Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone has heared of problems with taking the big rubber snorkel out of the front of the airbox on an 05? I did it and it seems to run fine, just a little more engine noise. Wonder why Suzuki restricted the air flow???

·
Registered
397 Posts
Noise

I've been running a de-snorkeled airbox for three months, not a single problem. It is just hellishly loud. It's actually louder than a lot of aftermarket exhaust pipes... Listen to my dyno run to get an idea. I'm running it with a stock exhaust.

http://www.nbriders.ca/albums/album84/SVDyno2.mov

Combined with an FI remapper (I have a Techlusion unit) it gives a slight midrange boost - but without, it does absolutely nothing other than make it sound wicked.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
It's for emission purposes mostly. However, removing it does not leave you with the best shape for an airbox if you're looking for more air flow. Removing the top of the air box and using some type of adhesive to keep the filter in place (but still be able to remove it later) is a better solution.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey, I'm a total noob here-- had my '05 naked for three months now, and I decided to take out the snorkel today just to see what would happen. Well, maybe it's just me convincing myself that there's an actual change, but I would swear in court that, apart from there being any power gains to be had from the desnorkeling, the engine revs just a little bit smoother than before. Of course, I could just be seduced by the loud honking from the airbox circa 4,500 rpms! Anyways, all I know is that I couldn't wait to get back on the bike after work let me out-- well, I was anticipating getting back on more than usual tonight-- and the Bay area's quite cold and nasty on this particular evening!

·
Registered
134 Posts
TestaStretta said:
Noise

I've been running a de-snorkeled airbox for three months, not a single problem. It is just hellishly loud. It's actually louder than a lot of aftermarket exhaust pipes... Listen to my dyno run to get an idea. I'm running it with a stock exhaust.

http://www.nbriders.ca/albums/album84/SVDyno2.mov

Combined with an FI remapper (I have a Techlusion unit) it gives a slight midrange boost - but without, it does absolutely nothing other than make it sound wicked.
That sounds great you say that the Fuel Injection mapper that gives it that great noise. I have my snorkel taken completely out and have had for months and there was only one little tiny part of a leave in there when I just opened it up a few days ago. I want to hear more about this mapper and the sound it creates.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I took my snorkel off my 03 SVS tonight. It sounds good, but I didn't get to take it for a ride yet. I'll find out how it sounds when I'm riding it on the way to work tomorrow. Definately very easy to do.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
it might just be me making things up again but i swear it gives mine a little more top end, just a barely noticable amount

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
sounds like crap below 7k.. but above that it sounds like a monster :eek:

I put my snorkel back on because it was a lil too loud for street riding... and seeing as how I'm usually cruising at 5-6k it doesnt sound so cool. :p

·
Registered
36 Posts
What about a 1000 snorkel? I have one but I haven't put it on yet.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
svsMD said:
What about a 1000 snorkel? I have one but I haven't put it on yet.
what about it? ...

·
Registered
81 Posts
The 1000 snorkels let more air in than the 650 snorkel, and would probably be a little quieter than removing it altogether.
It should be as simple as unclipping one and plugging in the other.

Any chance you could try it and let me know? I'd like to know if it's a worthwhile mod myself ;)

J

·
0 Posts
I run a 1k snorkle on my bike. I personaly like it however it is all preference. I can say that you dont need to take off the top of the air box to remove or install the snorkle simply grab it and yank. It will save some time. Enjoy.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well, I put on my 1k snorkel, and i must say it was an improvement. I didn't notice to much difference in sound, if you want it to be loud, take the snorkel off.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts