Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figured I'd post a "hello" in case your Mods like to kill accounts with 0 posts :)

I started riding on a...
94 Yamaha XJ600 that came in a convenient box. Discovered:
1) I hate a rack of 4 carbs. Syncing isn't so bad really... It's the fact that theres 4 diaphrams ($$), and that generation of XJ didn't have carb rebuild kits available for them.

Never got it running great, but after having to rebuild the carbs 3 times a year I got sick of it and moved on.

then I bought a very nice, very low mileage
87 Sportster 883 with a big touring tank and drag pipes. Discovered:
1) Tuning and working with a single carb is still more of a hassle than I want in a recreational vehicle (luckily Harleys are like ace holes and you can't turn around without tripping over parts for them)
2) I like torque. <40ish bhp on an 87 883 was meh but if you launched at about 2500rpm it would still knock you onto the pillion pad if you weren't prepared for it
3) I like torque
4) How much I hate forward controls and drag pipes
5) How much I liked having decent brakes and suspension. A 500+lb bike with very bad brakes and suspension makes you pucker a bit in even light traffic.

Then I traded the sporty for an
03 CBR f4i with beer logo stickers, geared way higher than stock. Discovered:
1) Even with the higher gearng I miss the torque. I'm shocked at how much I miss the torque.
2) I miss having handlebars (Clip-ons don't mix with carpal tunnel syndrome very nicely)
3) I don't ever want to touch a carburetor again. I would even like my lawn mower to have fuel injection...
4) I can't afford to rev the CBR past 10k rpms on the roads I enjoy riding. 10k RPMs in 1st with my gearing is 45mph. I like my license. My job depends on it and my non-existent criminal record :) But that means that 20% of the power band of this bike isn't used, at all, and 40% is barely used. Seems like a waste... And while I have spun it up a bit more in the twisties, a SV can do everything I've done on the CBR and more, just as well, but with more torque.
5) One of the instructors at a local track rides an SV very effectively so I'm sure when I get to that point an SV would be more than enough for some novice action.

So here I am, researching fuel injected SVs :) More torque everywhere in the rev range. More HP in the rev range that I actually use while riding. That v-twin sound... :rock:

and if DOVERB reads this... HI! Bdubs or Chilis Friday? ;) :D

·
site supporter
6,051 Posts
Welcome, you filthy lurker.
The SV seems to have plenty of torque at most every road speed, so I hope you will be satisfied with your eventual purchase. You probably realize that the SV has a flimsy suspension, but there are numerous upgrades to address that weakness.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome, you filthy lurker.
The SV seems to have plenty of torque at most every road speed, so I hope you will be satisfied with your eventual purchase. You probably realize that the SV has a flimsy suspension, but there are numerous upgrades to address that weakness.
Filthy? :naughty:

Based on what I've seen at the track? I don't think I'd need that unless I go quite a ways beyond novice.

BUT!

Sport bike forks, traditional and USD, can transplant onto any bike with a bit of research. And I would probably swap some USDs onto it just for cosmetic reasons. I'm also a member on CustomFighters.com and a huge fan of customizing and minimizing everything. I converted my XJ to naked, I would have bobbed the sportster if it wasn't such an old pig and I've pulled alot of the plastics off the CBR. Hell, I'm even removing unnecessary parts from my car. :vroom:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts