Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've looked around and have seen a few different air filter things for this bike, anywhere from just changing to a K&N filter to filter pods to a box mod on a 3rd gen. I was wondering if anybody has done something to their bike for a noticeable improvement no matter how small or large. Airbox, no air box, air box mods? I know that it also may require some rejetting or carb adjustment. Please let me know your thoughts, and what has worked for you. Thanks!

·
Administrator
11,024 Posts
At the risk of oversimplifying things, the airbox is needed to equalize the air pressure between strokes for a smoother combustion and ride. Don't remove it or install pods.

What you can do is widen the intake hole on the stock filter (easy with a Dremel tool and a bit of patience) to allow more air to flow in for moderate performance gains. Your carbs will need re-jetting. You can do that with a K&N filter as well and you will also need to re-jet your carbs accordingly.

Another helpful trick that you can combine with the above one is to add a few shims (washers) under the front mounts of your tank to lift it about 1/4" and allow more air to flow into the filter/airbox.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At the risk of oversimplifying things, the airbox is needed to equalize the air pressure between strokes for a smoother combustion and ride. Don't remove it or install pods.

What you can do is widen the intake hole on the stock filter (easy with a Dremel tool and a bit of patience) to allow more air to flow in for moderate performance gains. Your carbs will need re-jetting. You can do that with a K&N filter as well and you will also need to re-jet your carbs accordingly.

Another helpful trick that you can combine with the above one is to add a few shims (washers) under the front mounts of your tank to lift it about 1/4" and allow more air to flow into the filter/airbox.
I thank you for your reply! I contemplated something like that but then wondered if removing the built in venturi would cancel any benefit. I also contemplated the thought if a 2nd or 3rd gen air box, and would it have any improved benefit and if it would fit. It looks good on paper ! LOL! My thoughts on this is that they changed design for better air flow for the fuel injection. I wondered if anyone tried that..

·
Administrator
11,024 Posts
As far as I know, the Gen2 and Gen3 air boxes don't fit under the Gen1 tank nor are a direct fit over the FI throttle bodies.

I have an "opened" K&N on my Gen1. It took me a while to nail the right jetting but now it purrs like a kitten at iddle and accelerates nice and smoothly when I open the throttle.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As far as I know, the Gen2 and Gen3 air boxes don't fit under the Gen1 tank nor are a direct fit over the FI throttle bodies.

I have an "opened" K&N on my Gen1. It took me a while to nail the right jetting but now it purrs like a kitten at iddle and accelerates nice and smoothly when I open the throttle.
I thank you again for you help on this! I did open my stock filter and I'm waiting for the rain to quit to do a test run. My fuel mixture is already running rich so I'm curious of how this will react. I've had this bike for 3months now and know it needs some work ahead but just toying with it for now.

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
Have you searched this site for info?
There must be 1000's of posts on this topic. And most of the people who actually had hands on experience and knowledge have moved on, so the old answers are going to be more complete and better than what you get now.

That said...you're not going to get a "noticeable" improvement just by desnokeling the stock filter. You will feel a small difference if you rejet properly. I used a Factory Pro kit, with a 17.5 pilot, 142.5 main and the needle clip in the middle position. That's with an opened up filter and a full M4 system.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There must be 1000's of posts on this topic. And most of the people who actually had hands on experience and knowledge have moved on, so the old answers are going to be more complete and better than what you get now.

That said...you're not going to get a "noticeable" improvement just by desnokeling the stock filter. You will feel a small difference if you rejet properly. I used a Factory Pro kit, with a 17.5 pilot, 142.5 main and the needle clip in the middle position. That's with an opened up filter and a full M4 system.
I thank you Rich for your reply. I am just looking for small improvements here and there to make it more Efficient, the exhaust issue is a no brainer, but air flow, fuel mixture, ignition components and timing tweaks/ improvements make it more power by being more efficient. Could you please give me info on this pro kit and where to find it? I will be researching ignition part upgrades next, any help with info on this would be welcomed as well. I know there are a lot of mods to give it a lot more power, but My direction is to keep it simple and efficient. I have done my share of mods and power improvements on my 79 Pontiac T/A.

·
Super Moderator
9,069 Posts
...I know there are a lot of mods to give it a lot more power, but My direction is to keep it simple and efficient.
Not for power but hands down, the best mod you can do for a gen1 SV650 is replace the stock Regulator/Rectifier (if not replaced already) with a cool running MOSFET R/R. The stock R/Rs are notorious for failing, can strand you, and fry the bikes electrics (battery, bulbs, ignitor, gauge) $$$.

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
I thank you Rich for your reply. I am just looking for small improvements here and there to make it more Efficient, the exhaust issue is a no brainer, but air flow, fuel mixture, ignition components and timing tweaks/ improvements make it more power by being more efficient. Could you please give me info on this pro kit and where to find it? I will be researching ignition part upgrades next, any help with info on this would be welcomed as well. I know there are a lot of mods to give it a lot more power, but My direction is to keep it simple and efficient. I have done my share of mods and power improvements on my 79 Pontiac T/A.
Factory Pro is the brand. Google will get you the rest of the way.

Basically there's three simple things to do for a bit more power. Full exhaust, jet kit, desnorkled air filter. All together that's about 4-5hp.

Not a lot of similarities between a 2-valve pushrod V8 that was strangled by emissions requirements the car companies hadn't yet figured out how to meet, and a modern 4-valve DOHC bike engine.

·
Super Moderator
9,069 Posts
If you want to keep it simple, the stock SV ignition system is more than adequate. The plug cap and cap to high tension wire connection sometimes have issues but overall the system is fine, virtually no power gain to be found here.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Factory Pro is the brand. Google will get you the rest of the way.

Basically there's three simple things to do for a bit more power. Full exhaust, jet kit, desnorkled air filter. All together that's about 4-5hp.

Not a lot of similarities between a 2-valve pushrod V8 that was strangled by emissions requirements the car companies hadn't yet figured out how to meet, and a modern 4-valve DOHC bike engine.
Hey Rich,Thanks for the info! Get this, my T/A gets 21mph on the highway, does 14.42 in the quarter mile and passed emissions test with hardly any of the epa stuff on it. But yes we are comparing two different animals! LOL

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you want to keep it simple, the stock SV ignition system is more than adequate. The plug cap and cap to high tension wire connection sometimes have issues but overall the system is fine, virtually no power gain to be found here.
Thank you TEE for your reply! It isn't necessarily only a power gain I'm looking for but efficiency, if everything is working well you'll be getting the max power out of it. Kind of like an untuned engine with a dirty air filter compared to a well maintained engine. So now I know there's no improvement parts for the ignition system I will just make sure all parts are in good shape. I've had the bike for 3months and don't know how old various parts are and slowly researching things for improvements if I need to replace parts. Also researching for easy inexpensive tweaks. Thanks again

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not for power but hands down, the best mod you can do for a gen1 SV650 is replace the stock Regulator/Rectifier (if not replaced already) with a cool running MOSFET R/R. The stock R/Rs are notorious for failing, can strand you, and fry the bikes electrics (battery, bulbs, ignitor, gauge) $$$.
TEE, I thank you again! I almost missed this post! This is definitely good to know when trying to have a reliable efficient machine!!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Since lock-down the performance of my SV650 has gone down a bit and it's got nothing to do with the extra 21Lbs I've put on. Yikes!!!!<grin> :D

·
Super Moderator
9,069 Posts
Just install titanium axles, then eat what you like, you will be fine. : -)

It is always good to trade unsprung weight for sprung.

·
Registered
5 Posts

I bought a modified Gen 1 SV-650 last year, it had an Ivan's jet kit installed along with Modified K&N, Full Yosh headers, and Gen 2 cams. Dyno'd at 77HP, and F/A is spot on. Ivan's Performance Products

1 - 16 of 16 Posts