Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Riding through Charlestown towards 29N I come up to a School Zone with a posted 15mph limit when lights are flashing. I slow up to 15, I'm cruising along and the next thing I hear are tires squealing(for what seems like forever) behind me. Once I percieve what the sound is I speed up and move over...they managed not to kill/maim me.

I looked back at them and shook my head, and pulled over to let them pass. The passenger waved at me feebly(I recognized him from my school) as they passed and I'm thinkin'.....I want to see you try that bullcrap wave when you don't stop in time and run over a motorcyclist and kill him, or paralyze him for life, or just screw his bike up. Keep on waving, 'cause driving's just a big, fun game after all. :roll:

I love my life too much to get it ruined by some punk switchin' radio stations or lookin' at hott chicks in the oncoming traffic lane. :x

So...lesson learned(the easy way): you can ride safe as crap and always keep an eye out on traffic surrounding you...but you can't control everything. But you can control yourself and your position and speed in that environment....I'll take those odds still. :)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Glad you didn't get creamed.

Always watch your 6. I commute in Houston traffic and I'm constantly scanning for potential threats.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jesse H said:

Always watch your 6. I commute in Houston traffic and I'm constantly scanning for potential threats.
Yea...

I wish there was a way to increase the effectiveness of my SV's tiny little brake light especially during sunny, daytime hours. But truthfully...the problem is much less with my brakelight as it is with the complete idiocy of some surrounding cage drivers(or rogue motorcycle riders for that matter).

·
Registered
6,316 Posts
Avoided a car wreck yesterday :shock: someone pulled out right in front of the car i was following BAM. Only about 25mph,i was able to stop,and pick my way through :)

·
Registered
449 Posts
sucks that that happened. The same thing happened to me once too at an intersection. I dont think i could have done anything about it. I guess i could have gunned the engine, but then i'd be in the middle of a busy intersection. All I could do was just sit there and wait for the impact. When that wave of rubber smoke enveloped me, thats when I knew I had dodged a bullet. whew. I was relieved and annoyed at the same time cause my sphincter was clenched up and it stayed that way for the whole day. I did the look back and the driver looked all crazy sweaty like he had been doing lines of coke off the dashboard. He had his hands up in the air as if I had a gun to his head. He was sorry so I let him off, but I did give him my mean face. I just didnt feel like getting into it with him cause well...he was a crazy sweaty guy.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Ben_JamminVFCC said:
Jesse H said:

Yea...

I wish there was a way to increase the effectiveness of my SV's tiny little brake light especially during sunny, daytime hours. But truthfully...the problem is much less with my brakelight as it is with the complete idiocy of some surrounding cage drivers(or rogue motorcycle riders for that matter).
I put a Back Off XP unit on my tail and it helps but I still tend to do a few weaves in the lane as I'm slowing down if someone is too close for my comfort. They will notice you real quickly if you start bouncing from the left lane marker over to the right one and back across in an erratic pattern.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Similar thing happened to me a little while ago.

Yeah, it's freaky isn't it? What I started to do is to tap the brake-- not enough to engage it, but enough to get the rear light to show so that the car behind me knows that I'm slowing. I do it several times so that the rear brakes is flashing.

I don't know if it REALLY does anything, but I'm hoping that the brakes flashing is more apparent than just a static bright brake light.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Vilrog said:
Similar thing happened to me a little while ago.

Yeah, it's freaky isn't it? What I started to do is to tap the brake-- not enough to engage it, but enough to get the rear light to show so that the car behind me knows that I'm slowing. I do it several times so that the rear brakes is flashing.

I don't know if it REALLY does anything, but I'm hoping that the brakes flashing is more apparent than just a static bright brake light.
kinda like a brake light modulator http://www.xtrasrally.com/backoff.htm

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
wouldn't you have slowed DOWN to 15?

glad you were able to escape. i would have still at least mentioned something to the guy once i saw him at school

·
Registered
722 Posts
I've gotten into the habit of looking quickly behind me anytime I have to stop or slow down quickly. Double edged sword though, because if the car in front that I'm stopping for hits something or slows even faster, I'll likely hit them if I'm not careful.

Glad you're not hurting Ben

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
i've always watched behind me when i'm slowing down and stopped. i'll even keep it in gear and be ready to move until the car behind me comes to a full stop.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
Been there many times, whenever I hear squealling tires I get real nervous... the big problem is you have to take the time to look around before reacting, it would sure suck to jump in there way by accident.

Just Saturday I was in my car, it was raining and the guy behind me locked up his wheels. I was at a red light but there was no traffic so I pulled up a bunch to give him room. Nothing like the guy behind you eating dinner/surfing the radio/talking to his extended family/playing with his GPS, etc...

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
Jesse H said:
Me too, Ben's too cute to die.

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Glad you didn 't become a hood ornament Ben!
The one time I had a close call was when I was in the Liberty Tunnels, stuck in stop and go traffic. Right behind me was a beat to hell and back Chevy one ton with the remains of what looked like 100 dead christmas trees twined to the bed. I remeber thinking"Man I'm glad he's not riding my ass, I don't want to pick pine needles out of my jacket." No sooner did I finish the thought and he was rear ended by someone doing about 40 mph. Since I had nowhere to go inside the tunnel, the only thing that saved me was he had left me plenty of room. When he stopped from the collision, there was about 20" of space between his bumper and my rear tire. The rest of the ride is all a blur, because of the adrenalin that showed up just a touch too late

·
Registered
75 Posts
Glad that you are OK - I had a similar experice in front of my local school last week (crosswalk meat grinder thread - deleted with the lost month).

Watch behind you when slowing for obvious crosswalks/flashing lights as nothing is obvious to those who are oblivious. I also like to employ the "Big Weave" side to side weave when I'm not sure if the cage behind me is awake.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I heard tires squealing behind me for the first time today as I was making a left off a major thoroughfare here in Charlotte. It's quite frightening.  It's a 35 MPH speed zone, but most traffic goes 45.  I was slowed down to a crawl waiting for opposite direction traffic to clear.  I moved as close to the center of the road as I could before traffic cleared and I got out of there ASAP.  I looked back and saw cheap labor in a white work van sideways, at the end of his skid.  He had a smirk on his face but he didn't look in my direction and drove off.

Lesson learned: I'm invisible on my bike, keep an eye on 6 and always have an exit strategy.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts