Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, just picked up my first 2005 SV650. It had leaking forks when I got it, so I ordered All Balls Fork and Dust Seal Kit (56-132). Pretty dismayed when I tried to put them in the other day. Their OD is about 1mm larger than the factory seals (54mm rather than factory 53) and for the life of me I could not get them to seat properly. Every time I thought I was getting close I'd notice little ripples of rubber starting to get pushed up. Kept trying to re-seat and banged away until one of them started to tear. On the hunt for OEM seals now. Factory seals seat about halfway in the pocket before needing a tool to get them the rest of the way.

In Canada so shipping through Oneida is like $60 for $30 of seals, and all the local dealers are closed Sunday and Monday. Just want to get on my bike!

I've seen other people mention not having a problem with the same kit without mentioning which gen bike they've got. So I'm wondering if I suck, the seals are wrong, or they fit 1st gen bikes and not 2nd gen.

·
MOTORADOR
10,953 Posts
Thats odd. I've used those seals for my Gen2 (2004) without any issues.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Okay, Ive got a new theory. Just picked up OEM seals and the OD as the All Balls ones I have.

I just picked up this bike, it had rebuilt status, including front end damage which I know because the shop I bought it from replaced the front fender with a mismatched colour.

My new guess is that they've put 1st gen forks on a 2nd gen bike. But I need to dig a little deeper to figure it out. Numbers stamped on the side of the forks are X9341 - 3L and 3R. When I punch that into Google all I get are results for 1st gen forks.

Anyone wanna snap a picture of the numbers stamped on 2nd gen forks?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just put these in my 05's forks, I think youre on the right track with the first gen fork thing. ill check back in the morning on this thread and if nobody has taken a picture ill go out to the shed and check my forks for ya

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Spent some time looking at pictures of forks on ebay and I've convinced myself I've got 1g forks on a 2g bike. Back to the dealer tomorrow for a 3rd set of seals, and different weight oil I suppose.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts