Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heard in the news today that your government is going to tax 90% of the bonuses which were paid following the bailout, due to the public outrage (duh). Discuss.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
being unemployed, I'd be happy if I even had a job with a bonus to be cut.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
New York Times said:
Oh, and let’s not forget the bill that was passed on Thursday by the House of Representatives. It would tax at a 90 percent rate bonus payments made to anyone who earned over $250,000 at any financial institution receiving significant bailout funds. Should it become law, it will affect tens of thousands of employees who had absolutely nothing to do with creating the crisis, and who are trying to help fix their companies.
Full article

As Whatever said this is a frightening thing, that the Dem led congress is able to pass any crazy a$$ bill they want with out any ability to be checked or balanced. The fact that when the 'public' get angry about something they just jump and make rash decisions without thinking through the long term consequences is putting us into a much worse situation then we need to be in. Very scary!

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
my bonus got taxed so should theirs

·
Registered
667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by New York Times
Oh, and let’s not forget the bill that was passed on Thursday by the House of Representatives. It would tax at a 90 percent rate bonus payments made to anyone who earned over $250,000 at any financial institution receiving significant bailout funds. Should it become law, it will affect tens of thousands of employees who had absolutely nothing to do with creating the crisis, and who are trying to help fix their companies.
Full article

As Whatever said this is a frightening thing, that the Dem led congress is able to pass any crazy a$$ bill they want with out any ability to be checked or balanced. The fact that when the 'public' get angry about something they just jump and make rash decisions without thinking through the long term consequences is putting us into a much worse situation then we need to be in. Very scary!
What I saw on CNN was it only applied to people employed at companies that got over $5B in bailout money as well as the 250k pay.

I read today that AIG is sueing the Gov to get back all the tax payments they made this year, and are using the bailout money to fund the lawsuit.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
We wanted our tax money back that we gave them which they handed out in bonuses...we got 90% of it back. It's better (for them) than having to release the names of those who received bonuses so as they could be literally burned at the stake.

if it were up to me, the execs at AIG would be doing hard labor and would have had all of their assets seized.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
We wanted our tax money back that we gave them which they handed out in bonuses...we got 90% of it back. It's better (for them) than having to release the names of those who received bonuses so as they could be literally burned at the stake.

if it were up to me, the execs at AIG would be doing hard labor and would have had all of their assets seized.
If it were up to me I would have let the proverbial "Darwin effect" take place like it always has in our capitalist/free market system. Why reward people for making bad decisions and doing a bad job with someone elses money so it can be [email protected]@ed away too before you eventually go out of business anyway?

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

I heard the some of the ceo's of large japanese companies did not take bonuses at all, because of the economic climate. It was just self sacrifice to try and keep their companies in afloat. Kinda shows the difference in culture huh?

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I heard the some of the ceo's of large japanese companies did not take bonuses at all, because of the economic climate. It was just self sacrifice to try and keep their companies in afloat. Kinda shows the difference in culture huh?
Well at least they did'nt throw themselves onto their swords.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
my bonus got taxed so should theirs
I can't believe this one slipped through...
you're bonus got taxed 90%? oh wait no that's right it didn't, the bonuses that got will be taxed the normal amount, which will prob already be more than yours was taxed cause the bigger the bonus the higher the tax rate...if this BS 90% thing gets passed whatever they would have paid will just be increased to the 90%.

Please think before you write :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,581 Posts

AIG didn't get a gift of $190B-ish, it was a loan, they are expected to pay it back, which is why the gov't wants to keep putting money into it so that it will hopefully revive and then pay the loans back, problem is that you can only do that to a point and then you're just throwing money away.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
What I saw on CNN was it only applied to people employed at companies that got over $5B in bailout money as well as the 250k pay.

I read today that AIG is sueing the Gov to get back all the tax payments they made this year, and are using the bailout money to fund the lawsuit.
andif you read the NY Times article it points out that there are many companies that have gotten bailout money that are doing a good job of trying to turn their companies around and that many people who are not contributing to the econ crisis would be penalized. You can't expect the gov't to go in and take back the money that was given in bonuses, the best way for this to be solved would be to let the people that got the bonuses decide that they would rather decline the bonuses under the current situation because its for the better of the whole. Its called free market because you let things equal each other out. If they decide they are to money grubbing to help their fellow Americans out then they deserve to go bankrupt and loose everything, which goes back to the gov't not trying to interfere with business.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts