Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Riding home from work in a rural part of the state. Doing about 35-40 or so, maybe in 3rd gear. Road is still wet from a recent storm. I'm coming up on a stop sign on a gentle right turn and I start braking. Next thing I know, my back end is gently sliding to the left.
I get off the brakes and compensate for my back end coming around by steering into the skid. The back end then tries to pass me on the right. Luckily no traffic is coming as I slide through the stop sign. I stop about fifteen feet past the sign on the side of the road and catch my breath. Somehow I didin't lose my cool or the bike, and I thank whomever is responsible. The engine isn't running. It starts right up, but for the life of me I can't figure out what happened- a stall in third gear would cause the rear to lock up .

It was raining, but I wasnt' riding enough to get the front cylinder to shut off. Even then , I'd still have the rear for some power. This was more like a kill switch. I checked the kickstand one, and that doesn't activate until the kickstand is moved about 1/4 of its travel, so I didn't just hit a bump and activate that. I'm thinking that I failed to clutch when I came to the stop sign and stalled it, but it should buck a little before that happens, right?

Any help or suggestions welcomed.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Any chance you used too much rear brake and locked the rear?
Not too hard to do on an SV in the wet.
That'd bring the back end out, and stall the engine too if you didn't pull the clutch in.

·
Registered
295 Posts
That has happened a few times to me on dry, greasy streets of Chicago during sudden stops.  My guess is you may have laid off the front brake a little too much due to your awareness of the wet conditions and then had to overcompensate on the rear...  maybe braking too hard, too quick for the road condition and losing traction with one wheel.  Leaning into a turn probably hastened it, too.  Letting off all brakes slowly and reapplying as gradual as possible for the situation seems to work for me.  But some people think you should keep braking and ride out the rear tire slide, depending on the situation, for fear of ending up in a possible high-side.  It's funny, though, how you can keep your cool when you're resigned to the fate of riding it out as your only possible option.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I was caught in the biggest down pour of my life about a week ago and I had only ever ridden in rain once before. I started thinking about how they still run most AMA races in the rain and it just amazes me. I was in rain so heavy I almost drown my lead piston out. The worse part is that if you are in a area of the county full of people who dont know how to drive in any kind of weather, even rain, so you have cages running up your ass at 60 like it isn't even raining out. I was pretty proud of myself when I made it home that day and sure that I furthered my bond between man and bike....

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Damo said:
That'd bring the back end out, and stall the engine too if you didn't pull the clutch in.
Just what I was thining too. +1

·
Registered
500 Posts
Isnt it everyone's natural reaction to pull in your clutch in a rear tire skid though?

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
Damo said:
+2.

You'd be shocked how "common" it is for guys doing track days to crash in a turn and later complain that they had no brakes... this is usually a result of them panicking and not letting off the gas (though they did brake). Maybe you did over brake at some point and stall the engine...

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
I remember backing the rear out just like that from engine braking alone on a slippy road, not nice at all. I'm good with skids from the mountain biking i've done but with that all you do is control the slide and ride out. So I did that, and kept on sliding, and kept on sliding, since I tend not to do 60mph on the mountain bikes :)

·
Registered
836 Posts
shekshishekki said:
yeah this is why i refuse to ride in rain ever again :-D Its just not worth it...
Well...hey, that's your call...but I think it's mostly groundless.

I'm always amazed at others' amazement when I ride in the rain. Please...it just takes a smooth hand and some self-control.

Actually, I rode some twisties with Justin(Nimbus) in Williamsburg once in heavy rains...and we weren't being uber-conservative either. Then I got lost getting home and spent the next 1.5-2 hours in heavy rains. It was a blast!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts