Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Holy crap.....bad day.

1st gas goes up to $1.29/Liter (Canada) ...thats like $5.00/gal us...
Then I get a call that my 9 year old black lab has been attacked by another dog, and is pretty messed up.

Then, to the whole point of my post, I am riding home from work as per usual....but its pissing rain.
I exit off the highway as per usual onto a 270 degree off ramp loop followed by a two lane intersection with a street light, at which I turn a sharp left.  i normally rock around the off ramp, and hope to get the  green light so can i do the cool right to left s-turn action.  I slowed down for the rain (45 kph) on the ramp, and saw the green light ahead....finally some goodness in this all crappy day. 

There is some traffic in the left most lane, and i'm the only one in the right (they both turn left). I'm totally happy for a split second.......THEN I see two guys crossing the intersection.  They were hidden by the mini-vans in the other lane.  I'm not sure if the cross walk lite was on or not....but i guess it doesnt matter at this point.  So i'm thinking 'crap, its wet, i'm leaning over a lot, and i gotta stop'.    Then I HIT THE REAR BRAKE like an idiot.  Of course it locks up and the arse end of the bike starts sliding out.  I panic and hit the front, which also locks up.  Now i'm doin a full out power slide with both wheels locked.    Like i said, I was going quite slow so i put my feet down and hoped for the best......Then I hit the painted cross walk lines....which are like snot on rainy days....   The two dudes are stopped like deer in headlights and will not jump out of the way at all....Thats when for some reason unknown to me the bike stopped......just inches from one of the guys....

They were pissed.  I thought I was getting smacked for sure.  I apologized and escaped before they got too upset.

I feel like a total idiot....and am pretty happy the bike didnt go down, and that i didnt hurt anyone. 

Its kind of strange though that I normally dont wear full gear to work.  just my  Helmet jacket, jeans, and sneakers.  But today i got totally decked out from head to toe.

So kids, just remember, when its raining, and you've had a crappy day, keep er chill so you dont run over anyone.  and oh yes....ALWAYS WEAR YOUR GEAR....i know i will from now on.

(p.s took the pooch to the vet and he's all fixed up with some bandages, lots of shaven fur, and delicious antibiotics)

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Cool story, Hansel!

Get ready for some guys to attack you for "being stupid." Don't sweat it. You lived and you learned. And hooray for your dog... kinda, I guess.

Josh

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If anyone wants to attack me for being stupid go ahead.

I dont really think it was stupid at all.   I was travelling below the posted speed limit, and within what i thought were my abilities considering the weather.  I dont even know the dudes had the right of way....because EVERYONE here ignores the crosswalk signals and just walk across anyways.

I realize I panicked, and that was stupid....but hey, everyone messes up sometime.  i've been riding for most of my life (dirt 14 years, and street 3 years) and this was the 1st time i almost messed up.   

No one's perfect, and besides I can take s**t as well as the next guy ;D

·
Registered
76 Posts
good save man.....we can all be as careful as we wanna be....but sometimes shit happens

·
site supporter
6,095 Posts
Riding anywhere, but especially in traffic, requires that we keep calculating escape routes from any possible situation. The more people, cars and crap moving around in the area, the greater the number of possibilities for somebody stupid to ruin your day. Face it, as much as we like to imagine ourselves as fleet mechanized athletes blithely tripping through traffic, we are (in fact) less capable on average of stopping and turning than cars. And teh consequences to ourselves when we hit something/-body can be more serious than a comparable hit in a car.

Your mistake was to anticipate a brief moment of pleasure in that traffic area, instead of anticipating a couple of warm bodies in the crosswalk (just beyond the minivans), or any other number of hazards that can be expected in an intersection. You learned a valuable and cheap lesson; don't make the world teach it to you again.

You live; you learn. Ride well and be happy.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Colin, it looks like you got out relatively unscathed; obviously by the "accident". But also by abuse on here for it!

It must be because I said something about it. If I could turn back time... :-\

Josh

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ShaggyZ said:
Colin, it looks like you got out relatively unscathed; obviously by the "accident". But also by abuse on here for it!

It must be because I said something about it. If I could turn back time...   :-\

Josh
Yeah really.....I thought for sure I'd at least lose a few karma points but they went UP........Maybe I shoulda said that I ran over an old ladies puppy dog or something.....

No really though....It was a little dumb of me to rock those turns at rush hour in the rain.....but I've learned my lesson.  Its funny because I showed up at my girls place tonite in full gear and she immediately said "what's up with all the gear....you almost kill yourself or something???"......Pretty funny.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Colin-- Nice save, especially not releasing the rear brake after you realized it locked up. Don't know if you practiced emergency stops (I won't say 'panic breaking') or not but your instinctive reaction seemed to be the correct one. Bike stays up, no pedestrian tag, only fatalities being some stained shorts. Call it good...

And just cause I'm a jerk: Riding in the rain requires more lead time or 'space' to react to the unexpected. Please ensure that you are looking far enough ahead under adverse conditions... [ducking]

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Six Chin Skinny said:
Colin--  Nice save, especially not releasing the rear brake after you realized it locked up.  Don't know if you practiced emergency stops (I won't say 'panic breaking') or not but your instinctive reaction seemed to be the correct one.  Bike stays up, no pedestrian tag, only fatalities being some stained shorts.  Call it good...

And just cause I'm a jerk:  Riding in the rain requires more lead time or 'space' to react to the unexpected.  Please ensure that you are looking far enough ahead under adverse conditions...  [ducking]
Yeah....I wouldn't call it insinctive reaction......more like ---'oh crap...' just lucked out. And yes, I do practice emergency stops.....just never in the rain while turning...Now that i look back skidding along sideways with both wheels locked up was kind of neat......but i NEVER want to do it again.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Luck, training, or natural instinct? Methinks maybe you have the MotoGP genes. ;D

I just pray I have the wherewithal to remember in that split second to stay on the rear if I lock it up...

Ride well, amigo...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts