so it covers and penetrates and then dries to a thin wax-like consistency. It contains teflon and moly and is o-ring safe. It won't attract dirt, repels water, and doesn't fling off. Great stuff. I get it from Amazon, where it has a 4.5 star rating.
I use that stuff on my bicycles and it's great, as bicycle chains require lubrication. O-ring motorcycle chains do not. ACF-50 is better than anything at protecting from corrosion, completely eliminates the mess of conventional lubes, and my 20K mile chain still looks new.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts