Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I was taking my tank off my bike and checking my air filter and when I took the air filter off I looked into the black housing that it sits in which sit on top of the carbs.  Is it normal to find oil in there?  I didnt find a lot just some small puddles of it in there. Let me know if thats is normal. I hope so

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Your crankcase breather tube goes into the air box, you will get a little vapor inside of it. If you over fill the crankcase you will get a lot of oil in there. To much pressure, blows out the excess. That help?

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
I had a topic about the same issue a while back. Liiks like it is quite normal, or harmless.

I got my 650 used, and the oil level was very close to the F line. Replaced it for storage and kept the level more or less between the lower and upper lines. What level does everyone else have? Should I fill it up to get the level closer to the upper line?

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
IMO, oil in the airbox is a symptom of overfilling the crank case, as previously mentioned. Recent thread on this topic: http://forum.svrider.com/index.php?topic=53471.0

I would adjust oil level accordingly and wipe up the oil that has collected, and I'm good to go.

Right oil level? Depends on whether you are operating or storing the bike long term. For operating oil level, the smart play is following the owner's manual. My shortcut for measuring cold oil level (still while level!) is just under halfway between "L" and "F". If you are storing the bike, apparently the best thing to do is fill the crankcase entirely; if you don't change oil before start-up, remember to drain some oil out to the operating level... HTH

***I am a hack mechanic on my best wrench day, so I may not be right. This is what works for me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts