Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called Aftershocks in Palo Alto today and asked them how much it would cost to install my Hagon shock and install new shocks for my front.

They quoted me $225 for the teardown, $250 for a revalve (?) $60 for something (I didnt write it down) $10.50 for oil, so about $550 for the whole deal. This is WITHOUT emulators (which they didn't recommend until I started track days).

Anyones thoughts on this? Does this sound like a good price? I think they are going to help me set the sag, etc for the bike as well.

Thanks

Mike

N

·
0 Posts
$550 to install a shock and change (rebuild?) the fork? Sounds like an awful lot to me, unless they've got some very special mojo. Maybe three or four hours labor max.

I'd like to know how they will revalve the fork on your SV too. I'd at least get another quote; it sounds like they've got you mixed up with a GSXR--

·
Hall Monitor
2,738 Posts
I've been extremely pleased with the revalve/respring/shortening job they did on my GSXR shock. That being said, they did all of that for something like $330 with shipping included. Of course if you're going to ride the bike there and have them install the Hagon shock, there's going to be some labor there.

As far as the forks go, I'd be interested in what they recommend. Most people just swap out to heavier springs (according to rider weight) and the appropriate oil, with the emulators thrown in for better selectivity in controlling compression damping. Sounds like they plan on doing some internal mods as well?

Hard to say without knowing more details, but then again, an awful lot of AFM (local amateur racing organization) racers choose AfterShocks for their suspension needs.

Bill

·
Registered
22 Posts
The Hagon shock you can do yourself I did mine in my driveway and it only took about an hour with the help of my brother inlaw we just jacked up the bike on my toyota's stock jack and did the change. I had goodtimes suzuki in Sac put in my front springs from sonicsprings and they only charged me $120 bucks.

J

where are you located there are a few traveling mechanic guys that are A+++ on work and price I could recommend if I knew where you are

·
Registered
93 Posts
The problem I have with anyone who says that they can do it all with fork oil and modifying the damper rod is simple. They generally use an oil mixture which your not privy too. So when it comes to change fork oil, you don't have much choice but to go back to them. Else you risk guessing the weight they used and ending up with either too much or not enough damping.

I think Lindermann is the same.

Andy

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
johnparjr said:
The Hagon shock you can do yourself I did mine in my driveway and it only took about an hour with the help of my brother inlaw we just jacked up the bike on my toyota's stock jack and did the change. I had goodtimes suzuki in Sac put in my front springs from sonicsprings and they only charged me $120 bucks.

J

where are you located there are a few traveling mechanic guys that are A+++ on work and price I could recommend if I knew where you are
Can the shock be a 1 man job? I could try to do it myself. I have done most of the maintenance and fork oil change on the bike myself. The write-ups on the site don't look too bad, other than getting the bike up and the bolts off!

I'm in San Francisco. The reason I wanted to go with Aftershocks is because I wanted to get the suspension set up properly and I heard these were the guys to go to. Maybe I should do most of the swapping myself and then bring it into them for fine tuning?

Just anxious to start riding again!

Mike

·
Registered
37 Posts
tripleboston said:
johnparjr said:

J

Can the shock be a 1 man job? I could try to do it myself. I have done most of the maintenance and fork oil change on the bike myself. The write-ups on the site don't look too bad, other than getting the bike up and the bolts off!

I'm in San Francisco. The reason I wanted to go with Aftershocks is because I wanted to get the suspension set up properly and I heard these were the guys to go to. Maybe I should do most of the swapping myself and then bring it into them for fine tuning?

Mike
The shock is an easy 1 man job if you get something stable to hold up the back of the bike. I hung mine from my garage ceiling with ratchet straps

N

·
0 Posts
Swapping shocks is not a big deal, just basic wrenching. No prob!

I'm trying to figure out at what skill level it'd be worth the $$$ to go to a "supension boutique". No insult intended towards Aftershocks or anyone else. I'm sure that they can get 100% out of your suspension, but is it really money well spent for the typical street rider/ track day newbie?

By "outsourcing" the suspension set up you miss a valuable learning opportunity. Since the SV has so few adjustments it's a perfect platform to experiment and learn basic suspension setup. You gain the knowledge and the ability to alter your bike's setup as your skill level/ preferences/ equipment changes.

Anyway, I'm sure you know what they say about opinions...

:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
uspshtr said:
tripleboston said:
johnparjr said:

J

Mike
The shock is an easy 1 man job if you get something stable to hold up the back of the bike. I hung mine from my garage ceiling with ratchet straps
Rear stand work or do I need to get the weight off the swingarm?

Mike

·
Hall Monitor
2,738 Posts
Gotta get the rear end suspended with all the weight off the wheel. I did as others have, hanging the rear subframe from the rafters. Beyond that, it's a straightforward bit of wrenching.

Bill

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
What exactly do you want done to the front? Just springs but no emulators? If you can change fork oil you can swap out springs. Shock isn't too hard to do yourself either, especially if you have a bolt-on replacement like the Hagon.

I wouldn't pay more than $100 to get it all done if you decide to take it to an expert.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
NOsquid said:
What exactly do you want done to the front? Just springs but no emulators? If you can change fork oil you can swap out springs. Shock isn't too hard to do yourself either, especially if you have a bolt-on replacement like the Hagon.

I wouldn't pay more than $100 to get it all done if you decide to take it to an expert.
Just want to upgrade the suspension to get a nice, safe, solid ride. I have changed the fork oil so far.

Right now I am thinking of making the changes (shock and springs) and then taking it into the suspension experts to fine tune it. We'll see though. Haven't had much luck getting the springs ordered from Racetech.

Mike

·
Registered
537 Posts
i've had good luck w/ aftershocks. if you bring the shock to them, it will be alot cheaper.

they'll need to modify the tank mount as well as shim/cut the battery box if it has a piggyback resavoir.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts