Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to the Penske website, the 8983 series shocks are owner rebuildable, assuming you have the necessary tools. Anybody here tried a rebuild themselves? Difficulty level? Tools needed?

I bought a ZX10R shock off ebay last week, but looking at it next to my gen 1, I don't know if I'm interested in doing the mods necessary to fit the Kawi shock in that little space. So, I'm considering a Penske/Fox/Ohlins instead. I don't mind the upfront cost so much, but what I've read is that they need rebuilding every 3-4k miles. That would make the whole affair much more expensive, me thinks. Anybody have info on total Penske/Fox/Ohlins ownership costs? If I can do the maintenance myself, I'd be much more inclined to "spring" for the good stuff.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
The shocks (Penske) are really easy to take apart and put back together. They sell all the tools needed, but really I think you could do it with common tools. The oil is pretty cheap, and so are the seals. I don't imaging you need new seals every time, either. The more difficult part is the nitrogen to fill the reservoir, not many people have that (or the filling setup) sitting around. My dealer will add N2 for pretty cheap, but then I have to rely on them setting the pressure correctly...

Oh, and the ZX10 shock is also supposed to be rebuilt every now and then, it's just that it is cheaper to buy another one on eBay than rebuild it. You have to be careful when you buy one on eBay, because maybe it is in need of service.

Plus a purpose built (Penske/Ohlins/etc) shock is going to work much better for the bike and give you better results and better adjustability off the shelf.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I'm sure there is someone around the detroit area that can do the nitrogen shot.

The ZX10 shock I bought was from an '07, so couldn't have had too many miles. Paid about $100 shipped so, I could repeat that trick 6-7 times for the price of the Penske + rebuilds.

I've got a Penske 8981 pointed that the seller is willing to part with for $450. That sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts