Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

· Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I currently own an '03 GSX-R1000 that I bought new in '03, and an '03 SV650S that I bought a few months back. I really enjoy the SV's v-twin--it's a really rewarding bike to ride. The Gixxer has always been a great bike, but it somehow lacks the character of the SV, which I think has a lot to do with the I4 vs. a v-twin.

I've been planning on replacing the Gixxer with another v-twin. Initially I'd been thinking a Ducati Monster S4RS. (That's the one with the 999's Testastretta motor and the Ohlins suspension--basically the baddest Monster available.) Those things run around $15K brand new, but nice used ones are in the $11-$12K range. So it would be a justifiable expense if I sold the GSX-R, but I still need to finish paying off the SV650, which will probably take about six months, before I can take the plunge on a Monster.

However, I just found a really good deal on a brand new left-over SV1000S and am seriously tempted to buy it as a replacement for the Gixxer, because I can sell the Gixxer for close to what I'd pay for the SV. But here are my questions:

The SV650 was purchased with the intent that it be my wife's primary bike and my secondary bike. However, I can ride it pretty much any time I want to because she doesn't ride a whole lot. Would the SV1000 and SV650 be so similar that I might get "bored" because there isn't enough difference between the two bikes? (I used to have five bikes at once, and all were different styles of bike, so I like some variation day-to-day.)

I know this is probably blasphemy (at least as far as the Ducatisti are concerned), but if I buy the SV1000 (and spend a grand or two modding it) is there a good chance I'll still be pining for the Monster?

And one of the things I really like about the SV650 is how neutrally it steers. At lower speeds, the Gixxer requires a bit of effort on the inside clip-on to initiate and hold a line through a turn, whereas the SV650 seems to turn almost telepathically. Does the SV1000 steer as neutrally as the 650, or would it likely feel more like the GSX-R?

Thanks everyone!

· Premium Member
3,870 Posts
I've heard that the characteristics of the Sv1k and the sv650 are totally different. I haven't ridden the 1k, but people seem to enjoy the ridiculous, tire-melting torque.

However, if I were you, I'd get rid of the gix and try something else... Maybe like an S4RS, a Speed Triple, K1200R, or any other number of bikes. Variety is the spice of life, my friend.

· Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If it were me (and I had the dough), I would go for the monster just to mix it up a bit. I think I would get kinda bored having two overly similiar bikes.
Yeah, that seems to be the main dilemma. Even if the 1000 rides "differently" than the 650 but with the same good points (great sounding engine, neutral steering), it looks so similar that I wonder if that would bother me.

· Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would never sell my 650, but maybe if I were you I'd keep the gixxer as my warp-speed land rocket. Sell the SV and get something like a motard for real fun!
Negative on motards. I don't feel comfortable sliding around--I prefer to have my tires keep traction.

Honestly, the GSX-R is overkill for the street. I mean, the mid-range power is great for regular riding and even for group rides, but I rarely get a chance to use the 150-some rwhp the thing makes. Somewhere in the 120rwhp range should be sufficient for my wants.

And the 650 stays as that's my wife's only bike. Anything larger displacement would not be a good idea as she is a pretty inexperienced rider.

· Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
its all on how you ride. find one and ride it once, youll love it.
I'm sure you're right about that. Problem is, none of my riding buddies have a motard, and quite frankly, I don't recall ever seeing one on the roads in my area. So my chances of test riding one are slim to none. There aren't any dealers that sell motards in the vicinity either, so that's out. So I guess I'm just going to stick with what I know and love--"regular" sport bikes. :)

· Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here are some interesting numbers for you: 1200, 1125, 1098, 1050, 999, 848, 749, 675
Negative on the K1200R or S--too expensive, too heavy and too ugly.

I test rode an 1125R and while it rode decently, it just didn't have the feel of a $12K bike nor did it really capture my heart or whatever.

The 1098 is tempting, but I'm leaning more toward a naked bike rather than a supersport. I don't mind giving up a little cutting edge performance in exchange for more-tolerable ergoes.

The Speed Triple is an okay bike but doesn't really "do it" for me, looks-wise, and I haven't ridden one so I can't rely on its personality to endear it to me. Also, I pretty much want a twin.

The 999 gets nixed simply because I like the 1098 better as an open-class Ducati supersport.

The 848 is a nice idea, except that Ducati made up the $2000 in MSRP difference between it and the 1098 by cheaping out on the suspension and brakes--for that money, I want the good stuff, not the "let's throw it on there and hope they don't care" stuff.

The 749 gets nixed for the same reason as the 999.

The Triumph 675 is an interesting little bike and I wouldn't mind having one as a third bike, but I want a larger-displacement (read torquier) bike to replace my GSX-R. Also, I'd probably want to wait until Triumph updates the bike. All the magazine tests say that it's fallen behind the pack of current competitors since it hasn't been revised in a few years.

Sorry to shoot down all of those ideas, but I have considered many of them. I'm just about dead set on a Monster S4RS if I'm gonna spend that much money on my next bike. And assuming I don't get too tempted by the deal I've found on the new left-over SV1000S.

· Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The 1000 is a great bike, but wont give you the 120hp you are looking for, at least not without some$$$. I still think you would be happy with it though.
You have a 1000.. have you ridden a 650 for comparison? Does the 1000 steer as neutrally as the 650, or even close?

According to Sport Rider, the 1000 dynoed at something like 111hp. Surely a filter, tune and some mufflers would be good for a few more ponies across the board, right?

· Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Get a 1098, strip and sell off the fairings and make it naked. It probably won't look 'clean', but it'll be fvcking awesome and you'll probably make a fair penny from the fairings.
I honestly don't like the looks of most modified bikes. I'll take a stock-looking bike any day of the week.

Hell, the first "un-mod" I did on my 650 was remove the LED flushmount front signals and put the stockers back on. About the only aesthetic mod I usually make is a fender eliminator because the stock mudflaps are horrific.

· Registered
491 Posts
You have a 1000.. have you ridden a 650 for comparison? Does the 1000 steer as neutrally as the 650, or even close?

According to Sport Rider, the 1000 dynoed at something like 111hp. Surely a filter, tune and some mufflers would be good for a few more ponies across the board, right?

I wish I had ridden a 650 to give you a hands on comparison, but my sv1k was my first bike and I have never been on a 650. Check out SV-Portal.com
it is more sv1k orientated and they have a whole section on the forum with memebers that have had thier bike dynoed before and after mods, they seem to average like 105hp stock and upto around 111hp with the regular mods.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.