Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After hanging out here, and occasionally posting a note or two, I put a deposit today on a 2008 SV650S ABS. I wanted an N, but beggars cannot be choosers, and I happy to get what I did. The Ninja will go in trade, and with luck, I'll have the new bike before the week is out.
They offer a 72 month extended warranty for 700 odd dollars. I've never done an extended warranty before, relying on taking good care of my bikes. Any opinions on if they are worth it?
Barry

·
Registered
750 Posts
Meh,
If you are going to sell the bike before 6 years is up the warranty will certainly be an added value. It's piece of mind too. If you work on bikes it is probably not worth it though. If you are a person who takes it to the dealer for all services, work, etc, it is probably not a bad deal. Learning to work on your machine is a wonderfully fulfilling part of riding a bike. You could get most of your tools and some decent gear with your $700. Do whatever will give you the most peace of mind. Feeling good about your major purchases and not living in fear are two things I find to be priceless.

PS--CONGRATS on the new bike. The SV is a wonderful bike.

·
Registered
459 Posts
you could always take off the parts and make it an N.. they you either have the S parts to put back on, trade em out, or sell em.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've always done my own work. I'm thinking that I will not get the extended warrentee.
Barry

·
Registered
720 Posts
in my opinion, as someone who purchased it then decided against it(and only got $600/800 back), I wouldn't get the extended warranty.

First, I've heard nothing but horror stories about warrantied repair and getting thigns covered. Second, you are basically betting that your bike will break. Third, the likelihood of a true mechanical defect that would be covered by the warranty causing problems AFTER the first year instead of earlier on is pretty **** low. And lastly, good luck proving after 3 years that it was a mechanical defect in the engine or something that caused problems, and not something that happened after.

If I ever purchase new again(don't plan on it), I definitely won't be getting an extended warranty unless it's like $100 for 5 years of coverage.

·
Premium Member
2,566 Posts
Skip the extended warranty. It doesn't cover maintenance items anyways, and the bikes comes with a manufacturer's warranty to address any issues (and most issues will become apparent under the standard warranty).

Is there a tiny chance some issue will pop up after the standard warranty is over....yes....but not enough chance to make it worth $700 for the warranty IMHO.

·
Registered
23 Posts
was the ninja a 250? if it was, were you glad you started on a smaller bike instead of a 650? ignore if not. i have a sv sitting in my garage (never ridden before) and kinda nervous about being able to handle it. But i'm 6' 180 lbs if that makes a difference. congrats on the purchase as well.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
was the ninja a 250? if it was, were you glad you started on a smaller bike instead of a 650? ignore if not. i have a sv sitting in my garage (never ridden before) and kinda nervous about being able to handle it. But i'm 6' 180 lbs if that makes a difference. congrats on the purchase as well.

I started on a Rebel 250, but hadn't ridden in four years when I bought my SV (so I was effectively starting fresh on the SV). It isn't hard to handle...It does have a little more 'sensitive' throttle with the low-end torque, but that's easily tamed. I'd suggest you go to a parking lot and goose it a little going straight just to get the feel of what it's going to do. Take it in baby steps...first just a quick flick of your right wrist, then hold it back for one second...then 5 seconds, etc.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
After hanging out here, and occasionally posting a note or two, I put a deposit today on a 2008 SV650S ABS. I wanted an N, but beggars cannot be choosers, and I happy to get what I did. The Ninja will go in trade, and with luck, I'll have the new bike before the week is out.
They offer a 72 month extended warranty for 700 odd dollars. I've never done an extended warranty before, relying on taking good care of my bikes. Any opinions on if they are worth it?
Barry
Complete waste of money. You won't have the bike that long and this bike is very reliable. Other than routine maintenance and tires you won't be spending any money on repairs.

I've had my '08 for 11 months now and I've put over 5,300 miles on it during that time. The only money I've spent on it so far (other than mods) was for routine maintenance and 1 set of tires.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I started on a Rebel 250, but hadn't ridden in four years when I bought my SV (so I was effectively starting fresh on the SV). It isn't hard to handle...It does have a little more 'sensitive' throttle with the low-end torque, but that's easily tamed. I'd suggest you go to a parking lot and goose it a little going straight just to get the feel of what it's going to do. Take it in baby steps...first just a quick flick of your right wrist, then hold it back for one second...then 5 seconds, etc.
The SVS is my first real bike, and I find the throttle to be very sensitive -- it took extra effort to not lose control of it. (You'll find all kinds of videos on Youtube of noobs janking throttles on their too-powerful bikes and losing control, skidding out the rear, etc.) My trick till I get better control of my wrist is resting one or more fingers on the brake lever (not pulling the lever, just using it as a stationary reference point) and using that as a guide to help control the twist. Helps keep a steady throttle on bumpy roads too.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Thats a good point, start with the fingers over the brake lever. It is totally against what they teach you in the MSF course, but it is a state of mind thing. If your fingers are resting there, then you won't wrap your hand around the throttle and open it up fully. Best of luck.

With the warranty, it is a 50/50. You spend the money on it and never use it, then you are ticked off. AND if you don't spend the money on it, and it breaks then you are ticked off again. IMO, just go with your gut feeling.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Ninja was a 250, which I bought as a commuter while gas was high, but found I could not restrict myself to just commuting. My prior bike was a Honda 500/4 that I kept way too long. I took the MSF course on the 500 back in the '70s (Navy requirement to ride on base), and it helps me appreciate that they use 250s now.
The Ninja was a great commuter in terms of gas and cost of ownership, but I live in New England and ride whenever the roads are clear, and it does not tolerate the cold weather well, though it does eventually warm up and behave.
Barry

·
Registered
285 Posts
The Ninja was a 250, which I bought as a commuter while gas was high, but found I could not restrict myself to just commuting. My prior bike was a Honda 500/4 that I kept way too long. I took the MSF course on the 500 back in the '70s (Navy requirement to ride on base), and it helps me appreciate that they use 250s now.
The Ninja was a great commuter in terms of gas and cost of ownership, but I live in New England and ride whenever the roads are clear, and it does not tolerate the cold weather well, though it does eventually warm up and behave.
Barry
Boy that sounds familiar... I got a 125cc scooter to save gas last summer... then it turned into the SVS (my wife still rides the scooter, she loves it). Now i'm not sure how much gas I'm saving when I ride over a hundred miles for fun... :vroom:

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It was a Ninja 250, but I was riding a Honda 500/4 before that. I liked the Ninja. I needed a cheap commuter at the time and I needed some time to see what bike I really wanted to own, as well as getting my confidence back after 15 years out of the saddle.
I was mostly 180 lbs (at 5'8") and the Ninja fit fine and got around fine.
Barry

1 - 16 of 16 Posts